Your feeding schedule? and........ - The Horse Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 07-27-2011, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 718
• Horses: 0
Your feeding schedule? and........

Just wanted to know if this was sufficient for my horse. I feed 1 full scoop, 3 pints of feed in the morning before I go to work and one in the evening. I also give one wheel barrow full of hay at each feeding. I feed about 630 am on days I work and in evenings about 8pm. When I get home about 4, I let him out to graze from 4 to about 8. My pasture fencing should be done by next wk so he will be able to graze all day pretty much till I put him up at nite. I will still give him the ratio of what I give him now even though he is grazing all day.

Right now, he eats all of what I am giving him in the mornings by I would say 2 hrs max, maybe 2 and 1/2 to 3 hrs. So from 9am to 4 when I get home to let him out to graze, is that too much time in between for him to have nothing to eat? I mean he is healthy and since I brought him home 9 days ago, he has put on a good bit of weight, looks real good.

2nd question is in regards to the fence wiring and rather the wire can actually touch this without grounding out? Guess I'm a little confused as to the things that can cause your wire to be grounded. I know tree branches and weeds and stuff like that, wire touching wood posts, ect. Also, would I be able to continue the run of wire from the other end of he anchor? Wondering if the wire will have a continued connection? Link below

Electric Fence Gate Anchor - 3600126 | Tractor Supply Company

Last edited by nyg052003; 07-27-2011 at 12:02 PM.
nyg052003 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 07-27-2011, 12:02 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: In a land far far away, or so I wish.
Posts: 12,825
• Horses: 0
The gate attachment device you posted the part that screws into the post is insulated from the part that the wire attaches to by the plastic ring. The metal part you attach the fencing to on either side is so the charge can pass from one piece of wire to the other.


It is hard to say anything about your feeding program. How much does one wheel barrow of hay weigh? (I have never measured hay by the wheel barrow.)
How much an individual horse requires (or does not require) is very much a per horse thing. Each horse is different.
Alwaysbehind is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 07-27-2011, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 718
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysbehind View Post
The gate attachment device you posted the part that screws into the post is insulated from the part that the wire attaches to by the plastic ring. The metal part you attach the fencing to on either side is so the charge can pass from one piece of wire to the other.


It is hard to say anything about your feeding program. How much does one wheel barrow of hay weigh? (I have never measured hay by the wheel barrow.)
How much an individual horse requires (or does not require) is very much a per horse thing. Each horse is different.
how would I find out, or is there a feeding guide per weight of the horse, ect. I know there is supposed to be for the feed I guess on the bags
nyg052003 is offline  
post #4 of 10 Old 07-27-2011, 12:05 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: In a land far far away, or so I wish.
Posts: 12,825
• Horses: 0
I would start by asking the previous owner how much they fed the horse.

Yes, there are feeding guidelines on the bag. I am guessing they are by the pound of feed vs. weight of horse.
Like the feeding suggestions on any bag of feed (for a dog, or cat or anything else), they are just guidelines, not necessarily what your horse will require.
Alwaysbehind is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 07-27-2011, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 718
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysbehind View Post
I would start by asking the previous owner how much they fed the horse.

Yes, there are feeding guidelines on the bag. I am guessing they are by the pound of feed vs. weight of horse.
Like the feeding suggestions on any bag of feed (for a dog, or cat or anything else), they are just guidelines, not necessarily what your horse will require.
yes I did ask the guy upon buying. As for hay, he put a round bale out there for all of his 5 horses.
nyg052003 is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 07-27-2011, 01:31 PM
Started
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,824
• Horses: 0
The amount of feed that you are giving also depends on what brand you are feeding and if your horse is in work, or is just a lawn ornament. I.E. I would not give a high fat feed to a quarter horse who is not in work, or even if he is worked 2 or 3 times a week.

Different feeds are designed to support horses and the work programs they are in. With out any more infomation, it will make any other advice impossible to give.
wetrain17 is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 07-27-2011, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 718
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetrain17 View Post
The amount of feed that you are giving also depends on what brand you are feeding and if your horse is in work, or is just a lawn ornament. I.E. I would not give a high fat feed to a quarter horse who is not in work, or even if he is worked 2 or 3 times a week.

Different feeds are designed to support horses and the work programs they are in. With out any more infomation, it will make any other advice impossible to give.
pleasure horse, just riding and stuff, no work out stuff at least in the short or near future. Will not be doing tricks and barrels and all sorts of sporting stuff, just plain old riding, some running lightly when I ride but lighty, I don't really care to run. I will also edit the original post. I feed sweet mix from TSC with Nuetrena safechoice.
nyg052003 is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 07-27-2011, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 718
• Horses: 0
well didnt see the edit button on original post so postiing again

Pleasure horse, just riding and stuff, no work out stuff at least in the short or near future. Will not be doing tricks and barrels and all sorts of sporting stuff, just plain old riding, some running lightly when I ride but lighty, I don't really care to run. I will also edit the original post. I feed sweet mix from TSC with Nuetrena safechoice.
nyg052003 is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 07-27-2011, 03:15 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 5,283
• Horses: 1
The guidelines on the feed bag are a good place to start. You may want to monitor weight gain/loss with a weight tape for a while to see if you're giving the right amount. (Depending on his current weight you may want to aim for some gain or loss, and then try to hold that steady- if you're not sure, your vet should be able to tell you if he's at a healthy weight already)

If sweet mix is the same thing as sweet feed, you may want to consider cutting that out of his diet- it doesn't offer much nutritionally, kind of like candy.
verona1016 is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 07-27-2011, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 718
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by verona1016 View Post
The guidelines on the feed bag are a good place to start. You may want to monitor weight gain/loss with a weight tape for a while to see if you're giving the right amount. (Depending on his current weight you may want to aim for some gain or loss, and then try to hold that steady- if you're not sure, your vet should be able to tell you if he's at a healthy weight already)

If sweet mix is the same thing as sweet feed, you may want to consider cutting that out of his diet- it doesn't offer much nutritionally, kind of like candy.
I think the sweet mix is actually a mix of both,not just straight sweet feed. 12 %

He actually looks about the size of the horse in your avatar
nyg052003 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Feeding beet pulp pellets? And hay feeding questions... Wallaby Horse Nutrition 2 12-09-2010 07:52 AM
Schedule help Rodeo Pro Barrel Racing 2 05-04-2010 11:50 PM
Need help planning a schedule for feeding and deworming. CowGirlUp9448 Horse Health 9 01-24-2010 03:52 PM
Sticking to a strict feeding schedule? missy06 Horse Health 12 10-24-2008 10:45 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome