Wound Progression- How is it coming along?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Wound Progression- How is it coming along?

This is a discussion on Wound Progression- How is it coming along? within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Will Silvadene cream create proud flesh in horses
  • Silvadine proud flesh treatment

Like Tree5Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    08-06-2013, 02:16 PM
  #1
Started
Wound Progression- How is it coming along?

Okay, so on Saturday my Dicer got hurt in a way that I am really surprised he was able to walk away from. If you want the full story on how he got hurt (and probably a few other details) I'll do it through PM. Just because there is a lot that comes into play and it would be a REALLY long post if I posted here. And this is a wound progression thread not a rant thread.

I just want to know if I did what was right. If I should have done something different(a few things I know I should've). If itfs progressing nicely. And any suggestions anyone may have about this. Ifm still pretty worked up about it, more-so about the whole situation with which it happened and what's been surrounding it than the fact that he is hurt but that's a behind the scenes story.
@
Day 1 before being washed:



Day 1 after being washed with Viodine.



@
After I washed it with Viodine I slathered it with Furazone and wrapped it with a pad and vet wrap lightly. Not to compress just to cover it so it wouldnft get dirty. He also received a Tetanus shot because he was hurt on something metal. (t-post)

On the night of day 1 I went out to check it, hose it, and put more furazone on it and it looked nice and pink. Also, night of day 1 the area was swelled and he was limping a bit.

On day 2 it was apparently packed with triple antibiotic and wonder dust and he was given a shot of Penn C. No wrapping. Not my doing but that is part of the long story.


Day 3 swelling:


@
Day 3 after being washed with Viodine. I have no clue what the brown stuff is in the wound?





@
After, I again slathered it with furazone and put swat around it. Still swollen, short strided at the walk, off at the trot.
@
Day 4 (today) washed it with viodine to get the gunk off of it. Cold hosed it.




@
After I slathered it with silvadine(Sp?) and put swat around it. Still swollen a bit. Fine at the walk. Still a bit off at the trot.
@
Important info:
- He has not been separated from the large field and put in the smaller field even though I wanted him to be. So he's free to run around and hurt himself even more. (Not my doing again that part comes along with the PM)

How does it look? Does it look like it's healing properly? Should I do something different? Keep doing what I'm doing?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    08-06-2013, 03:23 PM
  #2
Green Broke
You have proud flesh starting here. Powdered Alum on the proud flesh 2X a day and he will heal just fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cut.jpg (55.5 KB, 86 views)
     
    08-06-2013, 03:49 PM
  #3
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elana    
You have proud flesh starting here. Powdered Alum on the proud flesh 2X a day and he will heal just fine.
Oh lovely. I've never had to deal with proud flesh before so I didn't know what to look for.

Ok thank you.
     
    08-06-2013, 05:23 PM
  #4
Green Broke
You need the proud flesh to fill in the gap. Leave it alone unless it starts to get above skin level. At this point cold hosing the leg is OK but avoid getting water in the wound as it promotes proud flesh.
The swelling will go down the leg but that's to be expected.
Silvadene is awesome.
smrobs and Trinity3205 like this.
     
    08-06-2013, 05:33 PM
  #5
Yearling
Ditto. I never treat for proud flesh unless it gets above skin level. Cold hosing and yellow salve/furisone or however that's spelled both promote proud flesh.
     
    08-06-2013, 05:54 PM
  #6
Super Moderator
Once it has been washed and cleaned up I do not thin =k you should every put water on it again -- NEVER.

You need a small amount of proud flesh initially to fill in the gap in an open wound. Proud flesh is nature's band-aid. You will NOT get any kind of infection after proud flesh has filled in the gap. You do also not need or want Furacin after the gap is filled in. It is as bad at promoting the over-growth of proud flesh as water is.

When I have a wound filled in and covered over with proud flesh, I put 'Prouds Off' on it one day, wipe away the scab and put a think hand-cream on it the next day. I alternate back and forth. The Prouds Off makes it scab, dry up 'eats' out any proud flesh and keeps flies off. The next day, the hand cream softens it up, makes it close up more and promotes healing and hair regrowth. The next day, I wipe it off and put Prouds Off on it again. I just alternate back and forth until it is closed up enough that I get zero proud flesh and I just keep putting the hand cream on it 2 or 3 times a day. I end up with no scar, complete hair regrowth and cannot even find the old scar or cut later.

With a cut as small as this one was, I would have probably opted for DMSO with Furacin liquid in it and just started with the hand cream a day or 2 later. It probably would not have even gotten any proud flesh in it. The DMSO mixture stops all chance of infection and really slows or stop the over-growth of proud flesh. It also prevents most inflammation and swelling. I stick it in every puncture, use it on every nick or scrape and about every wound small enough to not require sutures and not a big enough flesh wound to need Underwoods.
Phantomcolt18 and smrobs like this.
     
