weight problems HELP!!!!
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

weight problems HELP!!!!

This is a discussion on weight problems HELP!!!! within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        08-15-2008, 12:28 PM
      #1
    Foal
    weight problems HELP!!!!

    Hi. Ok I own an appaloosa. When I got him 1 year ago and he waz huge!! He waz realy over weight. And he had a problem with bucking so I sent him to a trainer and he lost like all of his weight he turned to skin and bones. So far I almost got all his weight back on him except his but and hips. I've tryed every thing I coulkd think of. The only thing is I work him all the time on getting ready for are first barrel racing sesion. And I don't want any one to think I don't feed him. This is what I give him-
    1 plastic scoop of 10% all grain
    1/2 plastic scoop of adfalfa pellets
    And 3 flakes of t&a
    And I do this twice a day
    And he gets wormed once a month
    I just don't know what to do
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        08-15-2008, 12:32 PM
      #2
    Weanling
    How long was he with the trainer?
         
        08-15-2008, 01:16 PM
      #3
    Started
    Do you ahve any pictures we can see ???

    He is most likely lacking in nutrition most 10% feeds are disigned to be feed at high amounts when in reality if you just increase the nutrition the horse will gain without all the sugars and starches you get in traditional feeds
         
        08-15-2008, 01:35 PM
      #4
    Yearling
    Pictures would sure help.

    You say he looks thin in his hind end? Could it just be lack of muscle?

    Do you see ribs? How heavy is his work load?

    6 flakes of good Timothy and Alfalfa ( I'm assuming that's what T&A stood for) if it weighs 20-25 pounds in total is a full day's supply for a horse doing moderate work.
         
        08-15-2008, 03:08 PM
      #5
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kirsti Arndt
    how long was he with the trainer?
    for about 7 months and he waz realy working him hard and I don't think he feed him the amout I told him to
         
        08-15-2008, 03:12 PM
      #6
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Peggysue
    do you ahve any pictures we can see ???

    He is most likely lacking in nutrition most 10% feeds are disigned to be feed at high amounts when in reality if you just increase the nutrition the horse will gain without all the sugars and starches you get in traditional feeds


    What would you suddest??
         
        08-15-2008, 03:12 PM
      #7
    Weanling
    Peggysue and G&Ks mom are right pics may show what he is lacking and the sugars are not going to give him the weight you want. Good luck with him
         
        08-15-2008, 03:17 PM
      #8
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by G&K's Mom
    Pictures would sure help.

    You say he looks thin in his hind end? Could it just be lack of muscle?

    Do you see ribs? How heavy is his work load?

    6 flakes of good Timothy and Alfalfa ( I'm assuming that's what T&A stood for) if it weighs 20-25 pounds in total is a full day's supply for a horse doing moderate work.

    His ribe do show I littel but his butt bone is poping out and his hips will not fill out. And I have tryed every thing
         
        08-15-2008, 03:17 PM
      #9
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by barrelracingchik101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Peggysue
    do you ahve any pictures we can see ???

    He is most likely lacking in nutrition most 10% feeds are disigned to be feed at high amounts when in reality if you just increase the nutrition the horse will gain without all the sugars and starches you get in traditional feeds


    What would you suddest??
    I would put him on a ration balancer or smartpaks grass formula vitamin/mineral supplement with free choice hay and possibly add in some beet pulp, alfalfa pellets/cubes, rice bran OR BOSS for added calories ... I would also put him at the upper limits of the ration balancer for the first bag or two ... to increase his nutrition level ...

    I am very very anti grain when it comes to feeding my horses daily ... they only get it when I get the guilty although they are fat I think they are starving feeling then they only get 1lb of oats PER DAY !!!
         
        08-15-2008, 03:19 PM
      #10
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Peggysue
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by barrelracingchik101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Peggysue
    do you ahve any pictures we can see ???

    He is most likely lacking in nutrition most 10% feeds are disigned to be feed at high amounts when in reality if you just increase the nutrition the horse will gain without all the sugars and starches you get in traditional feeds


    What would you suddest??
    I would put him on a ration balancer or smartpaks grass formula vitamin/mineral supplement with free choice hay and possibly add in some beet pulp, alfalfa pellets/cubes, rice bran OR BOSS for added calories ... I would also put him at the upper limits of the ration balancer for the first bag or two ... to increase his nutrition level ...

    I am very very anti grain when it comes to feeding my horses daily ... they only get it when I get the guilty although they are fat I think they are starving feeling then they only get 1lb of oats PER DAY !!!


    What I free choice hay??? I have never hear of it
         

    Thread Tools



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:20 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0