Who should pay the vet bill? - Page 5
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Resources > Horse Law

Who should pay the vet bill?

This is a discussion on Who should pay the vet bill? within the Horse Law forums, part of the Horse Resources category
  • Should i pay the vet bill
  • Can i make a person pay horse vet bills

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    05-13-2011, 10:15 AM
  #41
Banned
As I remind my husband on a pretty regular basis, "I failed mind reading in school".
I am guessing your vet failed mind reading too.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    05-13-2011, 11:06 AM
  #42
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doveguy    
. I didn't call them with a demand for them to come. I called them asking if they should come? The office lady said it isn't necessary to come. I trusted that advice. If I had called other vets it would prove that I was not relying on their advice.

I guess this is where you lose me. The veterinary office I use has 6 or 7 vets. Anytime I make a phone call regarding one of my horses I get put on hold by the receptionist and a vet or vet assistant answers the call. The receptionists schedule appointments. The vets give medical advice. Next time ask to speak to the vet.
     
    05-13-2011, 11:17 AM
  #43
Started
Exactly what I was saying: in big practices, the front office person is a receptionist. You don't ask them for advice, usually they schedule appointments.
In our practice, its small with two vets, so unless the vets wife is in the office doing scheduling, we, the vet techs do it all. But we are not vets, so don't give medical advice, we get the vets on the phone or have them return the call as quickly as possible if we can't relay their message to the phone caller.
I don't beleive the vet failed this person, I beleive the person failed to even talk to a vet during the day, just asked the receptionist what to do. It does sound like the on call vet did not understand the person WANTED a vet to come out after reading more and more replies from the OP, it sounded like they called, told them the mare foaled and seemed okay and didn't actually ASK the vet to come out. I don't beleive it was the on call vets fault, I don't beleive the caller made it clear that the mare had a previous foaling issue and didn't explain how concerned they were. I can't beleive any vet would refuse to come out if a person "begged" the vet to come out. If that is true, then yes the on call vet failed and the owner of the practice needs to be notified that the vet is not doing his/her job and refused to come out on an emergency.. but, the OP can't hold the receptionist responsible for not telling a vet that a call was immediately necessary if the OP did not TELL them it was necessary.
     
    05-13-2011, 06:44 PM
  #44
Foal
The "on call vet" is a regular large animal vet in a three vet office. The lead vet is the founding owner. The vets take turns being the "on call vet" so someone will always be available. On the first call at roughly 5:00 AM we called the emergency number and the on call vet returned our call. We told her our mare foaled and we wanted her to come, now. About 30 minutes later my wife called the on call vet again and pleaded with her to come. The on call vet informed my wife that there was no need for her to attend. I waited until the office opened and I called the office to find out what the policy was because I thought the vet should have attended. I did not demand that they visit immediately but I asked what should be done. The office lady who has given us excellent advice for years explained that since the baby was born and nursing that it is not necessary for the vet to attend right then. I accepted that. She also told me that it would be appropriate to send the vet out 12 hours after the birth to check the foal and I understood that that would happen. I failed to describe the placenta problem to her. No vet attended. In retrospect, I should have not accepted no for an answer.
The next day I had a conversation with the founding vet. I asked him if a vet should attend a birth. He answered that all equine births should have a vet present or if that is not possible, the vet should attend ASAP. I explained that his on call vet refused to attend when we asked her twice to come and his front office staff didn't know to send a vet out and didn't even send one out for the 12 hour testing on the foal. From my perspective, the vet should have come out when we asked her to do so at 5:30 AM and again at 6:00. The office staff should have sent a vet out when I asked what the vet's policy is at at 9:30 AM because the lead vet said to me that it is his policy to do so. And the office staff failed us again when they didn't send a vet out at about 2:00 PM which was the 12 hour mark. Even the office staff knew that it was standard policy to send a vet out at that point. My count is that they made 4 errors.
Now if I had just called to share the news about our new foal and to let them know we have an addition to our farm, it would be the responsibility for the office staff to try to exercise the lead vet's policy by saying something like "we recommend that a vet attend" and then if I had refused to let them attend or delayed letting them attend then the results of my decision would have been my responsibility. But because they did not follow the lead vet's policy, I believe that the vet practice is responsible for some of if not all of the cost of fixing the resulting problem.

The vets in that office are competent and excellent. I cannot understand why the on call vet didn't attend. She is a vet and should have known better and we were clear and insistent that she attend immediately. If I am talking in circles, I am sorry but the whole thing is upsetting and the facts and issues are difficult to write out clearly and concisely. The bright spot in all this is that the mare and foal pulled though. If we had lost either of them, we would be in despair. I initially decided to send a letter but instead I will just make a call or set an appointment to have a talk with the lead vet. He is a good friend and I don't want to do anything to upset that. I am not going to sue my vet. He is a good guy and I bet he feels that his office let me down. It will be very interesting to hear what he has to say.
     
