So Ill start at the beginning so you know the details. A man died, all that was left was his sons old stud, a hand full of brood mares, a yearling, and a 17 month old filly. When his son heard the news he came home from Wyoming to care for the place. When he got to California he became aware that his father had last the property and only had 4 months to pack up and get out. That's where I came in, I was hired to help with the horses. The fillies hadnt been touched so I started halter training, and I put about 60 days into the 17 month old. At the end of the four months the house and barn were cleaned out, and all that was left was the recently gelded stud, one mare and the babies.
He decided to take the older horses, leaving the yearling with the new property owners and boarding the 17 month with me. He said " if you want her I'll sell her to you for 1500, if not you have two options sell her and get sellers profit, or hold her and Ill come back for her."
Well in this market selling a just started filly with "ok" bloodlines for 2500 is no easy task.
But telling him that was hard going, it was pretty much phone tag. A conversation through voice mails. We would go two to three months with out talking. But he was realizing that I was having trouble selling her. (just to add... his soon to be ex wife would come over every now and then... an I mean I've only seen her maybe 5 times in the past year and a half, she would just come to see her.O should I say peek over the fence to ensure she was still on the property.)
Anyway before the man died he said that he was going to have to again postpone his trip to Cali, and that he too realized that he wasnt going to sell her for his asking price, and asked if I wanted her, I said of course I have had the filly for thirteen months, she was apart of my family. So in the short he was giving her to me.
However there was no paperwork because of his early death. So I assumed that, that was the end of that. I was wrong, the soon to be ex wife called me to "touch basis". Next thing I know she is on my property telling me she will cover the expenses that her husband hadnt and that she would be picking her up at the end of the week.. then loaded up My hay leaving me with two bales.
Two months later she calls saying that she had a couple of bales for me but that she couldnt pay the 1000+ dollar bill yet. I responded by telling her that I had purchase four ton a month and half ago, and remind her that 300 was now added to her bill. Then she told me to stop raising the bill, said don't have the farrier out, or the vet I can't afford it. I told her that I if the filly needed it she was going to get it no matter the cost.
That was about three months ago, I have no phone number, no address and have a padlock on my gate.
I understand that technically she belongs to her because there was no exchange of paperwork. But if she wants her she needs to pay up.
I am also scared that if she does pay up, and something happens to the horse she wont be able to afford it. Where I can.
I want this horse! What should I do???