Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Upstate New York
To negotiate or not?
The horse I am buying is a 5 year old mare... With only 30 days professional training on her. She's definitely a project horse. The plus sides are her coloring (she's gorgeous!), her bloodlines, and her puppy dog temperament (although she can be very witchy at times... Rearing etc).
When I went to see this horse, she crow hopped with the owner on her four times and twice on the ground. Mind you, she hadn't had anything done with her in probably 3 months or so (plus there were dogs running at her and nipping her). Me and my trainer left thinking no way. Yet, something about her was bothering us both and my trainer suggested we ask for a trial period.
The girl had the horse on the market for over 3 months with NO calls except for us. She agreed to a one month trial period. At the time I saw the ad, she had her listed for sale at $2,300. However, when she met me and my trainer she thought we were a perfect match and told us if we took her she would give us a "great deal." When she agreed to the month trial she told me she had decided on $1,800 for the horse. I did put this figure in the contract. I also paid $75 to take her on trial.
The trial period is up in 8 days. I definitely want to buy her but this horse seems more like $1,500 to me. Many people at the barn I board at said that they would offer even less - simply because she will take so much time (she's an awesome horse don't get me wrong... She has done AMAZING in the month we have had her... And she never crow hopped or anything while with us). I am going to call her tonight to give my decision... But my question is... Is it wrong of me or unreasonable to ask for the $300 lower? I mean, that's a month's board for me and 1,500 is the price me and my trainer had in mind when we went to go see her. What do you think?
Posted via Mobile Device