Weight loss, loss of appetite in old horse - Page 3 - The Horse Forum

 9Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 30 Old 07-25-2012, 04:56 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Posts: 8
• Horses: 0
I would soak the shreds in cool water in the summer and then warm water in the winter...I would do a whole bucket and then a few tablespoons of molasses or honey and I may be way off but I think it actually increased her appetite some! Or perhaps it was just that she got it and the boys didn't! Since colic has been in your gals past I suspect the extra water in soaking it can only be a good thing!! The more fluids the better
HorsinaroundinFTC is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 30 Old 07-25-2012, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 14
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsinaroundinFTC View Post
I would soak the shreds in cool water in the summer and then warm water in the winter...I would do a whole bucket and then a few tablespoons of molasses or honey and I may be way off but I think it actually increased her appetite some! Or perhaps it was just that she got it and the boys didn't! Since colic has been in your gals past I suspect the extra water in soaking it can only be a good thing!! The more fluids the better
Thank you for the ideas!

As she is cushings (we highly suspect anyway), I cannot put any simple sugars in/on her food so molasses/honey are out. I would like to soak pellets (due to concern about colic) and agree that more fluid is better, but she is refusing soaked food/mash/pellets with water covering them at the moment. She is SO skinny that she absolutely must eat, so she is getting dry pellets.

As of this morning, she is back to eager eating (but not bolting) of timothy pellets and Healthy glow. I may try soaking some again and see if I can get her interested in mash. If I can, will add the beet pulp as well (or try beet pulp mash).
EasterBunny is offline  
post #23 of 30 Old 07-25-2012, 05:09 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Just south of sanity
Posts: 16,224
• Horses: 3
Easter, they do make beet pulp pellets, if she won't eat it soaked. Mine eat those dry, and I don't worry about choke so much as with the shreds.

You want the truth? You can't HANDLE the truth!
Speed Racer is offline  
post #24 of 30 Old 07-25-2012, 11:28 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Southcentral Kansas
Posts: 1,591
• Horses: 5
A lot of Beet Pulp has molasses added for palatability. They do have it without the added, but sometimes it's hard to find. I have soaked, drained, rinsed etc when I was not wanting the sugar in it. If the water is brown when you soak, it has molasses in it.

Appyt is offline  
post #25 of 30 Old 07-26-2012, 12:29 AM
CCH
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: ND
Posts: 645
• Horses: 0
Have you had a vitamin/ mineral test done? Not the hair pulling, but the blood analysis? There are only a few labs (I think) that have the capability to do it. It is different from a blood chemistry panel. UNiversity of Michigan does mine. I had a horse that the vet could find nothing wrong with, did blood panels, fecal & urine tests, teeth checked, wormed, tubed more than once to force fluids and feed, antibiotics and everything I could throw at him.

Even had our water tested for contamination. Finally I begged to have him checked for toxins from possible contact with flood water, and a vitamin/ mineral panel was all they could really do. Turns out he was severely deficient in some areas and required injected supplementation. 2 days after his first shot, he had his appetite back, after about 6 weeks, he had packed on the pounds to be up to a 3.5/4 on the scale.

The test is cheap, I think it cost me less than $50 with shipping. As long as your horse has normal chem panels, I would say that organ failure isn't *yet* the cause.
Posted via Mobile Device
CCH is offline  
post #26 of 30 Old 07-26-2012, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 14
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCH View Post
Have you had a vitamin/ mineral test done? Not the hair pulling, but the blood analysis? There are only a few labs (I think) that have the capability to do it. It is different from a blood chemistry panel. UNiversity of Michigan does mine. I had a horse that the vet could find nothing wrong with, did blood panels, fecal & urine tests, teeth checked, wormed, tubed more than once to force fluids and feed, antibiotics and everything I could throw at him.

Even had our water tested for contamination. Finally I begged to have him checked for toxins from possible contact with flood water, and a vitamin/ mineral panel was all they could really do. Turns out he was severely deficient in some areas and required injected supplementation. 2 days after his first shot, he had his appetite back, after about 6 weeks, he had packed on the pounds to be up to a 3.5/4 on the scale.

