obama has lifted the ban on horse slaughter - Page 3 - The Horse Forum

 159Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 93 Old 08-09-2012, 10:26 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southeastern PA
Posts: 9,420
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpingPaints View Post
You can disagree all you like. These were scientifically conducted polls to eliminate bias. The problem with the online forums is PSAs (pro slaughter activists) have a tendency to be bullies and ignore the facts about slaughter. So rational people don't participate.
Can you provide some statistics to back up your point? Legitimate studies, not PETA.

I would suggest that the pro lifers are also equal bullies. And so those on the pro slaughter side don't speak up in equal amounts - but as there are no studies that can speak to those who don't speak up lets keep to facts.
AlexS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 93 Old 08-09-2012, 10:44 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: southern Arizona
Posts: 8,958
• Horses: 4
"Slaughter definitely isn't pretty, and was just as ugly when American plants were open..."

Nope. No comparison between US plants and Mexican.

I live 60 miles from the Mexican border. I'd rather take my chances on a business that tries dumping horses (and can be fined out of business) than on individuals.

As for polls...I can find polls saying most Americans believe Obama was born in Kenya. I'm somewhere to the right of Rush Limbaugh politically, but no number of people saying Obama was born in Kenya will make it true. Ask a bunch of city folks "Should the noble horses of America be ruthlessly tortured and slaughtered to feed the French?", and the answer will be no.

Polling ignorance reveals what ignorant people feel, not what a thinking person concludes.

"People can teach us the rules, but only horses can teach us the art of riding."
bsms is offline  
post #23 of 93 Old 08-09-2012, 11:17 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 21
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsms View Post
As for polls...I can find polls saying most Americans believe Obama was born in Kenya. I'm somewhere to the right of Rush Limbaugh politically, but no number of people saying Obama was born in Kenya will make it true. Ask a bunch of city folks "Should the noble horses of America be ruthlessly tortured and slaughtered to feed the French?", and the answer will be no.

Polling ignorance reveals what ignorant people feel, not what a thinking person concludes.
Actually, for those of us who work in statistics, polls can be structured scientifically to prevent bias. The results from the example you could only be achieved using a selective sample, which would render the results unscientific. Lots of folks like to conduct amateur polls and claim the results worthy, but they simply aren't valid and you won't see them reported by legitimate media organizations.

The poll I'm referring to was done by a national research firm, Lake Research Partners. The results were consistent across geographic and political boundaries, age and gender. I'm sorry if it doesn't conform to the very blatant horse eater bias on this forum (which I was duly warned about). My hope is there are some lurkers interested in real facts and information.
JumpingPaints is offline  
post #24 of 93 Old 08-09-2012, 11:21 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 21
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsms View Post
"Slaughter definitely isn't pretty, and was just as ugly when American plants were open..."

Nope. No comparison between US plants and Mexican.
Facts be a pesky thing. See the plants US horses have always gone to for decades in Mexico (and I'm betting you didn't care about that until the US plants were shut) use only approved EU processes. Yep, the very same captive bolt process used in American plants. There's almost no difference between American and Mexican / Canadian processing. The vast majority of the abuse and suffering occurs in transit, at the hands of American kill buyers.

The video of the Mexican plants using puntilla knives were municipal plants that kill Mexican stock for cafeterias. Those are truly horrific, but we in America can't do anything about that.
JumpingPaints is offline  
post #25 of 93 Old 08-09-2012, 11:25 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: southern Arizona
Posts: 8,958
• Horses: 4
Polling stupid or ignorant people merely tells you what stupid or ignorant people feel. It does NOT tell anyone what a thinking person should think.

Most Americans don't know the difference between the front and rear end of a horse, which may be why we send so many rear ends to Washington.

So...what are YOU suggesting we do with unwanted horses? All the charities are packed to the gills where I live. I've got one more than I ride and can't afford to feed any more horses just for fun. Your solution is...?

"People can teach us the rules, but only horses can teach us the art of riding."
bsms is offline  
post #26 of 93 Old 08-09-2012, 11:34 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: southern Arizona
Posts: 8,958
• Horses: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpingPaints View Post
...See the plants US horses have always gone to for decades in Mexico (and I'm betting you didn't care about that until the US plants were shut) use only approved EU processes. Yep, the very same captive bolt process used in American plants...
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't have believed that when I was 20, and the earth has gone around the sun a number of times since I was 20...

"People can teach us the rules, but only horses can teach us the art of riding."
bsms is offline  
post #27 of 93 Old 08-10-2012, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 71
• Horses: 1
Is there any place to get information that isn't funded by the industry or those against it? Both sides can provide "facts" disproving the others "facts" and this could go on forever. Or possibly could those who provide facts provide links siteing the info?
Posted via Mobile Device
KatRocks is offline  
post #28 of 93 Old 08-10-2012, 12:31 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 729
• Horses: 1
Amusing that Euope has decided to close its doors to US horses due to the very same medicinal practices that we in Canada use...

I am one that is pro slaughter, as a necesary evil, and I hope for the day that humane plants are established for all livestock. I stock the freezer with our own meat (hunting) and local farmed meat whenever I can. Not only does it taste phenomenally better, but I know I'm supporting something wholesome for my family's health, another family's and that of the animals we're eating.
hemms is offline  
post #29 of 93 Old 08-10-2012, 05:53 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 5,153
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpingPaints View Post
I'm sorry if it doesn't conform to the very blatant horse eater bias on this forum (which I was duly warned about).
I don't eat horse. It's legal here where I live, and a few select butchers sell it. But I don't eat it. However, I am still pro-slaughter. Show me evidence that has been collected, don't spout "facts" that are not supported by empirical data. Give me a link to the study, don't tell me who did it. Any scientific paper doesn't just include an in-text reference, they have an end text so that interested parties can check their information. You want us to believe you? This is how you do it.
Speed Racer and Ripplewind like this.

Mods, grant me the serenity to see the opinions I cannot change, courage to change the ones that should change, and the wisdom to spot the trolls.
Chiilaa is offline  
post #30 of 93 Old 08-10-2012, 09:48 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,187
• Horses: 0
Horses are flight animals, how can they be humanely slaughtered?
goneriding is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Obama, Congress restore horse-slaughter industry ajg1988 Horse Protection 5 12-14-2011 11:28 AM
Ban on US horse slaughter lifted livestoride Horse Protection 13 12-12-2011 08:46 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome