enter private property without notice to get horses back - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
 19Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 38 Old 03-12-2013, 04:38 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 10,271
• Horses: 11
If you have paperwork that clearly shows you and your husband own these horses, call the sheriff or police with jurisdiction over that area and have them do a "Keep the Peace" or "Civil Stand By" while you go ask for your horses. They cannot get involved as this is a civil matter, but they will make sure that no one gets out of line. If he gives you the horses fine, if not then you'll need to file in court to get them back. The local law enforcement will not force him to give you the horses back, or they shouldn't, but they will keep you safe while you try.

Dreamcatcher Arabians is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 38 Old 03-12-2013, 04:42 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 3,169
• Horses: 0
I would expect, that you owe some board.
I would certainly offer, money for board, after all they did keep your horses for you, for a year.
You might not like the environment or the way they kept them, but at least they kept them, like they said they would, and didn't sell them.

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago, the second best time is today.
Taffy Clayton is offline  
post #13 of 38 Old 03-12-2013, 05:06 PM
mls
Trained
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 5,464
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomynameis View Post
I am a resident of NC and the horses are located in SC.
Please be sure to have everything in order before you haul them across state lines. I believe felony theft starts at $500 in most states. Cross a state line and that adds a whole new level of trouble.
Allison Finch likes this.
mls is offline  
post #14 of 38 Old 03-12-2013, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 16,344
• Horses: 0
Yup, purely a civil matter.

I suspect they will come back at you with the fact that you owe a lot of board. Make sure any references to the financial part of the deal are in your hand when you go talk with them. That way, when you say you are going to court, they will see that you have leverage against this claim.

If you don't have anything that discusses the deal in print/recorded, you may be up the creek to protect from this claim. THAT'S why, no matter how good a friend a person is.....get it written as a contract EVERY TIME!
Allison Finch is offline  
post #15 of 38 Old 03-12-2013, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: north carolina
Posts: 15
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffy Clayton View Post
I would expect, that you owe some board.
I would certainly offer, money for board, after all they did keep your horses for you, for a year.
You might not like the environment or the way they kept them, but at least they kept them, like they said they would, and didn't sell them.
I will pay him for keeping the horses, no problem. That is very fair.
hellomynameis is offline  
post #16 of 38 Old 03-12-2013, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: north carolina
Posts: 15
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mls View Post
Please be sure to have everything in order before you haul them across state lines. I believe felony theft starts at $500 in most states. Cross a state line and that adds a whole new level of trouble.
Yikes! I will make sure to have everything in order. Thank you for telling me this
hellomynameis is offline  
post #17 of 38 Old 03-12-2013, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: north carolina
Posts: 15
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison Finch View Post
Yup, purely a civil matter.

I suspect they will come back at you with the fact that you owe a lot of board. Make sure any references to the financial part of the deal are in your hand when you go talk with them. That way, when you say you are going to court, they will see that you have leverage against this claim.

If you don't have anything that discusses the deal in print/recorded, you may be up the creek to protect from this claim. THAT'S why, no matter how good a friend a person is.....get it written as a contract EVERY TIME!
I completely agree that paying him board is a must. However, out of curiosity, what about my husbands horse that he never paid for? Would the same board be expected? I would say half out of kindness but is it really necessary? Thinking about when car's are reposed. That would be like loan holders cutting checks to people for changing oil and putting on a new set of tires.

Would giving half for the horse he said he's pay for be efficient? or should I plan on giving full board?
hellomynameis is offline  
post #18 of 38 Old 03-12-2013, 05:34 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 10,271
• Horses: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomynameis View Post
I completely agree that paying him board is a must. However, out of curiosity, what about my husbands horse that he never paid for? Would the same board be expected? I would say half out of kindness but is it really necessary? Thinking about when car's are reposed. That would be like loan holders cutting checks to people for changing oil and putting on a new set of tires.

Would giving half for the horse he said he's pay for be efficient? or should I plan on giving full board?
How long has he had the horses?

Dreamcatcher Arabians is online now  
post #19 of 38 Old 03-12-2013, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 16,344
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomynameis View Post
I completely agree that paying him board is a must. However, out of curiosity, what about my husbands horse that he never paid for? Would the same board be expected? I would say half out of kindness but is it really necessary? Thinking about when car's are reposed. That would be like loan holders cutting checks to people for changing oil and putting on a new set of tires.

Would giving half for the horse he said he's pay for be efficient? or should I plan on giving full board?

The problem is the lack of a written contract. It may boil down to your word against his. He might claim no such arrangement was ever made.
Allison Finch is offline  
post #20 of 38 Old 03-12-2013, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: north carolina
Posts: 15
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians View Post
How long has he had the horses?
Less than one year. After looking at the messages, he has had them since the end of April last year.
hellomynameis is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Would you pay a fee to trail ride on private property? rosieposie Trail Riding 18 04-14-2012 12:08 PM
Keeping horses on your own property Acco Barn Maintenance 8 10-06-2011 09:05 PM
Horses removed from property in Wyoming wyominggrandma Horse Protection 3 05-27-2011 11:19 PM
Having Horses On Own Property. Gingerrrrr Horse Talk 12 12-16-2008 05:25 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome