YOUR responsibilities as a horse owner. - Page 4
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

YOUR responsibilities as a horse owner.

This is a discussion on YOUR responsibilities as a horse owner. within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Responsibilities of horse ownership
  • What are the daliy responsibilities of a horse

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    06-12-2009, 09:39 PM
  #31
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by jody111    
Completely agree with JDI - but I think you missed one other thing....

You also need time and dedication to own a horse - its not like a bike you can put away - I get so frustrated with people who just never seem to spend anytime with there horses and then expect them to perform on queue when they are ready

Also so agree - work with horse first if you can.... opens your eyes up so much.... :)
Exactly.At my old barn there was a 3yo QH named Stanley that NO ONE wanted to handle bc he was sooo ill-mannered.But mostly he was just misunderstood....His little girl would show up once a month and expect him to be ready to rock.Everyone else was just harsh with him thinking he was bad,when all he needed was some1 2 take the time to earn his trust and show him right from wrong.It was really sad and I "adopted" him,but you can only do so much with some1 elses horse...
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    06-12-2009, 09:58 PM
  #32
Started
I did not read all the replies but I wanted to add this


EVEN IF YOU BOARD THE HORSE IS STILL YOUR RESPONSIBILITY!!!!
     
    06-12-2009, 10:18 PM
  #33
Green Broke
I totally agree that we, as horse owners, have the duty to insure our horses are well cared for, healthy, and have the human interaction necessary.
I do disagree, however, that it has to be tremendously expensive. Our stocky Paint mares are can be ridden every day barefoot and live on grass/hay and a cup of grain a day. We give them their shots, wormers, and trim their hooves ourselves, they have their yearly rabies/Coggins from the vet, and except for the occaisional expected cut or sprain, they have never missed a day of work. They are indeed reliable, hard working, and 'low maintenance'.
We don't have boarding expenses, but the total cost of all their feeding and care amounts to only $6/day/horse....not bad for a 1000+ lbs animal, and much less expensive than raising children
     
    06-12-2009, 10:28 PM
  #34
Foal
I would just like to start that I am new to this board-- and I want to applaud JDI for posting this

I was one of those kids that wouldve have killed for a horse-- when my mother asked where I would keep it, I told her we could tie it to the vaccum cleaner outside (i was 2 don't judge me )

When I was 8 my mother enrolled me in a local 4-H club where I learned how much $$ & work is actually involved in taking care of a horses

That being said I was 22 before I finally purchased a horse of my own-- when I was finacially stable enough to handle the reg maitainance that is required in owning a horse

People def need to take a moment and think before they think about owning any animal-- let alone a horse
     
    06-13-2009, 08:40 AM
  #35
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintHorseMares    
I totally agree that we, as horse owners, have the duty to insure our horses are well cared for, healthy, and have the human interaction necessary.
I do disagree, however, that it has to be tremendously expensive. Our stocky Paint mares are can be ridden every day barefoot and live on grass/hay and a cup of grain a day. We give them their shots, wormers, and trim their hooves ourselves, they have their yearly rabies/Coggins from the vet, and except for the occaisional expected cut or sprain, they have never missed a day of work. They are indeed reliable, hard working, and 'low maintenance'.
We don't have boarding expenses, but the total cost of all their feeding and care amounts to only $6/day/horse....not bad for a 1000+ lbs animal, and much less expensive than raising children

Have you ever sat down and figured what you spend a year on the horses?? It doesn't seem like much at the time but it adds up
     
    06-13-2009, 09:02 AM
  #36
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintHorseMares    
They are indeed reliable, hard working, and 'low maintenance'.
We don't have boarding expenses, but the total cost of all their feeding and care amounts to only $6/day/horse....not bad for a 1000+ lbs animal, and much less expensive than raising children
I think that most people don't figure about these expenses. Think about this: healthy, unboarded horses cost $180/month. This is more than $2100 a year per horse. This is without farrier costs and with only minimal shots.

