What do you think about mustang round up?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

What do you think about mustang round up?

This is a discussion on What do you think about mustang round up? within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • How do people think about mustang round up
  • How does blm round up mustangs

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    12-17-2010, 02:28 PM
  #1
Foal
What do you think about mustang round up?

Mustangs are one of the most well known breeds. In most movies they are common, because of their distinct confirmation. They are still roaming, though most people are questioning how much longer they will be. The BLM does round-up with mustangs. Doesn't sound very bad at all when you just state the obvious, though when you look more into it, you can almost sence the fear the horses must face. In places that the BLM consides a place with insufeceint food and water sources they start the round-up. Though lush pasture and clean water creeks I wouldn't really consider a place lacking food and water. Mustangs like all horses are beautiful graceful creatures, and to see them going through such mental pain, and suffering, is heart breaking. Thier is a book called Cloud:wild stallion of the rockies. Its a sad and happy story that takes you through his life. Its a true story, and im happy to see people cared about cloud, the BLM was going to remove (destroy) cloud and his herd. But thanks to lots of people, look at the site below-
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/sav...his-wild-herd/

It a potetion they had, 5,000 people needed to sign it to save cloud. 5,828 signed and he was saved. That was in 2008. No mustang needs to suffer like this. So I have done some research to see if their was soemthing we could do to stop this from happening to any other mustangs. Because they are a big part of American history, and we shouldn't just wait for them to go extinct. This is what I found lots of people on facebook care alot , read it-
Save the Mustangs, Wipe Out the BLM? | Facebook

The sites I found on the above link to help mustangs are-
www.thecloudfoundation.org - www.thecloudfoundation.org
The gilrl who wrote he book Cloud wild stallion of the rockies, I think helped to start the above foundation and im glad people care, but we need your help!

American Wild Horse Preservation Campaign: Home

Help save some of the only living American history we have left! Tell your friends! By the end of 2010 they plan to do another round up, please help!

Tweet it, share it, text it!

Even horse illustrated is saying the BLM is cruel.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    12-17-2010, 02:35 PM
  #2
Foal
Not much time left to stop goverment funding for 2011 roundup the link below will tell you how to help its free!
American Wild Horse Preservation Campaign
     
    12-17-2010, 03:08 PM
  #3
Trained
Would rather they just be left to starve to death? Mustangs are just feral animals. They are what is left over from horse herds that ranchers used to run on the range with thier cattle. With the invention of tractors and automobiles ranches didn't need as many horses so many were left to run. When there got to be too many the ranchers would round them up, sort off the ones they didn't want and then sell the rest. Then a bleeding heart woman in Nevada decided that was cruel and used misinformation to get the Free Roaming Horse and Burro act passed. Now nobody is managing them and the BLM spends half its budget on feral horses.

You need to educate yourself before you start trying to change things. I would guess that you have never seen a herd of mustangs dying of thirst around a dry water hole or seen the devistation to fragile ecosystems that happens when the range is overstocked with these horses. The owners of the cattle move the cattle when the grass starts to get too short and the water starts to dry up but nobody moves the mustangs so they turn your beutiful lush meadows into nothing but dirt in a matter of weeks.

Come out west and see with your own eyes if you really want to learn something.
     
    12-17-2010, 03:12 PM
  #4
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinshorses    
Would rather they just be left to starve to death? Mustangs are just feral animals. They are what is left over from horse herds that ranchers used to run on the range with thier cattle. With the invention of tractors and automobiles ranches didn't need as many horses so many were left to run. When there got to be too many the ranchers would round them up, sort off the ones they didn't want and then sell the rest. Then a bleeding heart woman in Nevada decided that was cruel and used misinformation to get the Free Roaming Horse and Burro act passed. Now nobody is managing them and the BLM spends half its budget on feral horses.

You need to educate yourself before you start trying to change things. I would guess that you have never seen a herd of mustangs dying of thirst around a dry water hole or seen the devistation to fragile ecosystems that happens when the range is overstocked with these horses. The owners of the cattle move the cattle when the grass starts to get too short and the water starts to dry up but nobody moves the mustangs so they turn your beutiful lush meadows into nothing but dirt in a matter of weeks.

Come out west and see with your own eyes if you really want to learn something.

