Trial period nightmare! Has anyone been through this?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Resources > Horse Law

Trial period nightmare! Has anyone been through this?

This is a discussion on Trial period nightmare! Has anyone been through this? within the Horse Law forums, part of the Horse Resources category
  • Had been on a trial period
  • What do you do if a horse gors lame during the trial period and owner wont take her back

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    12-13-2010, 12:39 PM
  #1
Foal
Trial period nightmare! Has anyone been through this?

First time horse seller here. Will try to be concise..

I sold my 17 year old QH mare to a man with a 10 day trial period. (mistake #1)
Was told the trial was only to see if she got along with his 2.
She did.
We had a contract that stated:
If she gets injured, he notifies me immediately, and is responsible to seek medical intervention..and pay for all vet bills and meds.
He has the right to refuse to buy her before 10th day.
I have right to inspect and refuse her back if she is injured. (not pre-existing injury or condition)
I also gave a list of conditions for the trial. 1 of them was no hard riding.

@ 2 days into the trial, after being stalled for 2 days, she came up lame with a fetlock injury.
His vet came that day to check her over anyway, and offered bute and joint meds. They gave her neither.
Vet said possibly happened during the 3 hour trailer ride. And might be an old injury that was tweaked.
He has two 15 year old girls who care for his horses for him as he is part time in residence (rich lawyer.. country cabin/farm)
The girls rode her almost daily while she was limping and swollen. I have emails updates from one of them claiming riding at the jog, trot and lope and mentioning that she was still swollen and limping while riding.
On the evening of the 8th day, the girl called to tell me she was almost completely lame, worsening since day 6 and they didnt want her.
I again asked if they called the vet as per the contract, and they stated no. No first aid, no stall rest, no wraps, no ice or heat.
They are now insisting this is a previous injury and therefore I can't refuse her back.
The man is now trying to drug her up to be able to handle the 3 hour ride again.
I am still refusing to take her back. My vet is against moving her at this time with this injury.

While I owned her, She was boarded an hour away so I didnt have much contact. I've owned her approx 5 years. I no longer ride.
She was used for lessons there for many years with no problems. She also does several trail rides per year with no problems.
I contacted the vet we used who states she has never treated this mare for a fetlock injury. And will write an affidavit about it for me.
I have a possible statement from another woman who taught lessons at this barn for over a year using this mare with no problems, and is unaware of any history of fetlock injury or lameness.
She was also still in use as a lesson horse up to the day I sold her with no problems.
Yet the man insists there was one, and refuses to keep her.

They came up 2 weeks prior to purchase and rode for 2 hours with no evident problems.
They also inspected her on day of purchase and she was sound, not swollen and not limping.

I am holding a personal (I know.. stupid) check for the entire amount that I cannot cash because we are now disputing the purchase.

I feel he violated the contract by not notifying me when she worsened.. not seeking medical attention, not applying any first aid or meds, and for the girls riding on a fetlock injury making it worse.

He wants to seek a mediator for the issue, but none are available in my area. I am on fixed income.. single Mom.. and NO money for board and or horse bills.. so I don't want her back. He states they are not keeping her.

Any thoughts??
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    12-13-2010, 02:11 PM
  #2
Started
Wow. I don't know much of anything about law, but I think that you've done a lot of right steps, making sure you have all the paper work, the trial is clearly explained on paper, what you AND he agreed to, and you have your vet who's willing to "testify" that the horse had no prior injury when she was "sold". I hope that you guys can come to a satisfactory conclusion to this mess.
     
    12-13-2010, 02:22 PM
  #3
mls
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snookered    
@ 2 days into the trial, after being stalled for 2 days, she came up lame with a fetlock injury.
His vet came that day to check her over anyway, and offered bute and joint meds. They gave her neither.
Vet said possibly happened during the 3 hour trailer ride. And might be an old injury that was tweaked.

I again asked if they called the vet as per the contract, and they stated no. No first aid, no stall rest, no wraps, no ice or heat.

Any thoughts??
Which is it? Horse was stalled - or wasn't? Vet saw the horse - or didn't?

You were told they were riding the horse while it was sore and swollen and you did not intervene. Sorry - this goes back on you.

