Quick question that has probably been answered here before but I want a specific answer to my situation and I don't want to make assumptions! So sorry in advance!
What do "breed registration" papers have to do with ownership? I'm confused because I thought not all horses can be registered and even those that can be aren't? Does the AQHA work like the AKC for dogs where you CAN pay to register your dog for the club benefits/showing but it doesn't really matter in regards to legal ownership (but can be confusing if not passed around properly?)?
Ok major question: If you adopt/buy a horse what things do you absolutely NEED to have in order to have a solid, legal, binding ownership of your horse that no one can try to challenge later?
I always assumed horses were NOT like cars or houses where there is a mountain of paperwork involved?
I'm worried because when I adopted my horse who was lame, neglected and in awful shape they gave me an "adoption contract" and said that in six months they would give me his AQHA papers just so that I didn't try to turn around and sell him as a papered horse immediately.
He is still completely legally my horse w/out those breed papers right? *panic* I've poured so much money, blood sweat and tears to turn this horse around and now someone has me worried they can try to make some claim to take him back? I don't think they would... the whole point was that the owner just didn't give a **** and couldn't be bothered and the woman she hired to "manage his care" would never work again if she tried - the whole local horse community knows his story!
Still, totally panicking. I assume it's a little more involved than a dog and less involved than a car?
What I have:
- Signed adoption papers with a witness signature that state: "I [former owners name], current legal owner of [horse's barn and registered name] release any and all ownership and financial responsibility pursuant to above said horse to [my name], based on the conditions listed herin:
1. After six months of ownership, his AQHA registration papers will be transferred et al to [my name]
2. (gist: if i want to get rid of him in 12 months i have to give them first dibs)
3. (gist: dont sell for profit for 12 months)
4. (gist: if i move him from his current barn they should be allowed to visit for 12 months)
5. (gist: ill take proper care of him and seek vet assistance)
6. [my name] is to assume all legal and financial responsibilities from this date forward on the 6 year old Palomino Quarter Horse gelding [horse's name].
(signed/dated w/ witness)
Since then I have gotten him microchipped (in my name) I have endless vet bills and receipts in my name, his board has been transferred to my name at the old barn and in a few weeks he is moving to a new barn in my name.
Am I good? Please, if I am NOT good or did some grievous error, private message me so that this thread can't be used against me until I fix it!
But of course, feel free to reassure me here!!