Worried About Lily (Fever, icky eyes, runny nose, etc)
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Worried About Lily (Fever, icky eyes, runny nose, etc)

This is a discussion on Worried About Lily (Fever, icky eyes, runny nose, etc) within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Horse temperature 103.8
  • Icky legs and fever

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    11-16-2011, 08:29 AM
  #1
Started
Unhappy Worried About Lily (Fever, icky eyes, runny nose, etc)

I am a bit worried about my new mare Lily. I don't know what to do honestly, the worst medical problem one of my horses ever had was a tooth abcess or a hoof abcess.

Sunday(the day we brought Lily home) and Monday Lily was fine. She was her perky 2 year old self. Well Tuesday(yesterday) morning I get a call from my BO's wife saying she's got icky, pusy eyes and a snotty nose. But she ate her breakfast and was drinking and going to the bathroom. But I should still call the vet just to be safe.

I call out of work and head down to the barn. Lily looks horrible. You know how we look when we're sick, that's how she looked. Well I called the vet to make an Appt and they were able to come out between 3 and 4 and I should isolate her, take her temp and monitor her until they got there. SO my friend and I did that.

We took her Temp at 12pm yesterday and it was 103.8. The entire time we were waiting for the vet she acted normal eating hay, drinking a great amount, and pooping and peeing. She was even calling to us at random times(which was cute) but she just looked tired. Also I felt under her jaw just ot be safe and low and behold there was a lump. SO I started to panic a bit.

Vet got there around 3-3:30pm. We told him what her temp was and about the lump. He checked the lump and said it doesn't feel like strangles but that doesn't mean it couldn't be. He took her temp. And it was 102.6. He asked if we gave her anything, we said no. He gave her a shot (I forget the name of it) but it brings down fever. He also gave me a tube of banamine and she is supposed to have her temp taken every day and if it's high she gets a 500lb dose of banamine.

He said it could be strangles, shipping fever, or a very, very bad respiratory infection. He said whatever it is we caught it early. He said he doesn't treat strangles with antibiotics because then it could cause ******* Strangles which is when it spread and that increases the mortality chances greatly. He said if it is strangles he lets it run it's course to either have the lymph node go down or have it form an abcess and burst. He said even if it isn't strangles treat it like it is, so we are.

Okay so I get a phone call from my BO's wife this morning and she took Lily's temp and said it was now 107! SHe gave her her Banamine and said she would take it again in a little bit when the banamine kicked in.

What should I do now? Should I wait a few days and see if the Banamine brings it down? Should I call vet out again? Since he said we caught it early could she be going through some of the worst of it now?

If it means anything she's outside but it's not cold. We had a flooding incident in the barn and it's kind of off limits till it gets fixed. Her blanket hasn't come in yet but I prob wouldn't have one on her now because it's still fairly warm. BUt it did go down to about 39-40 degrees last night, would that cause her temp to be higher?

I'm so worried, but I'm also so angry at the people I bought her from. I found out after I got her that they buy and sell horses every week from New Holland and they don't quarantine them. Why would you not quartantine an auction horse. Especially cause New Holland doesn't require a coggins or proof of vaccines. I called them to let them know what was going on with Lily and they were like "Oh it's probably just a cold." I know I may not have the right to be angry but I'm angry and I can't be angry at Lily for being sick.

Thank you to whoever reads this. Sorry it's so long. I tried to remember everything if you have any questions just ask.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    11-16-2011, 08:55 AM
  #2
Super Moderator
I'd call the vet again. You really want to get that temperature down. :(
     
    11-16-2011, 08:56 AM
  #3
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomcolt18    
I am a bit worried about my new mare Lily. I don't know what to do honestly, the worst medical problem one of my horses ever had was a tooth abcess or a hoof abcess.

Sunday(the day we brought Lily home) and Monday Lily was fine. She was her perky 2 year old self. Well Tuesday(yesterday) morning I get a call from my BO's wife saying she's got icky, pusy eyes and a snotty nose. But she ate her breakfast and was drinking and going to the bathroom. But I should still call the vet just to be safe.