3 hours or not, I would of been in my truck with the trailer behind it.
     
    12-13-2010, 02:52 PM
  #4
Foal
Quote:
Which is it? Horse was stalled - or wasn't? Vet saw the horse - or didn't?

You were told they were riding the horse while it was sore and swollen and you did not intervene. Sorry - this goes back on you.

3 hours or not, I would of been in my truck with the trailer behind it.
I don't have that luxury..
I don't have a truck.. or a trailer. Or a way to get her, or the money to rent someone, and no where to bring her back to. She was boarded elsewhere while I owned her and due to an injury of my own, and many other circumstances.. I basically paid her board. But wasnt able to be an active participant in her life.

She went there on a Tuesday night. She stayed in her stall for 2 days due to inclement weather. Thursday when their vet came to check her out, she apparently showed swollen and limping.
Their Vet told them it should work itself out in 3 or so days. I was under the impression from emails that she was healing daily.. less swelling.. hardly limping, and improving each day. Than no word for a few days until they hit me with She is almost completely lame, getting worse over past few days, still limping at the trot, hardly bearing weight, very swollen, doesnt want us touching it and we don't want her.

Up until then, I was under the impression they were giving her meds as they called and asked my permission to do so on day 2. And that a vet was advising them on her care. As soon as I found out they hadnt notified the vet of her worsening condition, I insisted they do so as per the contract. I also at that point demanded they stop riding her and follow vet instructions as to her care until we could resolve this issue.

I was told on day 10 that the vet had finally come back, and gave them bute to give her for 2 days so they could trailer her back on Saturday. That's when I refused to take her back and the fun began.
     
    12-13-2010, 03:15 PM
  #5
Trained
Honestly I can't believe you want to leave this horse with these people. I understand that they didn't follow instructions for her care and now you're going to be out some money, but I would feel terrible leaving this poor horse with them. They've already treated her like crap, her next step is probably an auction (and the meat buyer) if she stays with them.

If it was me, I would take the horse back and do my ****dest to take these people to small claims court to have her vet care paid for.
     
    12-13-2010, 03:49 PM
  #6
Green Broke
Unfortunately this situation is not that uncommon when trial periods are offered and exactly the reason many people would refuse such a deal. I know you said you sold the horse, but in actual fact you haven't so ultimately the responsibility will fall on your shoulders. I do sympathise with your situation but it sounds like you may have to do the best thing for the horse to ensure that she is returned to health and a suitable home is found for her.

There are a couple of areas in your agreement that I think will cause some problems for you:


Quote:
Originally Posted by Snookered    
He has the right to refuse to buy her before 10th day.
This clause would suggest that you should have been prepared to take her back within 10 days, unfortunately that is a risk you must be prepared to accept if you are going to allow a trial. I understand that things are tough for you financially but this was far from a 'done deal'.

I have right to inspect and refuse her back if she is injured. (not pre-existing injury or condition)

Whilst this pre-existing injury clause seems a reasonable enough for a trial contract, it is a big enough legal loophole to drive a truck through. Who's to say that there wasn't some type of pre-existing condition? I am not suggesting that there was necessarily, it just opens up a can of worms for you as the seller.

I also gave a list of conditions for the trial. 1 of them was no hard riding.

Very difficult to actually quantify this statement, hard riding for some would be 30 mins trot work. Hard riding for others is a full day out on the trails. This makes it open to interpretation and leaves you vulnerable, not the potential buyer.

Any thoughts??
As for the rest of the information, sounds like you just need to bring her home despite the financial hardship that it may cause you. Hopefully the injury is not a serious one and you will be able to sell her in the New Year.
     
    12-13-2010, 04:14 PM
  #7
Showing
The trial barn is obviously not a safe place for her. If she was on trial and they hadn't wanted her at the end of the ten days, what would you be doing with her? Legally, you would have to take her back. You claim you do not have a barn for the horse now? I know it's financially hard; my mom is a single mom and we have 7 horses on our property. The horse has to come first, though.

MLS, I think she meant she was stalled the first two days, after she came up lame she was not on stall rest, but being ridden?
     
    12-13-2010, 04:22 PM
  #8
Showing
OP, I do feel sorry for you because of your financial straits, but the fact of the matter is that the horse belongs to you, and whether or not you have a place to board her is immaterial.