    05-13-2011, 07:25 PM
  #45
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysbehind    
As I remind my husband on a pretty regular basis, "I failed mind reading in school".
I am guessing your vet failed mind reading too.
That is not funny. When my wife called that on call vet. She was almost frantic and near tears with concern. She explained her concern for the mare and foal in detail including the fact that the mare had retained her placenta the last time she foaled and that we couldn't find the entire placenta. There was no mind reading. You may find it impossible to believe. I don't understand it either but it happened. If I have failed to describe how insistent she was, well I am sorry but that quip about mind reading and your husband... well I won't comment on that.

Saraha, You have excellent advice there. From now on and forevermore, I will speak only with the lead vet or his other partner.
     
    05-13-2011, 08:54 PM
  #46
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doveguy    
When my wife called that on call vet. She was almost frantic and near tears with concern. She explained her concern for the mare and foal in detail including the fact that the mare had retained her placenta the last time she foaled and that we couldn't find the entire placenta.
This is what I don't understand. If you were so concerned about the mare and foal and the on call vet wouldn't come out, why did you not call another vet!?

I know you say you trusted the vet's advice, etc, but you said right there that you called him/her twice in the space of an hour. Did he not quell your concerns the first time? But he did the second time?

I can not fathom trying to make this anybody's else's responsibility. YOU decided to accept the on call vet/receptionist's advice. It backfired. Still YOUR decision, not their's.

The fact that your wife said that you could not find the entire placenta is yet another reason why when she/you got off the phone with that first vet you should have picked the phone back up and dialed the number of a different vet. You don't mess around with retained placentas. You as the mare's owner are responsible for getting her the care she needs. Not blindly accepting the advice you are given.
     
    05-16-2011, 08:48 AM
  #47
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doveguy    
That is not funny. When my wife called that on call vet. She was almost frantic and near tears with concern. She explained her concern for the mare and foal in detail including the fact that the mare had retained her placenta the last time she foaled and that we couldn't find the entire placenta. There was no mind reading. You may find it impossible to believe. I don't understand it either but it happened. .
No, but when you called the regular office person a few hours later (we are not talking about eons later if the original call to the E-vet was at 5am) you did NOT express that concern. You say so yourself.
You expected them to read your mind that you had concerns for the health of the mare.

I do not know the whole story of what the E-vet was doing when your wife called. With out that it is not fair to judge what the E-vet did. (If the E-vet was dealing with something more urgent and your wife, though frantic, described a good birth with the foal nursing and the office opened in a very short time I can see her not dropping what she was doing to come to your place.)

It sounds like the mistake was made when you called the regular vet in the AM and did not actually schedule a visit.
     
    05-16-2011, 11:23 AM
  #48
mls
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmpony84    
I have to disagree here. While it is the owners responsibility to seek medical care for his/her mare, a person SHOULD be able to trust the advice or the expertise of their vet.

My person reaction to this is to find a new vet because this vet has lost "trust"....
IF the person on the phone gives the vet the whole story.

The first post here said nothing about the mare not cleaning

I still say it's the owners and only the owners responsibility to pay the bill. The mare had a history of not cleaning. The owner should of said "molly foaled, we need a post foaling check".
     
    05-16-2011, 11:25 AM
  #49
mls
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doveguy    
When my wife called that on call vet. She was almost frantic and near tears with concern. She explained her concern for the mare and foal in detail including the fact that the mare had retained her placenta the last time she foaled and that we couldn't find the entire placenta.
You keep adding to the story. If you didn't tell the vet the entire situation at the time you called, how are they supposed to make an informed decision?
     
    05-16-2011, 12:03 PM
  #50
Banned
As I already noted, things are not being overly consistent here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doveguy    
When my wife called that on call vet. She was almost frantic and near tears with concern. She explained her concern for the mare and foal in detail including the fact that the mare had retained her placenta the last time she foaled and that we couldn't find the entire placenta.
But previously in this thread you posted this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doveguy    
Maura, Your point is well taken. If I am at fault, it is because I didn't do my job properly as a responsible mare owner should examine the afterbirth with a critical eye and determine that the placenta is still in her.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
*sigh* Another vet bill HowClever Horse Health 11 07-07-2010 10:05 AM
Vet Bill Blues 7Ponies Horse Health 18 12-05-2009 10:08 PM
Bill, I thought of you when I saw this 3neighs Horse Talk 0 07-29-2009 11:45 AM
Old Bill Kirsti Arndt Horse Memorials 4 12-11-2008 01:17 PM
Bill our Gelding wdarmac Horse Health 4 05-24-2008 11:28 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0