Choosing a new grain to feed
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health > Horse Nutrition

Choosing a new grain to feed

This is a discussion on Choosing a new grain to feed within the Horse Nutrition forums, part of the Horse Health category
  • Fibregized grain
  • Pennfield fibergized feed for yearling horse?

Like Tree1Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    12-15-2012, 01:29 PM
  #1
Yearling
Choosing a new grain to feed

Well yesterday I was informed that my local feed stores no longer carry the type of grain I've been using I was told they don't even carry it in California anymore (not sure if that is true). It was the Pennfield Fibergized Grain. Specialty Feeds - Fibregized . I only was able to use it for about a month and I really liked it, but now I am needing to find a new grain.


My mare is 15 years old and is ridden at least every other day. Usually I ride 5 out of 7 days of the week. We barrel race so she works hard and needs something extra besides just hay.


What is your favorite type of grain? Or one that you have found works well. Any suggestions or something similar to the Pennfield would be great
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    12-15-2012, 11:53 PM
  #2
Yearling
Also- has anyone used Woody's Summer Heat feed?
     
    12-16-2012, 01:28 AM
  #3
Trained
Check out Nutrena Empower Boost. That might come somewhat close.
I checked the Pennfield website, no dealer in my area of Cali, so the info given to you might be true.
     
    12-16-2012, 02:22 AM
  #4
Green Broke
Triple Crown Senior has a very similar guaranteed analysis to Fibregized- even has a similar, low NSC. It might be worth seeing if there's a distributor in your area.
OneFastHorse likes this.
     
    12-16-2012, 04:35 AM
  #5
Green Broke
I use woodys mixed with another feed. Straight woodys doesn't work on my guys, have to raise the fat. Here's a photo of how my hard keeper looks.

He eats a high fat pellet and woodys 10 2 lbs of each twice a day. Straight woodys is too much sweet. Needs the barley in the woodys, when I take him off he loses condition. Also gets 4 flakes of quality hay and grazes all day on fertilized rye right now.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    12-16-2012, 12:03 PM
  #6
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by deserthorsewoman    
Check out Nutrena Empower Boost. That might come somewhat close.
I checked the Pennfield website, no dealer in my area of Cali, so the info given to you might be true.
That's such a bummer. I knew a lot of people who fed it.
And I'll look into that one, thank you.
     
    12-16-2012, 12:04 PM
  #7
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by verona1016    
Triple Crown Senior has a very similar guaranteed analysis to Fibregized- even has a similar, low NSC. It might be worth seeing if there's a distributor in your area.
I actually think I have seen that one at the feed store. And I've heard a lot of great things about it so I'm going to look into that one too.
     
    12-16-2012, 12:06 PM
  #8
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemom    
I use woodys mixed with another feed. Straight woodys doesn't work on my guys, have to raise the fat. Here's a photo of how my hard keeper looks.

He eats a high fat pellet and woodys 10 2 lbs of each twice a day. Straight woodys is too much sweet. Needs the barley in the woodys, when I take him off he loses condition. Also gets 4 flakes of quality hay and grazes all day on fertilized rye right now.
Posted via Mobile Device
That's what I was leery about. It's VERY high energy.
     
    12-16-2012, 12:08 PM
  #9
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domino13011    
That's such a bummer. I knew a lot of people who fed it.
And I'll look into that one, thank you.

I've found the Nutrena Empower Boost throughout California. It is the Nutrena Empower Balance that is extremely hard to get.
     
    12-16-2012, 12:37 PM
  #10
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhorselady    
I've found the Nutrena Empower Boost throughout California. It is the Nutrena Empower Balance that is extremely hard to get.
Isn't that something.....lots of thin or high performance horses here, one could think
I asked my TSC about the Balance...nope, won't carry it, they would order me a pallet....a years worth....ridiculous, really.
After all the hassle I'll go back to my home-made ration.......IF I can find all raw ingredients, that is
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best grain/feed for weight gain. firelight27 Horse Health 11 03-13-2013 03:18 PM
Can I NOT feed grain if I use a vit/min sup? Brighteyes Horse Nutrition 13 07-28-2012 11:21 PM
Grain how much to feed Rublani Horse Nutrition 3 04-16-2012 06:54 PM
seasons feed (need grain) TbLover Horse Nutrition 2 02-22-2012 11:31 PM
Help needed choosing feed Arizahn Horse Nutrition 4 10-18-2011 12:02 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0