Best way to add weight to a 4 year old tb?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health > Horse Nutrition

Best way to add weight to a 4 year old tb?

This is a discussion on Best way to add weight to a 4 year old tb? within the Horse Nutrition forums, part of the Horse Health category
  • Best ways to put weight on a horse
  • What's the best feed to add weight to thoroughbred

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    01-02-2011, 10:28 PM
  #1
Weanling
Best way to add weight to a 4 year old tb?

Not my horse first off, I'm riding for a guy who is horse-tarded. I'm working with her to get her a little more broke and well mannered. She's a little ribby and right now getting 2 flakes am, 2-3 flakes pm of grass hay and 1 3qt scoop both am and pm of(and I don't know who advised this to him) a mixture of chap wsweet feed and oats..
He's asking me for help..I've suggested Gro'n win because that's what my 10 y/o pinto is on with 1.5qts alfalfa pellets and beet pulp(1/4 scoop each am and pm) plus extra hay.
What would be reccmended for the 4y/o? I really like Gro'n Win. It's a ration balancer and costs about 30 a month which is what he's spending on sweet feed and oats. Roccomendations? My farrier says he feeds Gro'n win and if any of his horses get ribby he adds some oats. I've been told she has gotten a little snotty since starting the sweet feed and I know it's about as healthy as mcdonalds.
Do you think Gro'n win and beetpulp/alfalfa or maybe gro'n win and extra hay? Extra hay comes to 2 flakes per day extra so average 7 flakes a day.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    01-03-2011, 09:26 AM
  #2
Started
1 1/2 lbs of the Gro N WIn for at least 30 days then it can prob be dropped to 1lb

FREE CHOICE HAY!! All the hay she wants and will eat is a given IMO with any horse needing to gain weight the only time I limit hay is for the severly over weight
     
    01-03-2011, 09:35 AM
  #3
Trained
Absolutely, I feel horses who are hard keepers like the majority of TB's, do very well infront of a Round Bale - or where they get unlimited hay all day/night.

Roughage, roughage, roughage, roughage :)

.......odd...the more I type that...the more it looks weird to me........
     
    01-03-2011, 11:15 AM
  #4
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIEventer    
Absolutely, I feel horses who are hard keepers like the majority of TB's, do very well infront of a Round Bale - or where they get unlimited hay all day/night.

Roughage, roughage, roughage, roughage :)

.......odd...the more I type that...the more it looks weird to me........
Wonderful! Thanks for the advice! I know hay is important for gaining weightt. Unfortunately free choice isn't a choice. Extra is about the best that can be done unless we buy hay from an outside selller and then its in mass quantities but theres no where to store it. This is a smaller private owned facility
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    01-03-2011, 12:14 PM
  #5
Showing
I used Grow 'n Win for a few months to see how mine did on it, and it did nothing. It's crazy high in protein and not what you want to use unless you need to, IMO.

I used Safe Choice to put weight on my Thoroughbreds (ages 5 and 7), and still use it with them now that they're up to a normal weight. What I like about it is that it's so versatile and can be fed to almost any horse. Before I used it, we had six different feeds to keep track of. My senior got Nutrena Equine Senior topped with oats, my Thoroughbreds got Nutrena Prime (which is also a good feed for putting on and maintaining weight for horses in their prime) and beet pulp, my mare with a foal at her side got Nutrena Mare 'n Foal, and my 7-month old colt got Foal Starter. With Safe Choice, I can feed 7 horses on 1 feed, they eat a bag a day total, and they're all at good weights.

One thing I found to be true is that even if you're feeding the best feed in the world, it doesn't do ANYTHING if you only feed it once a day, no matter the quantity per feeding. What really keeps their metabolism working and puts weight on them is multiple feedings per day of smaller amounts of grain. If you can feed 4 servings of a pound each time, that's a lot better than one feeding a day of 4 lbs. Space it out.

Hay is also a very important factor to consider. Good quality hay is going to make the difference. When my farmer's out of second cutting, my horses drop weight very quickly until I can find another farmer to deliver second cutting. I like a mix of grass and Timothy, it should be soft to touch and not prickly. A nice green color, not yellow. My horses all have free choice hay, which helps especially in the winter months when they have to keep eating to stay warm.

I like the round bale idea, when I can get one I put it under the awning so they can nibble on it if I'm late to feed, they're not going to founder off of it because it's not too rich, and they enjoy always having a source of hay available.

I mentioned beet pulp before, and I like what it does for their weight, bit it's a pain to make and soak and clean up after. I used it on Excel when he came to me off the track and it worked great, but I dropped it after a few months because it's such a pain.

Oats are a good topper to feed in addition to grain, it's a nice treat for the horses and it's good for putting weight on.

One thing I was really impressed with is corn oil. It puts weight on them very nicely and makes their coat super shiny. I buy the huge containers of it so it lasts a while.
     
    01-03-2011, 01:05 PM
  #6
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by equiniphile    
I used Grow 'n Win for a few months to see how mine did on it, and it did nothing. It's crazy high in protein and not what you want to use unless you need to, IMO.

I used Safe Choice to put weight on my Thoroughbreds (ages 5 and 7), and still use it with them now that they're up to a normal weight. What I like about it is that it's so versatile and can be fed to almost any horse. Before I used it, we had six different feeds to keep track of. My senior got Nutrena Equine Senior topped with oats, my Thoroughbreds got Nutrena Prime (which is also a good feed for putting on and maintaining weight for horses in their prime) and beet pulp, my mare with a foal at her side got Nutrena Mare 'n Foal, and my 7-month old colt got Foal Starter. With Safe Choice, I can feed 7 horses on 1 feed, they eat a bag a day total, and they're all at good weights.

One thing I found to be true is that even if you're feeding the best feed in the world, it doesn't do ANYTHING if you only feed it once a day, no matter the quantity per feeding. What really keeps their metabolism working and puts weight on them is multiple feedings per day of smaller amounts of grain. If you can feed 4 servings of a pound each time, that's a lot better than one feeding a day of 4 lbs. Space it out.

Hay is also a very important factor to consider. Good quality hay is going to make the difference. When my farmer's out of second cutting, my horses drop weight very quickly until I can find another farmer to deliver second cutting. I like a mix of grass and Timothy, it should be soft to touch and not prickly. A nice green color, not yellow. My horses all have free choice hay, which helps especially in the winter months when they have to keep eating to stay warm.

I like the round bale idea, when I can get one I put it under the awning so they can nibble on it if I'm late to feed, they're not going to founder off of it because it's not too rich, and they enjoy always having a source of hay available.

I mentioned beet pulp before, and I like what it does for their weight, bit it's a pain to make and soak and clean up after. I used it on Excel when he came to me off the track and it worked great, but I dropped it after a few months because it's such a pain.

Oats are a good topper to feed in addition to grain, it's a nice treat for the horses and it's good for putting weight on.

One thing I was really impressed with is corn oil. It puts weight on them very nicely and makes their coat super shiny. I buy the huge containers of it so it lasts a while.
That's really informative Thank you! I myself questioned the high protien in Gro'n Win (it's 32% if I'm not mistaken) However I talked to the owner of the feed store I go to which is exclusive to buckeye nutrition. She knew everything about the feeds and I can't quote her it was a month ago but she assured me it's a high amount however youronly gfeeding a tiny amout. I'm not sure what it bres down to buiut it's not 32% in the end becvause your only feeding on average 1.25lbs a day. It's worked wonders on my gelding I was told to try it for 3 months minimum because that's how long it takes for their cells to completely turn around but his attitude was different in a matter of 2 weeks. He's back to the reliable gelding I could put a baby on and not worry about.

I'll try the pound and a half of gro'n win..I'l get some pictures of her and post them on here. I've been using vegatable oil for my gelding, it does e same as corn oil doesnt it? He bulked up when I gave it to him but now that he's healthy at a nice weght I've stopped. I love beet pulp too. My gelding gets about 1/32 of a 3 qt scoop a day. I don't soak it however. I know some people swear it cses chokle but I believe the research that it doesnt...unless your horse is a bolt feeder of course.m.I'm on my way to the feed store now, I'll get pictures when I gwt to the barn.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    01-03-2011, 02:12 PM
  #7
Showing
A lot of people use gro 'n win as a topper for growing horse. I would definitely soak the beet pulp, though. Vegetable oil is much the same as corn oil, yes.
     
    01-03-2011, 03:20 PM
  #8
Started
Equiniphile you feed 1lb of gro N win at 32% so .32 lbs of protein per day

If you feed 3 lbs of a 12% feed that is .36lbs of protien per day so in reality you are feeding LESS Protien with Gro N Win
     
    01-03-2011, 06:17 PM
  #9
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggysue    
equiniphile you feed 1lb of gro N win at 32% so .32 lbs of protein per day

If you feed 3 lbs of a 12% feed that is .36lbs of protien per day so in reality you are feeding LESS Protien with Gro N Win
Thank you! I culdn't remember the exacty breakdown.

I talked with her owner and we're going to do Gro'n win as well as extra hay and veggie oil. If she still isn't gaining we'll add oats or beet pulp
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    01-03-2011, 07:26 PM
  #10
Started
Just remember to multiply it by the amount fed and turn it to decimal :) that gives you the amount weight wise the horse is getting.

So on average the 12% feed designed to be fed at 5lbs per day is .60lbs of low quality protien

Where a supplement like Gro N Win is .32 lbs of usable protien
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how can i keep the weight off? Hello Horse Health 7 08-04-2010 11:54 AM
37 year old horse and weight Pro Horse Health 13 07-12-2010 09:21 AM
under weight 3 year old BarnDiva Horse Nutrition 1 06-12-2010 06:57 PM
Cant put on weight! MaggiStar Horse Nutrition 16 06-08-2010 08:25 PM
getting my 13 year old to gain weight babyruth1984 Horse Health 10 01-07-2009 01:02 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0