Cost Efficient Winter Feeding?... - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health > Horse Nutrition

Cost Efficient Winter Feeding?...

This is a discussion on Cost Efficient Winter Feeding?... within the Horse Nutrition forums, part of the Horse Health category

    Like Tree37Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        08-01-2013, 01:22 PM
      #11
    Weanling
    When I lived in MT, the most common kind of hay was alfalfa because it survives drought well and that area is borderline desert (even in non-drought years). Same may be true in Idaho. However, round bales are also a lot more common, and you can use them for horses if you tarp and feed a little at a time with a pitchfork. They should be cheaper per lb. I remember big bales being around $100/ton, but I think they've gone up. I thought I saw about $150/ton in that area in the hay price thread. I hate feeding rounds, but the math makes sense in your situation. A one ton bale costs say $150, but is equivalent to 40 50lb squares if you're careful about waste. If you paid for the same amount of hay in squares you'd pay $540 at your $13.50/ bale price. (Which is super high, btw. I had alfalfa trucked from Kentucky to Missouri for $10/bale last year). Anyway, lots more work for you, but saves money.
    Corporal likes this.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        08-01-2013, 03:59 PM
      #12
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hybridmustang    
    So I'm at a what if moment here, I start work in August and I am going to put in $50.00 to $150.00 towards alfa alfa hay. The cost of hay so far here is 13.50 a bale im not sure how much im going to get with all that money but the least I can do is try. My worry here is, if I don't get enough hay to last me the winter, how can I make the hay last to keep my horse healthy?. Does anyone have any suggestions that could help me last this winter and make my horse more comfortable during the winter seasons?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hybridmustang    
    So I'm at a what if moment here, I start work in August and I am going to put in $50.00 to $150.00 towards alfa alfa hay. The cost of hay so far here is 13.50 a bale im not sure how much im going to get with all that money but the least I can do is try. My worry here is, if I don't get enough hay to last me the winter, how can I make the hay last to keep my horse healthy?. Does anyone have any suggestions that could help me last this winter and make my horse more comfortable during the winter seasons?
    you know what its people that think they know how much I earn a year that's the reason I was thinking twice about coming on here and getting advice. I have the money im just short since im making payments on my mare until december! So yeah before anyone goes lipping off I get at least 12k a month make sure you know a persons story and reasons for being short on money before you even think about being all prissy and being like "oh sorry you didnt study up on horses. But this this and this blah blah blah" or "if you don't have enough money you shouldnt own a horse". I will only own 1 horse, and that's my limit. Sorry if i'm starting any problems im just sick of coming on here and people being like omg you shouldnt have a horse you shouldnt do this don't do that.

    ill do what I want and if it doesnt work out it doesnt, but the main reason im coming here is for advice since i've never owned a horse in my life. I don't have to tell my lifes story in order for people to get that I can own a horse and be able to pay for all her needs but yet be short a few months. Besides I plan on saving up whatever I have left of money after paying for everything I and my horse need. So if you are one of these people that seem to think that I shouldnt own a horse because im short on money. Please leave this thread and leave me alone because you and your post will be ignored. Have a nice day.
    jmike likes this.
         
        08-01-2013, 04:00 PM
      #13
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Viranh    
    When I lived in MT, the most common kind of hay was alfalfa because it survives drought well and that area is borderline desert (even in non-drought years). Same may be true in Idaho. However, round bales are also a lot more common, and you can use them for horses if you tarp and feed a little at a time with a pitchfork. They should be cheaper per lb. I remember big bales being around $100/ton, but I think they've gone up. I thought I saw about $150/ton in that area in the hay price thread. I hate feeding rounds, but the math makes sense in your situation. A one ton bale costs say $150, but is equivalent to 40 50lb squares if you're careful about waste. If you paid for the same amount of hay in squares you'd pay $540 at your $13.50/ bale price. (Which is super high, btw. I had alfalfa trucked from Kentucky to Missouri for $10/bale last year). Anyway, lots more work for you, but saves money.
    i will definitely have to look into that :) for this year anyways just cause ill be short this winter however would protein pellets help along with supplements?
         
        08-01-2013, 04:09 PM
      #14
    Showing
    I think you made a typo there, OP. Kinda doubtful you make $12,000 a month. Probably more like $1,200 a month before taxes.

    As far as you throwing a hissy fit because people aren't patting and cooing at you for being short on money, horses are expensive. If you can't afford the expense, it's worrisome to those of us who have had horses a long time and know just how expensive they really are. My concerns are for the horse in your care, not your feelings.

    Plus, you can't dictate who may or may not post on a thread. It's a public forum. If you can't take the truth, maybe you shouldn't have started the thread.
         
        08-01-2013, 04:25 PM
      #15
    Trained
    It must be an epidemic, I feel that the forum should apologize for not being able to see the whole story from the facts that are given in the OP.

