Weight Estimation of Horses
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Weight Estimation of Horses

This is a discussion on Weight Estimation of Horses within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Horse weight estimation
  • Horse weight estimation by height

Like Tree5Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    01-21-2012, 01:13 PM
  #1
Foal
Weight Estimation of Horses

Hi
I'm new to this, so hope i'm doing it right!!
I'm a Equine Management Student, doing a dissertation on Weight estimation in horses and ponies and the accuracy of different methods

I was hoping some people may be willing to spend a couple minutes to fill in Part 1 and 2 of my survey

Please feel free to send me any other comments you may have.
Many Thanks!!
C

Part 1:

Weight Estimation in Adult Horses and Ponies (Part 1) Survey

Part 2:

Visual Weight Estimation of Horses (Part 2) Survey
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    01-21-2012, 02:09 PM
  #2
Green Broke
Okay, so, when are you going to post how much they weigh?

Or rather, do you plan to post the results of the survey?

Inquiring minds want to know.....
     
    01-21-2012, 02:30 PM
  #3
Trained
If you want folks in the US to take your survey, you might include approximate conversions from kg to lbs. I took my guesses based on an approx 2lb/kg conversion to get to approx where I thought each horse was. Not real accurate especially at higher weights, but I don't have a calculator handy to really do the math.
csimkunas6 and gunslinger like this.
     
    01-21-2012, 02:55 PM
  #4
Green Broke
Visual estimations are just that, sorta like all the height measurements, by people that have never weighed or measured a horse.
I don't see how a tape measure can be accurate. So many variables in weight. That is like saying all 6 foot tall men are 180lbs. I wouldnt trust any weight guess unless I saw the horse on a scale.
     
    01-21-2012, 02:56 PM
  #5
Started
I'd be interested in seeing results also. And posting in lbs would help a lot of people in the us. It was kind of a pain to go though and times the kgs by 2.2 to figure out what the ranges were in lbs. But I was bored so I did it. Some people may not want to take the time to do the math.
     
    01-21-2012, 02:57 PM
  #6
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe4d    
visual estimations are just that, sorta like all the height measurements, by people that have never weighed or measured a horse.
I don't see how a tape measure can be accurate. So many variables in weight. That is like saying all 6 foot tall men are 180lbs. I wouldnt trust any weight guess unless I saw the horse on a scale.

LOL, when I take my horses to the vet, I make a game of guessing how much they'll weigh when they get on the scale. I'm usually pretty close, within 20 lbs.
     
    01-21-2012, 03:44 PM
  #7
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians    
LOL, when I take my horses to the vet, I make a game of guessing how much they'll weigh when they get on the scale. I'm usually pretty close, within 20 lbs.
In your case, Id take your word. You have actually put a horse on a scale, most people I talk to make all kinds of claims, "Oh he's about 1200 lbs,"
Oh really ? Have you weighed him? "um no" have you ever weighed any horse ? "um no" have you ever even seen a horse weighed ? "um no" Sorta like all the "about" 16 hand horses I have went to look at that were barely 15.
Um you know this horse is only 14.2 hands, (me standing there with a tape measure)
     
    01-21-2012, 04:18 PM
  #8
Weanling
When I was in college we weighed approx 20-30 horses on a weigh scale and people were estimating weight. Lets say not a single one reached the 1200 lb mark that everyone likes to say their horses are. My 14.2 Horse/pony was a whopping 775 lbs. Weigh tape had always put her at about 700 lbs. I think they are accurate within 200 lbs.
     
    01-21-2012, 06:13 PM
  #9
Trained
Yep Joe. Every horse that is for sale seems to be "about 16 hands". I guess that means that they are standing on blocks.........
GhostwindAppaloosa likes this.
     
    01-22-2012, 12:16 AM
  #10
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe4d    
In your case, Id take your word. You have actually put a horse on a scale, most people I talk to make all kinds of claims, "Oh he's about 1200 lbs,"
Oh really ? Have you weighed him? "um no" have you ever weighed any horse ? "um no" have you ever even seen a horse weighed ? "um no" Sorta like all the "about" 16 hand horses I have went to look at that were barely 15.
Um you know this horse is only 14.2 hands, (me standing there with a tape measure)

LOL, sounds like the infamous Arabian measuring stick gets used by more than just Arabian folks....Can't tell you how many 15.3hh horses I've gone to look at that didn't come up to my chin.....I'm 5'3" in my cowboy boots, so 15.3 hh at the top of my head! Not under my chin.

I'm lucky, when I haul someone in to OSU, no matter what it's for, we use the scale and it's helped me really develop my eye, at least for my horses. Looking at those pics and guessing, will be the first time I've ever done it on horses I don't own and on something other than an Arab or Arab X, so it would be interesting to see the results and see if I was even in the ballpark.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I need help with my horses weight Cowgirl07 Horse Health 27 09-14-2011 03:11 PM
horses weight-getting fit SarahRicoh Horse Health 2 08-18-2011 07:27 PM
Horses weight? drafts4ever Horse Health 5 11-04-2010 01:56 PM
Trying to put weight on my horses Rowzy Horse Nutrition 9 04-18-2010 11:29 AM
estimation of height by cannon mattanittaallen Horse Health 3 03-07-2009 09:40 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0