The test is cheap, I think it cost me less than $50 with shipping. As long as your horse has normal chem panels, I would say that organ failure isn't *yet* the cause.
Posted via Mobile Device
Good idea! This is one thing we have not done. I will ask the vet, I am sure she would be willing.
EasterBunny is offline  
post #27 of 30 Old 07-26-2012, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 14
• Horses: 0
Update appetite now seems good. Apparently on of the potential side effects of the cushings Med is lack of appetite while adjusting to dose. Still not interested in mash, so feeding hay pellets/healthy glow dry. Vet is off today, but going to try 1) fecal again to check for blood and 2) fit/mineral blood panel.

She wants to eat, so that is good. Therefore I am going to give her time to see if she can put on weight w cushings drugs and pelleted feed. I am not supper hopeful, but at least she seems bright and happy again.
kccjer likes this.
EasterBunny is offline  
post #28 of 30 Old 07-26-2012, 12:39 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 30
• Horses: 0
My guess is its her teeth, somewhere in there is a sharp tooth affecting her tongue. My then 39 yo appy/pony was off hay/food had vet do her teeth and found the back of her tongue was so badly cut up she had ulcers. They filed her teeth and slowly, with mouth wash/warm water she got better. She is now 41 and she can't tolerate the dentist thing due to tranqs she has to get. But we soak her hay stretcher with plenty of water she sucks all the nutrients out of the really good hay she has at all times in her stall. She has a separate area so can come and go as she pleases. She gets sliced apples every night cord/peeled for better chewing. I hope you find out whats happening. I have a postive/negative cushings mini pony and boy is that a pain. But obviously there is something going on in the mouth if her tongue is very swollen.
laturcotte is offline  
post #29 of 30 Old 07-26-2012, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 14
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by laturcotte View Post
My guess is its her teeth, somewhere in there is a sharp tooth affecting her tongue. My then 39 yo appy/pony was off hay/food had vet do her teeth and found the back of her tongue was so badly cut up she had ulcers. They filed her teeth and slowly, with mouth wash/warm water she got better. She is now 41 and she can't tolerate the dentist thing due to tranqs she has to get. But we soak her hay stretcher with plenty of water she sucks all the nutrients out of the really good hay she has at all times in her stall. She has a separate area so can come and go as she pleases. She gets sliced apples every night cord/peeled for better chewing. I hope you find out whats happening. I have a postive/negative cushings mini pony and boy is that a pain. But obviously there is something going on in the mouth if her tongue is very swollen.
Her tongue is not swollen in an "impacted" or ulcer kind of way. The whole tongue is large/swollen like you would expect with an allergic reaction (although did not respond to tri-hist). When vet scoped her, no signs of red spots, ulterations, rubs, site-specific swelling or anything on tongue/in mouth. All looked like normal, healthy tissue. Tongue is just enlarged to the point where space between tongue and roof of mouth is small. Vet said tongue swelling can happen with lymph node swelling, especially as things drain. Also possible with nutrient deficiency (also a possibility give her body condition). She seems to be swallowing better, but tongue is still enlarged.
EasterBunny is offline  
post #30 of 30 Old 07-26-2012, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 14
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appyt View Post
A lot of Beet Pulp has molasses added for palatability. They do have it without the added, but sometimes it's hard to find. I have soaked, drained, rinsed etc when I was not wanting the sugar in it. If the water is brown when you soak, it has molasses in it.
Thanks!
EasterBunny is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weight loss journey to a new horse.... annaleah Member Journals 3 01-02-2012 07:11 PM
Loss of appetite SarahAnn Horse Health 7 12-16-2011 08:30 PM
Depression/sluggishness, weight loss, muscle loss barrelracerchick Horse Health 39 06-16-2011 02:02 AM
Weight Loss speedy da fish Horse Health 9 04-01-2010 03:55 PM
Weight Loss Dumas'_Grrrl Horse Health 14 09-24-2008 08:03 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome