Amount of hay - am I just being paranoid? - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health > Horse Nutrition

Amount of hay - am I just being paranoid?

This is a discussion on Amount of hay - am I just being paranoid? within the Horse Nutrition forums, part of the Horse Health category

    Like Tree2Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        07-03-2012, 10:03 AM
      #11
    Green Broke
    Thanks everyone! And for those of you mentioning the nets, I had a very nice "Freedom Feeder" for her, and it sort of worked to slow her down BUT it was a pain for them to load and then I guess one morning the BO found her standing in her stall with her head tangled up in the net!!! So no more net, for obvious safety reasons!!

    She is turned out during the day after the AM feed and brought back in around 3 or 4, depending. They go out every day unless the barn is having a show (once a month) or there are thunderstorms in the area. They have access to grass pastures while they're outside.

    Oh and to address the ulcer question, the ulcers she had before were caused by foxtail in the crappy quality hay at our previous barn. Before then, she had NEVER had a problem with ulcers. Lately she has started to exhibit symptoms again (getting girthy - normally she is not at all girthy, she only started that after the foxtail incident) but I know the hay at this barn doesn't have foxtail in it, so an empty stomach is the only other thing I can think of.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        07-03-2012, 10:04 AM
      #12
    Green Broke
    Hmm I am interested in the idea about the lesser quality hay keeping her busier...wonder where I could go in search of "crappy hay" lol
         
        07-03-2012, 10:06 AM
      #13
    Green Broke
    I feed 4 Xday too but every 6 hours around the clock. They still always act hungry.
    Your barn feeds 2 flakes for breakfast, a noon lunch of one flake followed by 2 more at 4Pm. Most of their hay is given within a maybe, 10 hour time span. They then go from 9PM until morning on one flake.
    I would suggest asking them to give one flake at 4 PM & 2 at 9 PM.
    I use the Nibble Nets & it really slows down their eating. Each stall has one & there are more for dry lot feeding. Sometimes I even put the nets right on the ground. They are a bit costly but are tough, safe & easy to fill.
    I like how your barn feeds but maybe tweaking it a bit would be better for your horse & a late feeding in a Nibble net could be your answer to keeping something in her stomach.
         
        07-03-2012, 10:09 AM
      #14
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hoofprints in the Sand    
    Hmm I am interested in the idea about the lesser quality hay keeping her busier...wonder where I could go in search of "crappy hay" lol
    Careful with that idea. I once gave my horse a $3000 lunch of lesser quality hay.
         
        07-03-2012, 10:20 AM
      #15
    dee
    Started
    When I say lesser quality, I don't mean crappy. Just maybe a bit overmature and stemmy. What some people might refer to at "gelding hay."
    Taffy Clayton likes this.
         
        07-03-2012, 10:30 AM
      #16
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by natisha    
    I feed 4 Xday too but every 6 hours around the clock. They still always act hungry.
    Your barn feeds 2 flakes for breakfast, a noon lunch of one flake followed by 2 more at 4Pm. Most of their hay is given within a maybe, 10 hour time span. They then go from 9PM until morning on one flake.
    I would suggest asking them to give one flake at 4 PM & 2 at 9 PM.
    I use the Nibble Nets & it really slows down their eating. Each stall has one & there are more for dry lot feeding. Sometimes I even put the nets right on the ground. They are a bit costly but are tough, safe & easy to fill.
    I like how your barn feeds but maybe tweaking it a bit would be better for your horse & a late feeding in a Nibble net could be your answer to keeping something in her stomach.
    I really like that idea and maybe that's my answer!! They have these cute little stall cards that list how many flakes they get at each feeding too so I wouldn't think it would be difficult to change! THANKS!
         
        07-03-2012, 11:07 AM
      #17
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dee    
    When I say lesser quality, I don't mean crappy. Just maybe a bit overmature and stemmy. What some people might refer to at "gelding hay."
    Also called pony hay. Almost every load of hay has some lesser quality hay in it somewhere, be it an entire bale or some flakes here and there, I save that for Pilgrims snacks and the ponies. Also last years hay is not as palatable as this years.

    I do hate it when Pilgrim is finished with his hay and the hard keeper next door still has several hours of hay left, and he has to look at him chew contently all night long.
         
        07-03-2012, 12:26 PM
      #18
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Taffy Clayton    
    I do hate it when Pilgrim is finished with his hay and the hard keeper next door still has several hours of hay left, and he has to look at him chew contently all night long.
    I know! I feel so bad for her, even though it's her own fault she has none left!

    I wonder how much of Sandie's issue stems from her being a neglected/starved rescue horse. The first 6 1/2 years of her life she was neglected and starved. I got her when she was 7 1/2, a year after she had been rescued and was being rehabilitated.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    I'm a paranoid freak. Easter Horse Health 4 04-05-2012 10:19 AM
    AQHA paper ? ow I'm paranoid, anyone want to help? busysmurf Horse Talk 7 03-01-2012 11:52 PM
    I think someone has been beating my horse, or maybe I'm paranoid?? Cinnys Whinny Horse Health 54 02-11-2011 09:46 AM
    Paranoid Horse mommy needs help please! Velvet Horse Breeding 9 12-12-2008 01:13 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:50 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0