    08-06-2013, 05:56 PM
  #7
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by natisha    
You need the proud flesh to fill in the gap. Leave it alone unless it starts to get above skin level. At this point cold hosing the leg is OK but avoid getting water in the wound as it promotes proud flesh.
The swelling will go down the leg but that's to be expected.
Silvadene is awesome.
Ok great because that's what I've switched to. A friend gave me some she had left over from when her horse ripped it's shoulder open. I've heard great things about it.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinity3205    
Ditto. I never treat for proud flesh unless it gets above skin level. Cold hosing and yellow salve/furisone or however that's spelled both promote proud flesh.
The furazone was all I had at the time unfortunately. This morning I've switched to the Silvadene.

Ok so since the water promotes proud flesh growth should I stop washing it out? I wash it with warm water if that makes a difference?

I'm sorry for the "stupid" questions. This is the worst open injury I've ever had to deal with. And it was quite a dramatic incident :/
     
    08-06-2013, 06:05 PM
  #8
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie    
Once it has been washed and cleaned up I do not thin =k you should every put water on it again -- NEVER.

You need a small amount of proud flesh initially to fill in the gap in an open wound. Proud flesh is nature's band-aid. You will NOT get any kind of infection after proud flesh has filled in the gap. You do also not need or want Furacin after the gap is filled in. It is as bad at promoting the over-growth of proud flesh as water is.

When I have a wound filled in and covered over with proud flesh, I put 'Prouds Off' on it one day, wipe away the scab and put a think hand-cream on it the next day. I alternate back and forth. The Prouds Off makes it scab, dry up 'eats' out any proud flesh and keeps flies off. The next day, the hand cream softens it up, makes it close up more and promotes healing and hair regrowth. The next day, I wipe it off and put Prouds Off on it again. I just alternate back and forth until it is closed up enough that I get zero proud flesh and I just keep putting the hand cream on it 2 or 3 times a day. I end up with no scar, complete hair regrowth and cannot even find the old scar or cut later.

With a cut as small as this one was, I would have probably opted for DMSO with Furacin liquid in it and just started with the hand cream a day or 2 later. It probably would not have even gotten any proud flesh in it. The DMSO mixture stops all chance of infection and really slows or stop the over-growth of proud flesh. It also prevents most inflammation and swelling. I stick it in every puncture, use it on every nick or scrape and about every wound small enough to not require sutures and not a big enough flesh wound to need Underwoods.
Thank you so much!

There's only a small bit of the Silvadene left so I'll run out to TSC and grab the DMSO on my way to the barn in a bit.

Ok so no more water/washing/hosing. And DMSO.

I guess I'm lucky this is the worst open injury I've had to deal with.
     
    08-06-2013, 06:18 PM
  #9
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomcolt18    
Thank you so much!

There's only a small bit of the Silvadene left so I'll run out to TSC and grab the DMSO on my way to the barn in a bit.

Ok so no more water/washing/hosing. And DMSO.

I guess I'm lucky this is the worst open injury I've had to deal with.
Yes, you are very lucky with that minor cut. It will stay minor as long as you consistently care for as you have been.

This was an intermediate wound one of my horses suffered when he found an old septic tank and his weight busted through the top, back in middle of March.
BooSore.jpg
003.jpg

I could reach through the front and feel the back of his leg through the wound.



This was taken about a month ago and now there is a scab about the size of a quarter.
Boohealing5.jpg

Hope this gives you some encouragement.
     
    08-06-2013, 06:24 PM
  #10
Green Broke
I used Corona in the beginning then switched over to a salve I got from a member on here that hasn't been around awhile.

I have another horse that got injured recently while unloading from the horse trailer and is being treated with the Underwoods that was mentioned earlier.

Here is his initial wound from a few weeks ago. I'll try to get you an updated pic after a couple of weeks of treatment 2-3 times a day for comparison. It looks better than the picture that is for sure. I beat myself up over this one for a couple of days for allowing it to happen by getting in too big a rush ONE TIME.

Trusty original Cut.jpg
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shaggy's Facial Wound - Two Links to Pictures of His of Wound Inside DTSerendipityV4 Horse Health 10 08-26-2012 09:40 PM
Graphic wound pictures and progression through each stage TrueColours Horse Health 0 10-22-2011 08:30 AM
Tea Tree Wound Spray and Wound Coat Spray: Safe to use together? AspiringEventer Horse Health 0 05-22-2011 05:30 PM
horse has pus coming out of wound needing help! alichawhittaker Horse Health 6 12-01-2010 01:06 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0