Cracked Corn
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health > Horse Nutrition

Cracked Corn

This is a discussion on Cracked Corn within the Horse Nutrition forums, part of the Horse Health category
  • Cracked corn in horse feed
  • Cracked corn feed nutrition calculator

Like Tree76Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    02-11-2014, 03:51 PM
  #1
Weanling
Cracked Corn

Is it good or bad for horses? The guy I board with feeds his horse cracked corn?
Posted via Mobile Device
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    02-11-2014, 07:16 PM
  #2
Foal
I've always been told not to feed horses corn since it's a "hot feed" and not worth much nutritionally.

Depending on what the BO feeds, if there are other grains mixed in with the corn, the quality of the hay fed, and needs of the horse, you may want to talk to the BO about only feeding your horse hay. If the hay isn't that great, or your horse needs extra feed b/c of special needs or activity level you may look at adding a ration balancer or supplement.

Just my two cents! :)

Edit: sorry - just saw you said "his horse" not your horse! All in all, I wouldn't feed corn if it were me!
     
    02-11-2014, 07:31 PM
  #3
Weanling
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinn    
I've always been told not to feed horses corn since it's a "hot feed" and not worth much nutritionally.

Depending on what the BO feeds, if there are other grains mixed in with the corn, the quality of the hay fed, and needs of the horse, you may want to talk to the BO about only feeding your horse hay. If the hay isn't that great, or your horse needs extra feed b/c of special needs or activity level you may look at adding a ration balancer or supplement.

Just my two cents! :)

Edit: sorry - just saw you said "his horse" not your horse! All in all, I wouldn't feed corn if it were me!
My BO is an older man set in his way.. I pay nothing to board there.. but I feed my own feed not his he suggested it but my horse is underweight so I have her on good diet but he also puts a cap of bleach in his water trough.. I think is bizarre..
     
    02-11-2014, 07:40 PM
  #4
Foal
Bleach?! 8-o

I've never heard of that...wonder what his logic is... How does his horse look / act?

Glad to hear you have your horse on a diet different than his! :)
     
    02-11-2014, 07:51 PM
  #5
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinn    
bleach?! 8-o

I've never heard of that...wonder what his logic is... How does his horse look / act?

Glad to hear you have your horse on a diet different than his! :)
His horse is 22 alittle over weight and calm.. I don't get the bleach he says to help keep it clean.. but that's the water my horse has to drink too...
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    02-11-2014, 07:57 PM
  #6
Foal
Well water I presume?
Chlorine bleach in water acts as a disinfectant.

Cracked corn Isn't the ideal feed for horses. It contains considerable mass of sugar and starch. A limited quantity of most things are acceptable.
Sharpie, stevenson and AFull99 like this.
     
    02-11-2014, 09:11 PM
  #7
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbandita    
Well water I presume?
Chlorine bleach in water acts as a disinfectant.

Cracked corn Isn't the ideal feed for horses. It contains considerable mass of sugar and starch. A limited quantity of most things are acceptable.
Yes it is well water is the bleach okay?????

And about 1/4 of what he feeds his horse is cracked corn.. he swear it helps
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    02-11-2014, 11:14 PM
  #8
Trained
Corn is exceptionally high in starch - modern cereal grains generally are, corn is about the highest. Horses don't digest starch very well and there are health effects from this. Cereal grains generally are also quite hard for the horse to digest well enough in the foregut too(with exception of oats), so if fed, need to be processed, and 'cracked' is not adequate for corn to be digested. Needs to be 'micronised' or such.
smrobs likes this.
     
    02-12-2014, 09:45 AM
  #9
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by loosie    
Corn is exceptionally high in starch - modern cereal grains generally are, corn is about the highest. Horses don't digest starch very well and there are health effects from this. Cereal grains generally are also quite hard for the horse to digest well enough in the foregut too(with exception of oats), so if fed, need to be processed, and 'cracked' is not adequate for corn to be digested. Needs to be 'micronised' or such.
I didn't think corn was good..
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    02-12-2014, 10:03 AM
  #10
Showing
In very cold weather we added about 1/2c of coarse ground corn to their pellets. The horses were in good shape, but I don't know if the corn contributed to that. People carry on like oats are toxic. Oats are higher in protein than hay and when horses actually worked for a living they needed the extra protein to carry them between feedings. This was pretty much the origins of the one hour lunch break, to allow the horses to refuel and rest. Oats are cheap. They have a reputation for making a horse hot headed but there's a direct correlation between quantity fed and being locked up in a stall.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Corn Missy May General Off Topic Discussion 2 07-30-2012 10:22 PM
Corn Cobs??? shaggy Horse Talk 11 07-23-2012 07:08 PM
corn stalks eclipseranch Horse Nutrition 5 07-10-2012 10:09 PM
Corn Oil? JustDoIt Horse Nutrition 13 06-04-2011 04:21 AM
corn oil KANSAS_TWISTER Horse Health 4 06-05-2008 08:12 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0