2 thin question - Page 4
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health > Horse Nutrition

2 thin question

This is a discussion on 2 thin question within the Horse Nutrition forums, part of the Horse Health category
  • Thin built twh

Like Tree27Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    04-30-2013, 01:21 AM
  #31
Trained
Agree with others that he's too thin. Hard to tell from that pic, but appears not terribly so, but his topline & hips make him look angular as well. How old is he? Ulcers & acidosis are another reason horses can fail to thrive even if fed 'enough'.

Yes, you most certainly can overdo 'treats' like apples, carrots, oats & molasses, especially if he has above gut probs, or is insulin resistant or such. Look up safergrass.org & ecirhorse.com for more info on why & what is healthy.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    04-30-2013, 10:06 AM
  #32
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by loosie    
Agree with others that he's too thin. Hard to tell from that pic, but appears not terribly so, but his topline & hips make him look angular as well. How old is he? Ulcers & acidosis are another reason horses can fail to thrive even if fed 'enough'.

Yes, you most certainly can overdo 'treats' like apples, carrots, oats & molasses, especially if he has above gut probs, or is insulin resistant or such. Look up safergrass.org & ecirhorse.com for more info on why & what is healthy.
Thank you
I did find out what he is fed it is awesome .but I was told that his problem was that he does not eat all his food. I will ck with my vet on making a appointment
     
    04-30-2013, 10:43 AM
  #33
Started
The horse in the background looks a little underweight, too. Can you take over feeding your horse? Even if you can't, if you go there every day, you could add a meal, keep it at home, and take a bucket with you to the barn.

Do you have Southern States Co-Op there? If you do, I recommend the Legends Performance, because it is high in fat. It has done wonders for my horses. It comes in "textured", which is grain, or "pelleted", so ask the vet if the grain is OK, or the pellet would be better. Just be sure to add it slowly, again, ask the vet his or her recommendation.

He looks adorable. My TWH, Sissy was a bit thin after winter, and she looks gorgeous now!

Good Luck, please let us know what the vet says!

Nancy
     
    04-30-2013, 10:52 AM
  #34
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by teresa60    
Thank you
I did find out what he is fed it is awesome .but I was told that his problem was that he does not eat all his food. I will ck with my vet on making a appointment
Then she needs to figure out how much he IS eating, and why he's not eating what he needs. If it's a medical issue, the vet will help you sort it out. If it's a habit, or if he's getting too much feed at one time, or if he just doesn't really like his feed, that's something the person who feeds him will have to help you sort out.
teresa60 likes this.
     
    04-30-2013, 10:56 AM
  #35
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentree    
The horse in the background looks a little underweight, too. Can you take over feeding your horse? Even if you can't, if you go there every day, you could add a meal, keep it at home, and take a bucket with you to the barn.

Do you have Southern States Co-Op there? If you do, I recommend the Legends Performance, because it is high in fat. It has done wonders for my horses. It comes in "textured", which is grain, or "pelleted", so ask the vet if the grain is OK, or the pellet would be better. Just be sure to add it slowly, again, ask the vet his or her recommendation.

He looks adorable. My TWH, Sissy was a bit thin after winter, and she looks gorgeous now!

Good Luck, please let us know what the vet says!


Nancy
I will check on Legends Performance very helpful information. And no I can't be there everyday to feed him I trust the stable owner. Maybe it has a lot to do with winter .I was also told he needs to build mussel
     
    04-30-2013, 11:15 AM
  #36
Trained
He can't build muscle being too thin. If your horse is leaving hay, either he can't eat it or the quality is too poor and he doesn't want to eat it. Either way, this horse needs to see a vet, I can almost guarantee you he needs his teeth done and a fecal worm count, he looks very unthrifty as does the horse in the background. Once you get him vetted and on proper nutrition, he won't look like the same horse. I want to commend you for recognizing a problem with your horse's condition and seeking help to correct it.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    04-30-2013, 11:59 AM
  #37
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by waresbear    
He can't build muscle being too thin. If your horse is leaving hay, either he can't eat it or the quality is too poor and he doesn't want to eat it. Either way, this horse needs to see a vet, I can almost guarantee you he needs his teeth done and a fecal worm count, he looks very unthrifty as does the horse in the background. Once you get him vetted and on proper nutrition, he won't look like the same horse. I want to commend you for recognizing a problem with your horse's condition and seeking help to correct it.
Posted via Mobile Device
He does walk very slow I don't think he feels good. I don't care if he needs a lot of help I am happy to have found him .
waresbear likes this.
     
    04-30-2013, 07:23 PM
  #38
Trained
Teresa, that is not a lot of help, it's what responsible horse owners do regularly. We buy quality feed, our horses get vet check ups yearly to get teeth floats, fecals done regularly, vaccines, etc. As you get more experienced working with horses, the more you can do yourself and save on costs, however, my horses still see a vet every year or two, they always look shiny, healthy, & muscular. Your horse will look this way too, he just needs your help to be his best.
     
    04-30-2013, 07:31 PM
  #39
Foal
Thanks everyone
I did start a thread in horse health about a update on Diamond
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My 11 yr old is too thin Faith2005 Horse Health 15 06-25-2013 09:18 PM
The difference between thin-thin and muscle-loss-thin? Wallaby Horse Health 7 12-03-2012 10:41 AM
How does he look now? Still to thin? lauraetco Horse Health 14 12-26-2011 12:46 PM
Are they too thin? LoveStory10 Horse Health 22 04-14-2010 01:52 AM
Too thin? Lori1983 Horse Health 29 03-11-2009 09:43 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0