For all those who seem to believe that you don't need to soak sugar beet! - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health > Horse Nutrition

For all those who seem to believe that you don't need to soak sugar beet!

This is a discussion on For all those who seem to believe that you don't need to soak sugar beet! within the Horse Nutrition forums, part of the Horse Health category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        12-13-2010, 10:23 PM
      #11
    dee
    Started
    Thanks SR - I was beginning to think I was the only person who soaked beet pulp and gave a horse a hot...well, warm, meal. I have fed the pellets dry and had no issues. I just got a bit paranoid and decided to soak them.

    The shreds I always soaked for fear my horses would choke. It might not ever happen, but it seems that if something bad can happen to a horse, it's going to happen to one of mine. Not Murphy's law...DEE's law.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        12-14-2010, 08:39 AM
      #12
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dee    
    Thanks SR - I was beginning to think I was the only person who soaked beet pulp and gave a horse a hot...well, warm, meal. I have fed the pellets dry and had no issues. I just got a bit paranoid and decided to soak them.
    You are certainly not the only one.

    I soak it. The only time I feed beet pulp is in the winter and part of the reason I feed it is to get more liquids in my mare. She does not drink enough water (in my opinion) in the winter.

    I was just saying before that soaking is not required. But heck, There is nothing better than the slurping noise a horse makes when they are eating a wet meal. Love that noise. Slurp slurp slurp followed by some licking and lip smacking.
         
        12-14-2010, 09:03 AM
      #13
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alwaysbehind    
    You are certainly not the only one.

    I soak it. The only time I feed beet pulp is in the winter and part of the reason I feed it is to get more liquids in my mare. She does not drink enough water (in my opinion) in the winter.

    I was just saying before that soaking is not required. But heck, There is nothing better than the slurping noise a horse makes when they are eating a wet meal. Love that noise. Slurp slurp slurp followed by some licking and lip smacking.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        12-14-2010, 09:19 AM
      #14
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dee    
    Thanks SR - I was beginning to think I was the only person who soaked beet pulp and gave a horse a hot...well, warm, meal.
    Oh heck no, dee! There are plenty of us who like to give our horses warm, wet meals in the winter.

    Mine are extremely pampered barn pets. If I could find a way to housebreak them, I'd probably bring them inside!
         
        12-14-2010, 09:47 AM
      #15
    Yearling
    I always soak my beetpulp. Don't want to take any chance with choke.
         
        12-14-2010, 10:21 AM
      #16
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Speed Racer    
    Mine are extremely pampered barn pets. If I could find a way to housebreak them, I'd probably bring them inside!
    Mine might not have a pretty barn with nice stalls, but they are spoiled pretty rotten. Soda refuses to move too far out of his portion of the lean to when we had our last storm..... So I brought water over to him so he could drink. Even my horsie friends laughed at me for spoiling him!

    I probably would bring them inside if I could housebreak them too. Told mom and dad that I will build them a new barn as long as it has an apartment up top for me to live in.
         
        12-14-2010, 10:32 AM
      #17
    dee
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MN Tigerstripes    
    I probably would bring them inside if I could housebreak them too. Told mom and dad that I will build them a new barn as long as it has an apartment up top for me to live in.
    Now there's an idea. If hubby and I ever build another house, that's what I'm going to do! Barn downstairs and living quarters upstairs...wait a minute - I'm too old for stairs. Living quarters in the rear!
         
        12-14-2010, 10:34 AM
      #18
    Showing
    Actually MN and dee, they do make house/barn combos. The barn is at one end of the structure, and the house is at the other end.

    There's a place near where I live that has one. It's an interesting looking building, and I'm envious that they don't have to go outside in bad weather to feed the horses.
         
        12-14-2010, 10:35 AM
      #19
    Green Broke
    It does seem odd that they think a stranger may have come by and given the pellets as a treat. I would think it would have to be a pretty significant amount to expand to the point of causing death. Not just a few handfuls from a stranger wanting to give a treat. I think they are missing something here.

    But yes, when I feed the shreds, I soak them. Mainly because I want to increase water intake this time of year too, since they don't particularly like the icy water in the pastures, and drink less.
         
        12-14-2010, 04:24 PM
      #20
    Trained
    That would be really nice. There are days I hate going outside to feed too, generally when it's -20.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Wades Sugar Bar westonsma Horse Riding Critique 5 03-25-2010 10:03 AM
    Teaching to soak foot?? free_sprtd Horse Training 8 08-26-2009 01:29 AM
    How long do I soak the hay????? Lizz Horse Health 4 02-14-2009 11:00 PM
    PR Sugar McCue Freedomnchrist Horse Pictures 6 04-10-2008 03:15 PM
    Sugar Beet/Beet Pulp blue._.skyes Horse Health 1 05-01-2007 02:44 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:42 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0