Loaned money for emergency vet care - denied repayment - Page 3
   

       The Horse Forum > Horse Resources > Horse Law

Loaned money for emergency vet care - denied repayment

This is a discussion on Loaned money for emergency vet care - denied repayment within the Horse Law forums, part of the Horse Resources category
  • Cant afford to keep horses
  • Horse forum parents won't pay vet bill

Like Tree22Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    08-22-2012, 02:35 PM
  #21
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by churumbeque    
that would be the same as saying if a dog gets loose and attacks another dog that dog owners not responsible . It is the owners responsibility to keep the horse confined it so that it can't injure anyone else . If it had been a gelding it would not have went after the other gelding like that . That is what gives stallions a bad name a lot of people won't board a stallion . If you choose to send your kids to school and other kid hurts him he's not responsible becaus. E you chose to send your kid there ?

They were in a public barn if I am not mistaken... that means the bo is liable for the horses getting loose seeing as the boarders pay to have them keep there horse safe. Which in either case is not happening because we have neglected animals and animals getting loose there...

Out of pure niceness and etiquette the stallion owner could contribute to covering som/all of the bill but they are not required to. The stallion owner pays for his horse to have a stall that will contain him and if he got out after being secured in there I would think that's a bo's liability.

Same for dogs if my dog was at a kennel and injured another dog that is the fault of the kennel not me. My dog was under the supervision of someone else. If I wanted to be considerate I would offer to pay atleast some of the costs but I would hold the kennel responisble for not watching my pet better under there care.

If the pet however was under my direct care and injured another then yes being owner I would be totally responisble to cover all costs.

As for kids hurting another kid while at school.. firstly I would be ticked at the parents for having an overly aggressive/spoiled child and ticked the school for not providing a safe environment for my child to learn when I pay taxes/tuition to send them there.
Just my 2cents on it
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    08-22-2012, 02:47 PM
  #22
Green Broke
You are right. Ultimately, the barn owner is most likely liable. The owner of the injured horse may decide to take the BO to court.
     
    08-22-2012, 02:59 PM
  #23
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by kait18    
they were in a public barn if I am not mistaken... that means the bo is liable for the horses getting loose seeing as the boarders pay to have them keep there horse safe. Which in either case is not happening because we have neglected animals and animals getting loose there...

Out of pure niceness and etiquette the stallion owner could contribute to covering som/all of the bill but they are not required to. The stallion owner pays for his horse to have a stall that will contain him and if he got out after being secured in there I would think that's a bo's liability.

Same for dogs if my dog was at a kennel and injured another dog that is the fault of the kennel not me. My dog was under the supervision of someone else. If I wanted to be considerate I would offer to pay atleast some of the costs but I would hold the kennel responisble for not watching my pet better under there care.

If the pet however was under my direct care and injured another then yes being owner I would be totally responisble to cover all costs.

As for kids hurting another kid while at school.. firstly I would be ticked at the parents for having an overly aggressive/spoiled child and ticked the school for not providing a safe environment for my child to learn when I pay taxes/tuition to send them there.
Just my 2cents on it
So what is the difference between an aggressive child or an aggressive horse? Every one paid board to be there expecting their animals to be safe. Obviously this place is not safe and sturdy but the stallion owner chose to keep it in a place that couldn't contain it. If it had not been a stallion it would not have gone after the other horse.

I would think the poor condition of the stalls would be visible to everyone. Seems like 3 stalls of the 3 horses weren't strong enough but every one chose to keep their horses there.

If you took your dog to a kennel and you didn't do anything wrong you wouldn't pay the vet bill. I agree the stable owner should shoulder the expense also but not the horse owner that had his horse contained.

My bet is this is a stallion that should be a gelding and the next thread will be "could my mare be pregnant?"
     
    08-22-2012, 03:11 PM
  #24
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by churumbeque    
So what is the difference between an aggressive child or an aggressive horse? Every one paid board to be there expecting their animals to be safe. Obviously this place is not safe and sturdy but the stallion owner chose to keep it in a place that couldn't contain it. If it had not been a stallion it would not have gone after the other horse.

I would think the poor condition of the stalls would be visible to everyone. Seems like 3 stalls of the 3 horses weren't strong enough but every one chose to keep their horses there.

If you took your dog to a kennel and you didn't do anything wrong you wouldn't pay the vet bill. I agree the stable owner should shoulder the expense also but not the horse owner that had his horse contained.

