Would this be "cruel" of me? - Page 4
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Would this be "cruel" of me?

This is a discussion on Would this be "cruel" of me? within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

    Like Tree119Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        09-17-2013, 04:29 PM
      #31
    Green Broke
    Thanks guys for the kind words. I know I am probably doing alot more then most would.

    Just for the record. He can be ridden but the navicular is so bad why would I? I mean I have another sound riding horse that I unexpectedly got so I would love to give him the chance to be a horse instead of being worked into the ground like he has been his whole life.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        09-17-2013, 04:50 PM
      #32
    Weanling
    I look at it like this, if your horse was in the wild, he wouldn't have anyone riding him, and he wouldn't have shoes on now would he.

    Allowing an animal to exist in its natural state is not cruel.

    At the same time doing what you can to make him more comfortable, there is nothing wrong with that either.
         
        09-17-2013, 05:02 PM
      #33
    Showing
    On one hand, I agree with Elana. For a horse that's relatively new to you (only had him a couple of months, right?) you are doing him a profound favor by letting him live off you for as long as possible.

    Many people, myself included, would likely have him put down just because he hadn't earned his keep (and some would likely say that makes me cruel as well). On the other hand, if it was a horse that I had owned and ridden for years and absolutely loved, then I would do my utmost to give him the best and longest life I could.
    Elana and xlionesss like this.
         
        09-17-2013, 05:12 PM
      #34
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigNickMontana    
    I look at it like this, if your horse was in the wild, he wouldn't have anyone riding him, and he wouldn't have shoes on now would he.
    He'd have been long dead by now if he were out in the wild. Nature is not kind to her children who are at less than optimum health.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigNickMontana    
    Allowing an animal to exist in its natural state is not cruel.
    A domestic horse's natural state is to be cared for by humans, so yes, it would be cruel to leave him out to suffer with no medical/farrier care. If that were the case, he'd be better off put down.

    People need to stop waxing poetic about the grandeur of feral horses. The fact of the matter is that their lives are short, harsh and brutish, and in no way comparable to that of domestic horses. There's nothing grand about slowly starving to death during a hard winter, or being eaten by predators if they're young, injured or weak.
    smrobs, Elana and xlionesss like this.
         
        09-17-2013, 05:22 PM
      #35
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smrobs    
    On one hand, I agree with Elana. For a horse that's relatively new to you (only had him a couple of months, right?) you are doing him a profound favor by letting him live off you for as long as possible.

    Many people, myself included, would likely have him put down just because he hadn't earned his keep (and some would likely say that makes me cruel as well). On the other hand, if it was a horse that I had owned and ridden for years and absolutely loved, then I would do my utmost to give him the best and longest life I could.
    Think she's had this one longer then a few months your thinking of the haffie she just got.

    I have a yard ornament but iv owned her 24 years and she gave me 20 years of great riding. So yeah she earned her yard onament status. Not sure if my gelding is never ridable again because of current issues. I might put him down next spring if he's not going to be usable.

    Can't justify keeping two yard ornaments plus cost of keeping them isnt cheap. I don't board out so that helps but still can't justify two yard ornaments.
    smrobs and Elana like this.
         
        09-17-2013, 05:23 PM
      #36
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Speed Racer    
    He'd have been long dead by now if he were out in the wild. Nature is not kind to her children who are at less than optimum health.



    A domestic horse's natural state is to be cared for by humans, so yes, it would be cruel to leave him out to suffer with no medical/farrier care. If that were the case, he'd be better off put down.

    People need to stop waxing poetic about the grandeur of feral horses. The fact of the matter is that their lives are short, harsh and brutish, and in no way comparable to that of domestic horses. There's nothing grand about slowly starving to death during a hard winter, or being eaten by predators if they're young, injured or weak.
    you're taking what I said out of context, I wasn't saying don't provide him with veterinary care, I was saying not putting shoes on him and not riding him and seeing how he does was not cruel.

    I have actually been spending a good deal of time around wild horses here lately. Their lives are not all that bad, in fact they are some pretty amazing animals.
         
        09-17-2013, 05:25 PM
      #37
    Showing
    ^^You're right Spirit, I just re-read the OP and she said she's had him about a year. I'm thinking of the right horse, but it just seems like it's only been a couple of months. This last year has just vanished in a hurry LOL.
         
        09-17-2013, 05:27 PM
      #38
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigNickMontana    
    you're taking what I said out of context, I wasn't saying don't provide him with veterinary care, I was saying not putting shoes on him and not riding him and seeing how he does was not cruel.

    I have actually been spending a good deal of time around wild horses here lately. Their lives are not all that bad, in fact they are some pretty amazing animals.
    And to this I would add if the animal is that messed up that it would die with out a ton of medical attention, the humane thing may just be to put it down.
         
        09-17-2013, 05:58 PM
      #39
    Green Broke
    Yeah, I've had this guy a year in November.

    I board and I have 3. The haffie, him, and my mini donk. It isn't easy but I try.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    smrobs likes this.
         
        09-17-2013, 06:26 PM
      #40
    Yearling
    Wow, 3?! And you board them?! That is hard. I have two that I board and I'm slowly losing all my sanity LOL
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:52 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0