Unfortunately, as Sarah pointed out, your contract has huge holes in it that any attorney worth his pay would be able to get past.

I'm sorry, but you need to make arrangements to have her boarded, and take her back. If you have to, give her away. Many people have done that, just to get the animal off their expenses.

I'm not sympathizing with the buyer, but I can see it from his angle. Had you sold the animal outright you wouldn't be having this issue since most horse sales are 'as is', unless explicitly stated otherwise in a binding, signed contract.

I do feel badly for you, but I feel the most sympathy for the horse, who is caught in the middle of all this through no fault of her own.
     
    12-13-2010, 04:50 PM
  #9
mls
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snookered    

I don't have that luxury..
I don't have a truck.. or a trailer. Or a way to get her, or the money to rent someone, and no where to bring her back to. She was boarded elsewhere while I owned her and due to an injury of my own, and many other circumstances.. I basically paid her board. But wasnt able to be an active participant in her life.

She went there on a Tuesday night. She stayed in her stall for 2 days due to inclement weather. Thursday when their vet came to check her out, she apparently showed swollen and limping.
Their Vet told them it should work itself out in 3 or so days. I was under the impression from emails that she was healing daily.. less swelling.. hardly limping, and improving each day. Than no word for a few days until they hit me with She is almost completely lame, getting worse over past few days, still limping at the trot, hardly bearing weight, very swollen, doesnt want us touching it and we don't want her.

Up until then, I was under the impression they were giving her meds as they called and asked my permission to do so on day 2. And that a vet was advising them on her care. As soon as I found out they hadnt notified the vet of her worsening condition, I insisted they do so as per the contract. I also at that point demanded they stop riding her and follow vet instructions as to her care until we could resolve this issue.

I was told on day 10 that the vet had finally come back, and gave them bute to give her for 2 days so they could trailer her back on Saturday. That's when I refused to take her back and the fun began.
Hmm - Story changed from the original post . . . .
     
    12-13-2010, 05:22 PM
  #10
Foal
Ok wow..

Quote:
Hmm - Story changed from the original post . . . .

Really? In what way?
I was trying to just stick to the basics in the OP because this is the Horse Law section of the board not the cry me a river part. Since you asked for more clarity, I tried to offer more details. Sorry if you couldnt follow along.

So some more basics than Im done with this board.
I came to the Horse Law section for advise from anyone who had been in a similar situation. That's why I asked if anyone had been through it.

What I didnt ask for was pissy comments placing blame at my feet as if I havent gone through heartache over this entire situation. I don't mean to sound callus about it, I just didnt want to muddy up this section of the board with personal feelings. I was seeking advise on a legal matter from those who had been through it. My bad.

If it makes you feel better to know.. I lost my spot at her old facility. Most people who buy/sell around me have already done it for the year and have settled in for winter. No openings around me. No one wants a lame horse on property. I didnt feel the need to mention that I've called around already since that's not what the thread was for. Again.......My bad.

And I'm pretty sure I mentioned...... yup, I did .....

That my vet doesnt want her moved right now. So yea, it isnt ideal for the horse to be there.. but its worse to trailer her. I can't pick her up and carry her so guess what?

And no.. I don't 'want' to leave this horse anywhere. But as stated.. it is what it is for now. Its not a financial hardship.. Its monetarily impossible. Because her previous stable used her for lessons, I paid next to nothing. I wont be getting that same deal anywhere with a lame horse. But until this is worked out. There are no other options. My magical money tree has dropped all its leaves for the winter.

If I was sticking around, I'd go post that in the you suck as a horse owner section so you could all have at me.. but I see how this forums treats the inexperienced newcomer and Its not for me..

Thanks for all who tried to offer up some support or thoughts on the contract. I appreciate that.


     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trial period and personal check? Doveguy Horse Talk 20 12-12-2010 02:36 PM
would you recommend a contract for a short trial period ? horseshoes Horse Law 0 08-24-2010 08:04 PM
Honeymoon period for horses? mandm245 Horse Training 18 01-27-2010 02:42 PM
Gestation Period whinruss Horse Breeding 1 04-08-2008 10:17 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0