Which do you prefer: Nutrena or Purina? - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health > Horse Nutrition

Which do you prefer: Nutrena or Purina?

This is a discussion on Which do you prefer: Nutrena or Purina? within the Horse Nutrition forums, part of the Horse Health category
  • Safe choice compete
  • Purina equine senior compared to silver choice horse feed

Like Tree10Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    08-02-2012, 11:35 AM
  #11
Trained
I've used SafeChoice and Strategy GX and the Strategy seems to work best for my horses. They gain/hold/keep their weight better, coats are nicer and they seem to prefer the taste.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    08-02-2012, 11:44 AM
  #12
Yearling
Purina....love their feeds and haven't had a problem with them.
EnduranceLover6 likes this.
     
    08-02-2012, 12:17 PM
  #13
Green Broke
I switched from SafeChoice Compete to Strategy GX a few months ago.
Huge difference. My hard keepers put on weight and I have noticed a big difference in their coats. Both my gray horses look like shiny silver! And I have noticed faster growth in their manes, tails and hooves.

I buy it at TSC and I think the Strategy GX is $1 cheaper a bag than the SafeChoice Compete. Plus if you sign up for Purina Rewards, they send coupons and alert you of any special deals. In July there was a special for if you buy 3 bags the 4th was free.
EnduranceLover6 likes this.
     
    08-02-2012, 12:24 PM
  #14
Weanling
Awesome! Thanks guys. I love that you can give me REAL experiences and differences you have seen. Again, I'm not out to BASH either companies, just want to know which product seems to work best in different situations.
     
    08-02-2012, 12:29 PM
  #15
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by COWCHICK77    
I buy it at TSC and I think the Strategy GX is $1 cheaper a bag than the SafeChoice Compete. Plus if you sign up for Purina Rewards, they send coupons and alert you of any special deals. In July there was a special for if you buy 3 bags the 4th was free.
Your TSC sells the perform???? No fair!
     
    08-02-2012, 12:34 PM
  #16
Green Broke
I will mail some to you Drum.
Unfortunately by the time you pay shipping it will be $80 a bag!
     
    08-02-2012, 12:36 PM
  #17
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduranceLover6    
Just wondering if anyone has experience feeding Nutrena Compete or Purina Strategy GX? I have a horse who is a hard-keeper and is also sensitive to sugar (so no sweet feed) and I'm searching for a good pelleted grain to add to his current ration (beet pulp, alfalfa pellets, vit/min supplement, rice bran).
Out of curiosity, why do you want to add a pelleted grain to his current ration? Beet pulp, alfalfa, rice bran, and a vit/min supplement is a pretty good diet and low in sugar already. Depending on how much you're feeding now, you could likely increase any of those ingredients to get more calories if that's what you need.
     
    08-02-2012, 12:41 PM
  #18
Green Broke
I've used Purina Seniors Feed in the past with great success.

With regard to what makes one feed cheap, I assume it must have something to do with 'filler' ingredients and their quality if the supplements part is the same as the more expensive feeds. What I am thinking, for example, if oats are listed as a component of the feed, perhaps the cheap feed uses lighter weight oats with more hull/chaff. Just a thought. Perhaps some of the other members can substantiate this??
     
    08-02-2012, 12:42 PM
  #19
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by COWCHICK77    
I will mail some to you Drum.
Unfortunately by the time you pay shipping it will be $80 a bag!
My TSC won't order it.. I've even tried three around my area and none will, even with sweet talking and being very charming. Nothing works.
     
    08-02-2012, 12:43 PM
  #20
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by COWCHICK77    
I switched from SafeChoice Compete to Strategy GX a few months ago.
Huge difference. My hard keepers put on weight and I have noticed a big difference in their coats. Both my gray horses look like shiny silver! And I have noticed faster growth in their manes, tails and hooves.

I buy it at TSC and I think the Strategy GX is $1 cheaper a bag than the SafeChoice Compete. Plus if you sign up for Purina Rewards, they send coupons and alert you of any special deals. In July there was a special for if you buy 3 bags the 4th was free.
I need to retract my statement.

I was feeding the Nutrena Life Design Compete, not the Safe Choice Perform. I have not tried the Perform.
Drum, I guess I wont be sending you any to you :( LOL
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Purina Strategy or Nutrena Safe Choice jethroish Horse Nutrition 21 10-15-2013 07:28 AM
Triple Crown Senior Vs Nutrena Life Design Senior Vs Purina Ultium Blondehorselover Horse Nutrition 11 02-13-2012 04:32 PM
Anyone here use/used Nutrena Prime? dee Horse Nutrition 7 01-25-2012 01:16 PM
Purina vs Nutrena farmpony84 Horse Nutrition 100 01-13-2012 02:21 PM
Nutrena Life Design Senior Horse Feed better then purina senior? Rachel1786 Horse Health 29 02-14-2011 05:19 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0