I call out of work and head down to the barn. Lily looks horrible. You know how we look when we're sick, that's how she looked. Well I called the vet to make an Appt and they were able to come out between 3 and 4 and I should isolate her, take her temp and monitor her until they got there. SO my friend and I did that.

We took her Temp at 12pm yesterday and it was 103.8. The entire time we were waiting for the vet she acted normal eating hay, drinking a great amount, and pooping and peeing. She was even calling to us at random times(which was cute) but she just looked tired. Also I felt under her jaw just ot be safe and low and behold there was a lump. SO I started to panic a bit.

Vet got there around 3-3:30pm. We told him what her temp was and about the lump. He checked the lump and said it doesn't feel like strangles but that doesn't mean it couldn't be. He took her temp. And it was 102.6. He asked if we gave her anything, we said no. He gave her a shot (I forget the name of it) but it brings down fever. He also gave me a tube of banamine and she is supposed to have her temp taken every day and if it's high she gets a 500lb dose of banamine.

He said it could be strangles, shipping fever, or a very, very bad respiratory infection. He said whatever it is we caught it early. He said he doesn't treat strangles with antibiotics because then it could cause ******* Strangles which is when it spread and that increases the mortality chances greatly. He said if it is strangles he lets it run it's course to either have the lymph node go down or have it form an abcess and burst. He said even if it isn't strangles treat it like it is, so we are.

Okay so I get a phone call from my BO's wife this morning and she took Lily's temp and said it was now 107! SHe gave her her Banamine and said she would take it again in a little bit when the banamine kicked in.

What should I do now? Should I wait a few days and see if the Banamine brings it down? Should I call vet out again? Since he said we caught it early could she be going through some of the worst of it now?

If it means anything she's outside but it's not cold. We had a flooding incident in the barn and it's kind of off limits till it gets fixed. Her blanket hasn't come in yet but I prob wouldn't have one on her now because it's still fairly warm. BUt it did go down to about 39-40 degrees last night, would that cause her temp to be higher?

I'm so worried, but I'm also so angry at the people I bought her from. I found out after I got her that they buy and sell horses every week from New Holland and they don't quarantine them. Why would you not quartantine an auction horse. Especially cause New Holland doesn't require a coggins or proof of vaccines. I called them to let them know what was going on with Lily and they were like "Oh it's probably just a cold." I know I may not have the right to be angry but I'm angry and I can't be angry at Lily for being sick.

Thank you to whoever reads this. Sorry it's so long. I tried to remember everything if you have any questions just ask.
If her temp comes down I would just keep an eye on it. If not then Yes call the vet at least for a phone consult.
I suppose they do not quarantine for the same reason you didn't? Inconvenience.
     
    11-16-2011, 08:57 AM
  #4
Yearling
I'm sorry you are dealing with this with a new horse. I don't have any medical advice, but maybe just givethe vet a call about how high her temp was. Good luck with everything.
     
    11-16-2011, 09:10 AM
  #5
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by churumbeque    
If her temp comes down I would just keep an eye on it. If not then Yes call the vet at least for a phone consult.
I suppose they do not quarantine for the same reason you didn't? Inconvenience.

Understood, I made a mistake. I'm just glad we didn't introduce her to the whole herd. I was told she was UTD on everything except the coggins, which I had pulled while she was at there farm. Every time I went to see her over the course of three weeks she was fine. I'm just upset, not at anything in particular but I can't be upset with Lily.

Also her temp was taken right after she ate, I know when they eat grain doesn't that cause a little extra body heat? I don't know I read that somewhere just trying to keep my mind at slight ease.

Vet's office opens in a half hour I'll give them a call then.
     
    11-16-2011, 09:59 AM
  #6
Started
Just got off the phone with the vet.

