Riding Without A Helmet? - Page 4
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Resources > Horse Law

Riding Without A Helmet?

This is a discussion on Riding Without A Helmet? within the Horse Law forums, part of the Horse Resources category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        05-25-2010, 12:38 PM
      #31
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IheartPheobe    
    Yeah, same question for me, too. Why not just wear it?
    Honestly, I know it seems silly, there's always the whole, "Well, I could die walking across the street," controversy.. But don't you value your life? Seriously, why not just wear it?
    I know this doesn't have much to add to the argument, because it's not riding, haha.. but there's a snowboarder that I used to fallow, and he recently fell WHILE HIS HELMET WAS ON, and got a pretty serious brain injury. He spent four months learning to walk and talk again, trying to regain his sight, and he is still regaining his short-term memory. If he wasn't wearing his helmet, his doctors are sure he'd be dead. And if he wasn't, I don't even want to know what sort of state he would be in.

    Then again it could have been the helmet that threw him off balanced and caused the whole thing. Maybe there would not have been an accident if he had not been wearing a helmet. Or maybe if he did crash with out a helmet and his head was lighter he wouldn't have hit his head because he could lift his head out of danger faster.

    Hypothetical the helmet saved my life is nonsense, there is no way to know for sure what would happen if the helmet was not on.

    Air bags, seat belts, and helmets are no guarantee to safety but even worse they can and have caused injuries.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        05-25-2010, 01:57 PM
      #32
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shaker    
    Then again it could have been the helmet that threw him off balanced and caused the whole thing. Maybe there would not have been an accident if he had not been wearing a helmet. Or maybe if he did crash with out a helmet and his head was lighter he wouldn't have hit his head because he could lift his head out of danger faster.

    Hypothetical the helmet saved my life is nonsense, there is no way to know for sure what would happen if the helmet was not on.

    Air bags, seat belts, and helmets are no guarantee to safety but even worse they can and have caused injuries.
    but they have saved more lives then they have hurt.
    I find it kinda funny... some people that don't wear helmets always are so defenesive. Someone will answer the question the OP was asking with a explanation to why THEY don't, or how they feel, and some people who don't wear helmets always jump right on it... some don't, but... I just found it interesting how so many do....
         
        05-25-2010, 03:53 PM
      #33
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ridergirl23    
    but they have saved more lives then they have hurt.
    I find it kinda funny... some people that don't wear helmets always are so defenesive. Someone will answer the question the OP was asking with a explanation to why THEY don't, or how they feel, and some people who don't wear helmets always jump right on it... some don't, but... I just found it interesting how so many do....

    Do the math, there are far more people preaching about why you should wear one, than there are people explaining why they don't. And if you care to look the reason the thread went in that direction was because of the preaching about how everyone should wear a helmet.
         
        05-25-2010, 03:59 PM
      #34
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ridergirl23    
    but they have saved more lives then they have hurt.
    I find it kinda funny... some people that don't wear helmets always are so defenesive. Someone will answer the question the OP was asking with a explanation to why THEY don't, or how they feel, and some people who don't wear helmets always jump right on it... some don't, but... I just found it interesting how so many do....
    I'm sorry, the people who don't wear helmets are jumping on things? We must not be reading the same thread about not wearing helmets (the other thread currently going on).
         
        05-25-2010, 04:22 PM
      #35
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by themacpack    
    I'm sorry, the people who don't wear helmets are jumping on things? We must not be reading the same thread about not wearing helmets (the other thread currently going on).
    im talking in general, not specifically only this thread.
         
        05-25-2010, 04:29 PM
      #36
    Trained
    Personally, I would be dead if it were not for my helmet. My old horse reared & flipped over on me on tightly packed ground. The helmet spilt in half. I had a very serious head injury, it was not fun. I could hardly see, much less walk afterwards. My doctors kept my helmet to show people that helmets do save lives & how it is important to always wear one. That experience is enough for me to know how irresponcible it is to not wear a helmet.
         
        05-25-2010, 04:40 PM
      #37
    Showing
    Good heavens, do we really need two helmet threads?

    I guess we've stopped arguing about slaughter, so we need something else on which we can disagree!
         
        05-25-2010, 04:41 PM
      #38
    Green Broke
    To be fair, SR, this thread pre-dates the latest -- it was started back at the beginning of April and I guess got a second wind due to the newer one.
         
        05-25-2010, 04:44 PM
      #39
    Showing
    Ah, now I see. At least our poseur, wanna-be cowboy, RHK hasn't invaded this thread. Yet.
         
        05-25-2010, 05:19 PM
      #40
    Weanling
    In england you don't see that many riders out in the street
    Probably because I live in the city:P

    But all the ones i've seen have hats im not sure if its law though. For comps and lessons you have to wear them though.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Troxel Riding Helmet hrsjmpr32 Horse Tack and Equipment 4 03-27-2009 09:50 PM
    Used riding helmet for sale. Gingerrrrr Tack and Equipment Classifieds 4 12-28-2008 04:34 PM
    Riding without a helmet? your views on this... SonnyWimps Horse Talk 79 12-04-2008 01:41 AM
    Using helmet when riding... kitten_Val Horse Riding 39 11-29-2008 01:26 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:52 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0