    Please remember the only info we have is what you supply, and if everyone is getting the wrong info that should tell you something.

    Next, we have no idea how much hay the OP needs, does she have a mini, shire or magikal unicorn? Is said unicorn a pasture puff or a long distance runner, does have Haffy or TB genes, makes a huge difference to a persons hay requirements.
    MsBHavin likes this.
         
        08-01-2013, 04:34 PM
      #16
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hybridmustang    
    So I'm at a what if moment here, I start work in August and I am going to put in $50.00 to $150.00 towards alfa alfa hay. The cost of hay so far here is 13.50 a bale im not sure how much im going to get with all that money but the least I can do is try. My worry here is, if I don't get enough hay to last me the winter, how can I make the hay last to keep my horse healthy?. Does anyone have any suggestions that could help me last this winter and make my horse more comfortable during the winter seasons?
    You are right about us not knowing your situation. No one cares how much you make. If all you can afford for hay is $50 to $150 for hay for the winter, especially at $13.50 per bale, that won't even last a month. Did you mean that is what you'll have to buy hay each month?

    I agree that $12,000 must be a typo or you wouldn't be asking. I make around $3000 each month and buy enough hay for 13 horses. I spend between $650 to $900 each month for hay, depending on whom I get it from.

    If you've never owned a horse, which there are several that come on here, there's a lot more than buying the horse and giving hay as costs. There is the farrier every two months, yearly shots, fencing repairs unless you board them somewhere but they should buy hay, tack and grooming supplies, fly spray and more. How are we suppose to know if you already know this?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Speed Racer and MsBHavin like this.
         
        08-01-2013, 04:36 PM
      #17
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hybridmustang    
    i will definitely have to look into that :) for this year anyways just cause ill be short this winter however would protein pellets help along with supplements?
    depending on what kind of hay you'll get, protein pellets will be too much. Alfalfa hay already is high protein.
    I'd try for grass hay, what kind of bales depends obviously on availability in your area. You shouldn't feed free choice alfalfa, for above mentioned reason, but want free choice during the winter months of lower protein hay.
    Check out this site Slow Feeding Horses on Paddock Paradise Tracks - Paddock Paradise Wiki and consider one of these feeders. They will slow down consumption without starving your horse, keep her occupied and her stomach healthy.
    I weighed everything I fed ans what was left before the next feeding free choice, then made a couple of nets and did the same over the course of two weeks and found that the nets save me about 40% compared to free choice.
    stevenson likes this.
         
        08-01-2013, 04:38 PM
      #18
    Green Broke
    Is that the amount you are putting back each month? Or is that the amount you have to spend on feed each month ? I guess since you are in Idaho they have other types of hay then alfalfa? You don't state if your horse is on a pasture ( means there is grass/ lots of it) or in just a large pen dry lot, or stall ? If all you are feeding is hay , no pasture, depending on the size and density of the alfalfa bale , or grass hay , an average horse gets 10 -15 lbs of forage a meal. Depends on the horse. They need forage for their guts to properly work. If you are going to get a pellet or hay cube, that may work but is More costly. I purchased 44 tons of hay last august, just had to purchase 100 more bales (120lb bales dense hay bale last about 9 days per horse) I started off feeding 18, 3 were euthed, 4 are on pasture since April but still get a small , very small portion of hay per day, which will increase as the weather turns cold and pasture goes dormant.
    Speed Racer and MsBHavin like this.
         
        08-01-2013, 04:41 PM
      #19
    Green Broke
    @ Speed Racer.. I think she is trying to say she doesn't appreciate when people go off saying they make that much money.. and how she shouldn't have a horse if they don't make a huge about of money..
    Cherie likes this.
         
        08-01-2013, 04:43 PM
      #20
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hybridmustang    
    you know what its people that think they know how much I earn a year that's the reason I was thinking twice about coming on here and getting advice. I have the money im just short since im making payments on my mare...
    Wow. You don't even OWN this horse and you don't have the money for the hay.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hybridmustang    
    I'll do what I want and if it doesn't work out it doesn't, but the main reason I'm coming here is for advice since i've never owned a horse in my life.
    Obviously. Most of us researched the costs before we invested in an animal that eats every day.
    Apologies for correcting your typos.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hybridmustang    
    Please leave this thread and leave me alone because you and your post will be ignored.
    Gladly.
    MsBHavin likes this.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Help Winter Feeding! SkylerMarie Horse Talk 2 11-16-2012 01:21 AM
    Winter Feeding OTTB Love Horse Nutrition 14 10-05-2012 01:29 AM
    Winter feeding? toke Horse Nutrition 5 09-28-2012 01:50 PM
    Winter feeding manca Horse Nutrition 4 08-24-2011 05:20 PM
    winter feeding mramsay Horse Health 2 08-27-2010 10:57 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:26 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0