Let's assume you keep your horse barefoot. Considering trims 8 times/year at $45 each you'd spend $360/year. What happens if you your horse gets ill? Even "cheap" horses are a luxury.
     
    06-13-2009, 09:21 AM
  #37
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshie    
I think that most people don't figure about these expenses. Think about this: healthy, unboarded horses cost $180/month. This is more than $2100 a year per horse. This is without farrier costs and with only minimal shots.

Let's assume you keep your horse barefoot. Considering trims 8 times/year at $45 each you'd spend $360/year. What happens if you your horse gets ill? Even "cheap" horses are a luxury.

2100$ per horse? I spend an average of 200$ per month on all 4 of mine. They never go a day without hay/feed or treats, they have reg deworming and vacs. The farrier visits every 6-8 weeks and if they do need a vet I will call one out but that has only happened about 4 times in the last 3 years.
Consider the cost of what people spend going out to eat even at a fast food place for a family of 4 can easily be 25$ for 1 meal and some do that at least once or twice a week if not more add to that going out to movies or renting movies etc.
Horses are no more expensive on a routine basis than any other form of entertainment and they are much more enjoyable.
     
    06-13-2009, 09:54 AM
  #38
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggysue    
have you ever sat down and figured what you spend a year on the horses?? It doesn't seem like much at the time but it adds up
The $6/day/horse amount comes directly from our ledger. I imagine you are refering to the total (about $6600/year total for our 3 mares) cost. I fully appreciate that this may appear to be a lot of money, but this amount is not even close to what many of our non-horse friends spend every year on dining, clothes, cars, and vacations. Is it a luxury? Yes, of course, but it is a luxury we have chosen to fund ahead of others, and that it possible to own and enjoy a horse without $10+ bottles of shampoo, fly spray, sun block, etc. sold as horse products at inflated prices when there are plenty of generic/human/farm/make yourself products that work equally well.
Perhaps my perspective is different than most, but considering that going to a movie is $7-$8 (without snacks), a new car will still set you back $300+/month, renting a horse for a ride around here is now up to $25-$35/hour, and you can't even get out of McDonald's for less that $5 these days, $6/day for a horse still seems like a good deal to me.
     
    06-13-2009, 09:57 AM
  #39
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by close2prfct    
2100$ per horse? I spend an average of 200$ per month on all 4 of mine. They never go a day without hay/feed or treats, they have reg deworming and vacs. The farrier visits every 6-8 weeks and if they do need a vet I will call one out but that has only happened about 4 times in the last 3 years.
Consider the cost of what people spend going out to eat even at a fast food place for a family of 4 can easily be 25$ for 1 meal and some do that at least once or twice a week if not more add to that going out to movies or renting movies etc.
Horses are no more expensive on a routine basis than any other form of entertainment and they are much more enjoyable.
LOL. I posted before reading this. As you can see, my response is EXACTLY!
     
    06-13-2009, 10:05 AM
  #40
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshie    
What happens if you your horse gets ill? Even "cheap" horses are a luxury.
Yes indeed, and you need to plan for that. Our wise, old, farm vet once told me that you can go 20 years without an emergency and then have 2 in the same week.
As we compare costs, though, consider this. You've fallen and think you may have broken your arm and go to the ER for x-rays. That will now set you back (assuming no insurance) about $350 for the ER/x-rays/facility and about $200 for the doctor and radiologist around here. When one of our mares needed 30 stiches, our vet was out here all evening, came out to check on her 4 more times, and only charged $365 total.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best breed for a first time horse owner? AshleyNewman Horse Breeds 37 03-25-2009 10:31 AM
Advice for a new horse owner: Moxie Horse Talk 7 01-31-2009 11:56 AM
Help - New Horse Owner Michigan Horse Mom Horse Tack and Equipment 15 11-14-2008 11:45 AM
First time horse owner Hot_to_trot78 Horse Breeds 19 07-12-2008 10:39 AM
New horse owner taclyn Meet the Community 11 06-29-2008 06:04 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0