My bet is this is a stallion that should be a gelding and the next thread will be "could my mare be pregnant?"
i agree the owner shouldn't have to pay for all of it but if you were a concerned owner you would have. The op doesn't even own the horse and cares more about it then the owner...

As for it being a stallion as to why it attacked the gelding... in this case it was but I think that's a bit crazy to think stallions are the only ones that attack other horses and break stalls and/fences to get at another. In this scenario I think the bo is to blame completely. He willing took in a stallion without proper facilities and took in and has neglected horses on his property and it seems he/she is not doing anything about it to keep the animals safe and healthy.

But oh boy do I agree with you about the I think my horse is pregnant thread that will start if the op stays at this place or if her stallion friend owners doesnt geld there horse.

Just a sad situation all around poor ownership by the geldings owner, negligence from the barn owner and staff, and poor op for actually having a heart and trying to do righ tby the animal.
LetAGrlShowU likes this.
     
    08-22-2012, 03:38 PM
  #25
Green Broke
The injured gelding's owner should have paid the bill initially and then asked the BO for reimbursement. Instead, if I understand the story correctly, he apparently planned to neglect the horse.
kitten_Val and Walkamile like this.
     
    08-22-2012, 03:47 PM
  #26
Green Broke
Yes, I agree with Celeste. He should have repaid the loan, as verbally agreed on the phone, and then talked to the bo for payment or partial payment.

All I will say is that when someone shows/demonstrates that they are not trustworthy or honorable, take them at their word. He did this in how he treated his horses and how he conducted himself. Sadly, the OP is out of the cash, but way ahead in the good Karma department.
LetAGrlShowU and Celeste like this.
     
    08-22-2012, 04:26 PM
  #27
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by kait18    
i agree the owner shouldn't have to pay for all of it but if you were a concerned owner you would have. The op doesn't even own the horse and cares more about it then the owner...

As for it being a stallion as to why it attacked the gelding... in this case it was but I think that's a bit crazy to think stallions are the only ones that attack other horses and break stalls and/fences to get at another. In this scenario I think the bo is to blame completely. He willing took in a stallion without proper facilities and took in and has neglected horses on his property and it seems he/she is not doing anything about it to keep the animals safe and healthy.

But oh boy do I agree with you about the I think my horse is pregnant thread that will start if the op stays at this place or if her stallion friend owners doesnt geld there horse.

Just a sad situation all around poor ownership by the geldings owner, negligence from the barn owner and staff, and poor op for actually having a heart and trying to do righ tby the animal.

It is obvious that the owner cannot afford to care for the horse properly and does not have the money for the bill.
     
    08-22-2012, 04:30 PM
  #28
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by churumbeque    
It is obvious that the owner cannot afford to care for the horse properly and does not have the money for the bill.
if that's the case then get rid of the horse... the op was willing to take the horse off his hands but he refused..and its not fair to the horse to suffer because this owner seems to think everything magically gets better..

I would have called animal control a long time ago and would have stopped treatment so that the animal could have been seized and hopefully rehomed or atleast pts to end its suffering that it will continue to incur staying with its current owner.
     
    08-22-2012, 04:43 PM
  #29
Green Broke
Why do people buy horses and keep horses if they cannot afford to take care of them?

Why do people open boarding facilities and charge people money to take care of their horses if they do not plan to make some effort at making that facility safe?

Why would a barn owner board a stallion if they did not have a stallion facility?
Walkamile and kait18 like this.
     
    08-22-2012, 09:51 PM
  #30
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by churumbeque    
It is obvious that the owner cannot afford to care for the horse properly and does not have the money for the bill.
It's worse than not having the income, I think he doesn't care. Treating the horse after the vet was there would have cost very little and he couldn't even do that.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Money set aside for misc. Vet care katbalu Horse Health 30 06-17-2012 03:09 PM
Question: Emergency fund, emergency credit card or? Jumperforjoy Horse Talk 7 03-13-2012 10:47 PM
Preference: full-care, self-care, or in your back yard? steedaunh32 Horse Talk 16 12-29-2011 03:59 AM
Help me decide: Self care vs. Full care vs. Pasture Dream Horse Boarding 6 05-12-2011 12:07 AM
Loaned pony has a foal, HELP!! LettyLovesPoniesx Horse Law 20 11-18-2009 10:46 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0