Confused about crossing state lines - The Horse Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 08-12-2011, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 11
• Horses: 0
Confused about crossing state lines

This may be the wrong place but I figured I was asking a question about "Laws" so here goes:

I live on the state line of Georgia-Alabama on the Georgia side. We are wanting to ride in the National Forrests in Alabama (not an organized event- just trail riding on public land)but are getting conflicting information from the Ga dept of Ag, Al dept of Ag, APHIS and the local vet.

I KNOW we have to have a current Coggine..........DONE!

The Health Certificate is what is in Question..........

My Alabama Vet AND APHIS (USDA) says just a coggins needed.

Ga dept of Ag and Alabama Dept of Ag says I need a health certificate or performance event certificate. Health certificate good for 10 days at $25.00, the Performance certificate good for 6 months at $30.00. This is a "No brainer" which one I will get.

Here is the REAL confusion. My vet says all I need to do is bring the horse in (cross state line illegally according to the Al dept of AG, LOL) with his current coggins test so that they can take pictures of the horse and send them to the state. They DON'T need a current shot record, don't need to do any additional blood work............just pictures and the coggins to do either the health certificate or performance certificate.

So what is the point of the health certificate?? Is the Vet and the USDA right?? Just a coggins needed? I am totally confused and don't need any legal trouble.
SB160 is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 9 Old 08-12-2011, 04:19 PM
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 2,044
• Horses: 2
Most states require a current coggins and a current health certificate to cross state lines. A vet has to do the health certificate.
I live on the idaho wyoming border and to ride in idaho I have to have a health certificate, even if it is for one day. You can take a chance and just have the coggins.
We have a book at the clinic I work at that has all the state regulations plus a phone number to the state vet for each state to call with questions. You need to get the number of the state vet to where you are going and ask them the laws/regulations, then you can know exactly what you need.
wyominggrandma is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 08-12-2011, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 16,405
• Horses: 0
Some states also require a Brand Inspection....even if your horse isn't branded. It is used as proof of ownership.
Allison Finch is offline  
post #4 of 9 Old 08-12-2011, 10:58 PM
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 5,482
• Horses: 2
Originally Posted by Allison Finch View Post
Some states also require a Brand Inspection....even if your horse isn't branded. It is used as proof of ownership.
Yeah I love brand inspections, never owned a branded horse but have to pay to have it checked out.
Darrin is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 08-13-2011, 12:01 AM
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ontario
Posts: 17,193
• Horses: 0
The Coggins test is almost a joke. It means that your horse didn't test positive for Swamp Fever at the time blood was drawn. By the time it is tested it is already an out of date test.
Saddlebag is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 08-13-2011, 02:23 PM
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,020
• Horses: 3
Originally Posted by Saddlebag View Post
The Coggins test is almost a joke. It means that your horse didn't test positive for Swamp Fever at the time blood was drawn. By the time it is tested it is already an out of date test.

Perhaps so, but trying to cross state lines without one IS NOT a joke. If you get caught, you will NOT be laughing.

As for the OP's question, I would err on the side of caution and have the coggins AND the health certificate, just in case your vet and the APHIS are wrong.
Beauseant is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 09-10-2011, 11:51 AM
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: In Sunny, HOT and HUMID S.C.
Posts: 1,531
• Horses: 2
I've never ridden across the state line, but I know when shipping a horse I've never needed more than the medical paperwork from the state of origin.

However, it shouldn't be any more difficult for riding. After all, people still ride across the US (east-west and north-south). I can't imagine it's that complicated. Even shipping across the country can take days and cross many states. I can't imagine that it's that complicated, requiring new medical paperwork (not's good everywhere) for various states during a week long transport trip. Shouldn't be any different for riders I would think.
its lbs not miles is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 09-10-2011, 12:03 PM
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 159
• Horses: 0
It all depends on the state. I live in WI close to IL border, to cross into IL you have to have a health certificate. Check with your vet maybe? Let him/her know what lines you'll be crossing.
Jamzimm101987 is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 09-12-2011, 07:55 PM
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Southwest Virginia
Posts: 75
• Horses: 2
I dont see any problem going across state lines with horses have all your supplies and certificates,proof of ownership,and you should be in good hands hope this helps.
Cowgirl07 is offline  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crossing State Lines BlondieHorseChic Horse Talk 3 05-12-2011 09:29 AM
Crossing Brumby Horse Breeding 16 08-31-2009 11:33 PM
who has animal crossing? ilovemyhorsies Games 0 07-17-2009 05:12 AM
Hauling Across State Lines orangetictac Horse Health 10 05-11-2009 01:10 PM
shot's to cross state lines? KANSAS_TWISTER Horse Health 3 04-14-2007 07:33 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome