Originally Posted by Doveguy
When my wife called that on call vet. She was almost frantic and near tears with concern. She explained her concern for the mare and foal in detail including the fact that the mare had retained her placenta the last time she foaled and that we couldn't find the entire placenta.
This is what I don't understand. If you were so concerned about the mare and foal and the on call vet wouldn't come out, why did you not call another vet!?
I know you say you trusted the vet's advice, etc, but you said right there that you called him/her twice in the space of an hour. Did he not quell your concerns the first time? But he did the second time?
I can not fathom trying to make this anybody's else's responsibility. YOU decided to accept the on call vet/receptionist's advice. It backfired. Still YOUR decision, not their's.
The fact that your wife said that you could not find the entire placenta is yet another reason why when she/you got off the phone with that first vet you should have picked the phone back up and dialed the number of a different vet. You don't mess around with retained placentas. You as the mare's owner are responsible for getting her the care she needs. Not blindly accepting the advice you are given.