He said to (if she'll let us) soak her feet in cool water and run cool water on her chest to see if we can bring her temperature down. We also have to take her temp every hour and record it. He said if it doesn't go down by this afternoon he'll come out.

Are there any other ways that I can try to bring her fever down?
     
    11-16-2011, 10:13 AM
  #7
Super Moderator
I remember a friend of mine had to ice her horse but I don't know where you put the ice. Maybe someone on the forum has had experience with that. The hose and the soaking of the feet should help. Don't spray the chest directly, start at the legs and move up so you don't shock the system. Keep plenty of water so you don't get any dehydration going on. I'm sorry you have to go through this... :(
     
    11-16-2011, 10:17 AM
  #8
Weanling
Cold Hose and try to bring down her temperature for sure. If you are in a warm climate do her all over not just chest and front end.
For sure that temperature seems very high. How is it being taken? Rectal or with digital temp?
I would make sure you are shaking down the thermometer good if you don't have digital and do take her temp every hour. If it hasnt gone down within a couple of hours I certainly would want the vet out again.
You should check her pulse (should be around 30-40 beats per min)and respiration (should be 8-15 breaths per min) as this will help indicate the amount of stress she is under.
If she is in normal range of course less worry although the temperature is of grave concern (should be 99 - 101)
If her respiration is more rapid then it should be get the vet back right away
If her pulse is above 50 she could be in distress and should have immediate attention also.
Hope she gets well soon.
     
    11-16-2011, 10:29 AM
  #9
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annnie31    
Cold Hose and try to bring down her temperature for sure. If you are in a warm climate do her all over not just chest and front end.
For sure that temperature seems very high. How is it being taken? Rectal or with digital temp?
I would make sure you are shaking down the thermometer good if you don't have digital and do take her temp every hour. If it hasnt gone down within a couple of hours I certainly would want the vet out again.
You should check her pulse (should be around 30-40 beats per min)and respiration (should be 8-15 breaths per min) as this will help indicate the amount of stress she is under.
If she is in normal range of course less worry although the temperature is of grave concern (should be 99 - 101)
If her respiration is more rapid then it should be get the vet back right away
If her pulse is above 50 she could be in distress and should have immediate attention also.
Hope she gets well soon.
I'm getting ready to go out the door to check her.

Yesterday we used a mercury thermometer first and it came up near 104 so we double checked with a digital and it said 103.8. The vet used a digital one when it came back with a 102.6 reading. All were obviously done rectally. And this morning the same digital one was used and it came back at 107. When I take temps today I'll do a double check each time with the mercury and digital to make sure I'm getting the correct reading.

Vet said her pulse was normal yesterday(about a 38) Her breathing seemed normal yesterday other than it was a bit louder due to her nose being clogged. I'll check both again when I'm out there.

It's not that warm here, it's about 57 or so degrees and raining. She has a leanto to go into because as I mentioned before the barn is out of bounds due to flood damages. Should I put a blanket on her?

Definitely going to try to cold soak her feet and I'll definitely be running cold water over her front legs, chest, and maybe her neck area if she's okay with it. I'll update from my phone as everything goes along. If her temp isn't down by 12:30 I am calling him out.
     
    11-16-2011, 10:30 AM
  #10
Weanling
And just to add, if our horses temp was as high as yours I think our vet would be staying in the barn until it was back down to a reasonable level (102 or there abouts) 107 is way too high, and beyond a scope you can deal with really.
Your vet is correct about not giving antibiotics in case of strangles but I don't think we have ever had a case of strangles with 107 temp so it concerns me a great deal.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Coughing, runny nose? VanillaBean Horse Health 8 10-16-2011 05:13 PM
Very runny nose. horsesroqke Horse Health 6 02-26-2011 06:46 PM
runny nose... a possible problem?? specialdelivery Horse Health 2 04-18-2010 02:55 PM
Runny Eyes! VanillaBean Horse Health 9 02-20-2010 08:46 AM
runny nose cheethamz17 Horse Health 10 02-01-2008 11:05 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0