Maybe you should educate yourself and click some links, and watch videos, the BLM takes horses off places that have plenty of food and water. Either way I would rather starve to death then be auctioned off and beaten
     
    12-17-2010, 03:12 PM
  #5
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinshorses    
Would rather they just be left to starve to death? Mustangs are just feral animals. They are what is left over from horse herds that ranchers used to run on the range with thier cattle. With the invention of tractors and automobiles ranches didn't need as many horses so many were left to run. When there got to be too many the ranchers would round them up, sort off the ones they didn't want and then sell the rest. Then a bleeding heart woman in Nevada decided that was cruel and used misinformation to get the Free Roaming Horse and Burro act passed. Now nobody is managing them and the BLM spends half its budget on feral horses.

You need to educate yourself before you start trying to change things. I would guess that you have never seen a herd of mustangs dying of thirst around a dry water hole or seen the devistation to fragile ecosystems that happens when the range is overstocked with these horses. The owners of the cattle move the cattle when the grass starts to get too short and the water starts to dry up but nobody moves the mustangs so they turn your beutiful lush meadows into nothing but dirt in a matter of weeks.

Come out west and see with your own eyes if you really want to learn something.
I wish this forum had a "like" button, like on facebook.
     
    12-17-2010, 03:18 PM
  #6
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by site4pets    
Maybe you should educate yourself and click some links, and watch videos, the BLM takes horses off places that have plenty of food and water. Either way I would rather starve to death then be auctioned off and beaten
I don't need to watch propaganda I have seen it with my very own two eyes. Most of these feral horses are inbred, wormy runts that are not worth the $125 it takes to adopt them. If they were managed by the states or the ranchers that own the land then they would be better horses in a more sustainable herd. Not every mustang is beaten and I have seen several of the auctions and the horses are pretty calm and well treated.

How many herds have you seen on the range? Have you ever been to a BLM auction? Have you ever trained a mustang? I don't need to click the links (although I have) and let some other city dude tell me how it is WHERE I LIVE.
     
    12-17-2010, 03:22 PM
  #7
Showing
Site, I don't know why it is that so many of the threads that you start seem to be for the sole purpose of getting a rise out of people and creating drama that surrounds yourself.

That being said, I agree with Kevin. You have clearly not read any information other than what the PETA fanatics have slathered all over their websites. The horses are starving, especially in wintertime and if you think that them running free over the plains is the great, majikal, majestic thing that you saw in "Spirit" (the animated movie) then you are naive. They get sick, they get hurt, they starve, they die of thirst, they have no medical care or hoof care.

Look a little farther than your little bubble of ignorance and you will see Mustangs running with broken legs, severe hoof problems, untreated/infected injuries that are skin and bones because they are starving to death.

I am of the mind that the two Mustangs I own are much happier here where they have access to good food and clear water 24/7 without having to run hundreds of miles, they have well trimmed feet, good health care and see a vet when the need arises.

I'm so sure that they believe that life is so much more cruel than being left to fend for themselves:roll:.
     
    12-17-2010, 03:24 PM
  #8
Green Broke
I would rather they were rounded up and culled, then have them destory a farmers livelihood.....
     
    12-17-2010, 03:26 PM
  #9
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinshorses    
I don't need to watch propaganda I have seen it with my very own two eyes. Most of these feral horses are inbred, wormy runts that are not worth the $125 it takes to adopt them. If they were managed by the states or the ranchers that own the land then they would be better horses in a more sustainable herd. Not every mustang is beaten and I have seen several of the auctions and the horses are pretty calm and well treated.

How many herds have you seen on the range? Have you ever been to a BLM auction? Have you ever trained a mustang? I don't need to click the links (although I have) and let some other city dude tell me how it is WHERE I LIVE.

Just because they aren't worth any money doesn't mean they don't deserve to be treated right. I have watched live roundups before at the BLM Horse stumbled and got trampled on, and herds were seperated, and as they were herded into tiny spaces they were whipped into corners, im not saying all roundups are like that. I know some roundups are calm and the people take their time, but some of them arent, even horse illustrated said tthe BLM was cruel and their usually the one too support them.
     
    12-17-2010, 03:32 PM
  #10
Yearling
One of my favorite posts from Kevin is when he said something along the lines of " Mustangs are no more unique than a stray dog"
     

« Sidebone | Blind? »
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking at a mustang?! BWolters Horse Breeds 1 11-16-2010 03:03 PM
Mustang. GuitarChump Horse Talk 0 09-27-2010 05:17 PM
Mustang Cheval Horse Breeds 16 05-29-2008 03:03 AM
mustang Dave Horse Breeds 1 04-16-2008 08:57 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0