Colt Nutrition Feeding
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health > Horse Nutrition

Colt Nutrition Feeding

This is a discussion on Colt Nutrition Feeding within the Horse Nutrition forums, part of the Horse Health category
  • Feeding colts omolene 300
  • How to feed a colt horse

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    11-29-2013, 11:34 PM
  #1
Yearling
Colt Nutrition Feeding

I'm weaning my six month old colt off mommy tonight. I let him eat a meal with her and then Put him in his little pen to start.
Here's some info on him. He's been eating hay and feed with his dam for a while, and drinking water. He's a fairly large colt, and I feel he's obese. He's got a wide back, but under his wooly coat I can feel a flatness over his withers kind of? I can't tell from looking because of his coat. Anyone know what I should feed him?
He's about....13.1 hh all the horses are being fed 12% sweet mixed and 12% pellet. I have working horses, hence the feed. What should I feed him?
He is eating Costa hay, about two flakes a meal since it's winter.
How much feed should I give him, if he needs to drop weight or is he Okay now?
All help needed on this like guy, I want to keep him big and healthy at the same time!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    11-29-2013, 11:40 PM
  #2
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesthetic    
I'm weaning my six month old colt off mommy tonight. I let him eat a meal with her and then Put him in his little pen to start.
Here's some info on him. He's been eating hay and feed with his dam for a while, and drinking water. He's a fairly large colt, and I feel he's obese. He's got a wide back, but under his wooly coat I can feel a flatness over his withers kind of? I can't tell from looking because of his coat. Anyone know what I should feed him?
He's about....13.1 hh all the horses are being fed 12% sweet mixed and 12% pellet. I have working horses, hence the feed. What should I feed him?
He is eating Costa hay, about two flakes a meal since it's winter.
How much feed should I give him, if he needs to drop weight or is he Okay now?
All help needed on this like guy, I want to keep him big and healthy at the same time!
Got pics? And since he's a 6 month old colt just coming off mom into the harshness of winter, I would not worry about him being too heavy. It won't last long. If he doesn't lose it staying warm, he'll get a growth spurt and start looking gangly and probably ribby before too much longer. That'll go on for the next couple of years. I like to feed mine Purina Ultium Growth until they're 2 years old along with free fed grass hay and fresh water.
     
    11-29-2013, 11:50 PM
  #3
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians    
Got pics? And since he's a 6 month old colt just coming off mom into the harshness of winter, I would not worry about him being too heavy. It won't last long. If he doesn't lose it staying warm, he'll get a growth spurt and start looking gangly and probably ribby before too much longer. That'll go on for the next couple of years. I like to feed mine Purina Ultium Growth until they're 2 years old along with free fed grass hay and fresh water.
I'll post some as soon as I get my laptop. My phone doesn't post pics Well. Alright, I'll take a look at that feed(:
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    12-02-2013, 01:42 PM
  #4
Foal
While a higher protein feed is an inefficient energy source for mature horses, proteins are the building blocks needed for growth. You need the entire program to be in the 15% protein range. Since you will not get there with straight coastal hay and 12% feeds, a protein supplement should be included in the program. Or, You can add some alfalfa for added safe protein. Any one of several protein boosters to up the total would also work. I like the ADM one. Your colt would also benefit from breaking up the high NSC pellets and sweet feed into more meals per day, and not feeding over 2 pounds of feed at a time. This would better fit the digestive system.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    12-04-2013, 08:21 PM
  #5
Foal
My QH stud colt is also six months old and was weaned at 4-5 months. I have had him for two weeks. His momma is a little under 15h and his sire a little more. All are registered. I am feeding him 2 lbs textered Horsemans Edge 12%, decent mixed hay, am & pm in the stall. Plenty of water. He stays in for the nights and pastures all day. We still have some grass. He loves to run and play. I would like to keep him healthy. I will cut him late next summer. (sooner if he gets rowdy) His testicles have dropped. What are your thoughts on this diet? Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg copy3 copy.jpg (93.9 KB, 28 views)
     
    12-04-2013, 08:37 PM
  #6
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindTree    
My QH stud colt is also six months old and was weaned at 4-5 months. I have had him for two weeks. His momma is a little under 15h and his sire a little more. All are registered. I am feeding him 2 lbs textered Horsemans Edge 12%, decent mixed hay, am & pm in the stall. Plenty of water. He stays in for the nights and pastures all day. We still have some grass. He loves to run and play. I would like to keep him healthy. I will cut him late next summer. (sooner if he gets rowdy) His testicles have dropped. What are your thoughts on this diet? Thanks
He looks really good. I wouldn't change anything. We feed our 7 month colt a textured feed from our local mill that is similar to the 10:10 product.

     
    12-04-2013, 11:21 PM
  #7
Trained
Most foal/junior feeds are around 15-16& protein, the Horseman's Edge is around 14%, so not too far off. I prefer a feed that is developed for the young horse though and I feed Ultium Growth, Omolene 300 or Equine Junior to my youngsters until they are 2 years old. Then I switch to Strategy Healthy Edge. They get free choice grass hay & water, plus the concentrate and salt free choice.
     
    12-05-2013, 07:44 PM
  #8
Foal
Thanks for the comments! I did pick up a 50lb sack of Omolene 300 today. Cost more...$17.98 vs $13.50 for the HE 12, but I want to try it anyway. Will mix 50/50 with the HE til its gone and see what happens and how well he likes it and how he behaves. But he aint picky when it comes to feed. I'll leave everything else as is.
     

Tags
colt, feed, obese

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
feeding 2 year old colt aliHall131 Horse Nutrition 1 03-16-2012 09:28 PM
What nutrition ratios does a 6-month-old colt need? beau159 Horse Nutrition 3 01-08-2012 12:56 AM
Previously founded, Senior horse feeding and nutrition... Cocoa Horse Health 8 08-14-2011 07:11 PM
New Colt attacked me at feeding time! Kinglouismummy Horse Training 21 05-27-2011 09:29 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0