Having trainer come to your property? - The Horse Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 02-07-2013, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 5,376
• Horses: 2
Having trainer come to your property?

I have a question about hiring a trainer to come train/ride a horse on your own property. What do you need to worry about as far as liability?

The trainer would probably ride the horse both on the property (where the horse lives) and out on trails nearby.

Is there some type of contract I should ask him to sign just to be safe? Any suggestions?

I am in Arizona if that makes a difference.
trailhorserider is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 11 Old 02-08-2013, 09:35 PM
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: The woods in the mountains of Appalachia
Posts: 767
• Horses: 5
Subbing, i'm curious to know too.

~Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, Love leaves a memory no one can steal.~
Elizabeth Bowers is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 02-08-2013, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 5,376
• Horses: 2
Yeah, I figure I'm not the only person who has thought of hiring a trainer to come out and work with a horse.....right?
trailhorserider is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 02-08-2013, 11:28 PM
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Utah
Posts: 706
• Horses: 2
I think I will sub too! I too, have pondered having a trainer come to my property to train my horse. I know many trainers that will travel ask that you have a suitable place to ride and some even require a round pen. But as far as liabilities and contracts, I really don't know.
SaddleStrings is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 02-09-2013, 12:59 AM
Green Broke
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Surry, Va
Posts: 4,712
• Horses: 0
Obviously your local laws will apply, but I dont see why hiring a horse trainer would be any different than hiring a roofer, plumber or lawn service, Make sure THEY have Liability insurance and workers comp insurance and a business liscense. Without all three never let soemone on your property to do a job. Here is a cut and paste from the BBB,
A wise consumer contacted the Better Business Bureau to ask, “Who can I call to verify insurance on a tree service company?”
Anytime you consider hiring a contractor to perform work on your property, it is important to verify that the contractor is covered by two kinds of insurance:
  • General Liability Insurance. This insurance will cover damage if the contractor’s accident or error causes damage to your property or a neighbor’s property.
  • Workers’ Compensation Insurance. This insurance will provide coverage if the contractor’s employee is injured while working on the job at your property.
In the absence of either insurance, you may be financially responsible if an accident or injury occurs while the contractor is working on your job.
Before signing a contract, tell the contractor that you need to verify insurance coverage. Request the name of the contractor’s insurance agent and contact the agent to request a Certificate of Insurance. As an extra precaution, don’t just call the name and phone number provided by the contractor. Instead, look up the insurance agent in the phone book and call the listed number to request the certificate of insurance.

You want to trust the contractor. Most times, you can. However, "trust but verify" is always good policy. Reputable contractors are pleased to provide information to help you verify their insurance coverage. In fact, they usually appreciate you asking, because they must compete on price with "fly by night" contractors who operate without the expense of insurance.

In addition to verifying that the contractor carries liability insurance and workers’ compensation insurance, you should determine exactly what coverage you have on your own homeowner’s insurance. Would your homeowner’s insurance cover you if the tree being cut down by the contractor falls on your neighbor’s car or home and does extensive damage?
Frequently, homeowners’ insurance policies do not cover contractor accidents. This makes it especially important for you to verify that the contractor has adequate insurance.

If contractor accidents are not covered under your current home insurance policy, you may want to ask your insurance agent whether your insurance company offers additional coverage to cover contractor accidents. Find out the cost of this additional coverage. The peace of mind that would come with adding this coverage may be worth the cost.
Elizabeth Bowers likes this.
Joe4d is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 02-09-2013, 07:33 PM
Green Broke
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 3,771
• Horses: 3
A trainer might not fall under the same laws as contractor though? And best thing to do would be to research with your insurance agent, as to how to limit your liability.

Horses make me a better person.
Palomine is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 02-10-2013, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 5,376
• Horses: 2
I'm pretty sure the guy I am thinking of using doesn't have it set-up as a proper business.....with liability insurance and such. He trains horses (and actually I bought my mare from him) but I don't think that is his business.

Actually, when I sent my colt down for breaking, I don't even think that guy was set up as a training business. He had other things he did as his main income.

So I don't know. Sounds risky I guess, to use someone who isn't a professional horse trainer?

I guess we would need to research the issue with the insurance company.
trailhorserider is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 02-10-2013, 02:39 PM
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,096
• Horses: 0
If we had an outside pro that came to our farm to teach lessons or work with a horse, we demanded proof of a liability insurance policy, had them sign a release and hold harmless agreement, and wear a helmet. Well, it was a rule that everyone wore a helmet but it was written in the release and hold harmless that one would be worn.
Elizabeth Bowers likes this.
updownrider is online now  
post #9 of 11 Old 02-17-2013, 01:11 PM
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ontario
Posts: 17,193
• Horses: 0
Any member of USEF and CEF can purchase a good liability policy for $50 annually. The rates may have increased as I haven't checked for about 5 years.
Saddlebag is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 02-20-2013, 10:51 AM
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 707
• Horses: 4
I haven't been on the hiring end of this, but I have been on the hired end. I have a 1 million dollar policy and I have to add each new location I ride/train/teach at to my policy. My original, baseline policy was $750, each 'additional insured' is $35 for a private property, $125 for a government entity (i.e, I added the fairgrounds and consequent State of California to use the public indoor). I also have a release of liability, but those can be picked apart by any decent lawyer in a lawsuit.
Tessa7707 is offline  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Trainer Contradicting Previous Trainer jhoover Horse Training 3 08-07-2012 07:20 PM
Property? ShutUpJoe Horse Talk 2 09-21-2010 09:25 PM
Dressage trainer or Arab trainer? knaskedov Dressage 7 01-04-2010 09:20 PM
WANTED - ASSISTANT TRAINER S to NATURAL HORSEMANSHIP TRAINER Lolabydream Natural Horsemanship 0 03-23-2009 05:27 PM
Looking for property vent Joshie Barn Maintenance 2 11-12-2008 09:11 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome