Equidae
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health > Horse Nutrition

Equidae

This is a discussion on Equidae within the Horse Nutrition forums, part of the Horse Health category
  • How much equidae do i feed my horse
  • Is equidae coastal safe for senoir horses

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    10-31-2011, 03:17 AM
  #1
Foal
Equidae

How many of you have heard of this or actually feed it?

We just picked up a few bags today and i've heard great things about it, but wondering if any of you have any experience/stories.. especially the more performance based riders on here.

For those of you who haven't heard of it:

Equidae® Horse Feed - Welcome to Equidae® Horse Feed
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    11-01-2011, 09:11 PM
  #2
Started
Sorry no help here But it looks like a great feed! I love how it has all these different feed in it, hay, beet pulp, oats, rice bran, vitamins, etc. Tell us how it turns out!
     
    11-02-2011, 07:22 PM
  #3
Foal
The part that bothers me is that I can't figure out what category of feed to put it in. Is it a Ration Balancer? One of my wholesalers (I run a feed store) told me it's a "Complete" feed that you feed "two pounds" a day of. Instantly I disagree with that because a complete feed would be fed at TWENTY pounds a day because a COMPLETE feed is all the horse would eat.

From the feed label, it doesn't look like a balancer. Being extruded, I wonder if that is why they sell it in a 40 pound bag instead of a 50...that would drive me crazy having to open that many more bags of feed. :)
     
    11-02-2011, 07:30 PM
  #4
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedWire    
The part that bothers me is that I can't figure out what category of feed to put it in. Is it a Ration Balancer? One of my wholesalers (I run a feed store) told me it's a "Complete" feed that you feed "two pounds" a day of. Instantly I disagree with that because a complete feed would be fed at TWENTY pounds a day because a COMPLETE feed is all the horse would eat.

From the feed label, it doesn't look like a balancer. Being extruded, I wonder if that is why they sell it in a 40 pound bag instead of a 50...that would drive me crazy having to open that many more bags of feed. :)
I just did the feed calculator thing for my horse, coastal plus, and she weighs 900 lbs, and it said to feed 4.50 lbs of their grain, and 9.00 lbs of regular hay, and she is in moderate work. For the alfalfa it said 4.50 lb of grain and 9.00 lb of hay. . . So apparently it is not meant to be feed as a complete feed. It is a GRAIN with some forage provided. They are calling it a extruded grain, which is supposed to make it more digestable.
     
    11-02-2011, 07:34 PM
  #5
Foal
Wow...that's only a total of 13.5 pound of total feed a day. If she were to eat 2% daily, she would need 18.

I'm thinking that company needs to stick to dog food.

(Oh, and when I read the label after the feed rep left, I knew he was on crack for telling me "Two" pounds a day. )
     
    11-02-2011, 10:28 PM
  #6
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedWire    
Wow...that's only a total of 13.5 pound of total feed a day. If she were to eat 2% daily, she would need 18.

I'm thinking that company needs to stick to dog food.

(Oh, and when I read the label after the feed rep left, I knew he was on crack for telling me "Two" pounds a day. )
I have no idea, feed is not my expertise. I was hoping someone could help me. I have heard WONDERFUL things about it.. I know a person who does use it as a complete feed and I know people who just supplement with it. I guess it just depends on your needs?
     
    11-04-2011, 11:04 AM
  #7
Weanling
Okay, this interested me so I sent the following email to Equidae:

Do I need to feed a multi vitamin with Equidae?
> Does it have Biotin and Methionine for hooves? Does it contain probiotics?
>
> Is it a ration balancer?
>
> I am thinking about feeding Equidae, but I want something that is complete nutrition, like a ration balancer that contains all the vitamins and minerals a horse needs daily.

REPLY:
Hello! Thank you for the questions.

> No supplementation (besides a joint/flex) are recommended...it is a balanced ration with all necessary vitamins, minerals, PRE and probiotics,(200,000,000/lb) biotin, zinc, methionine... All included.
> We use only the best sources as well... Chelates not standard minerals. So yes basically it is a ration balancer/grain alternative. It is a forage based feed as well that is safe and healthy for all classes and disciplines.
     
    11-04-2011, 11:12 AM
  #8
Foal
That still doesn't satisfy my answer :-/

Purina will tell you that Strategy doesn't need supplementation-however you have to feed XX amount of pounds as compared to a ration balancer that has the same amount of core nutrients in 1 pound.

Do I think it sounds like a good feed? Sure...however, I don't know the starch level, and I'm not happy having to feed that many pounds of feed...especially if it's not low starch. (Low to me is less than 20%).

Also, the figures given in that feeding calculator above really concerns me.
     
    11-04-2011, 05:52 PM
  #9
Weanling
No, it wasn't that satisfying, but I just wanted to post what I was emailed - I just wanted to know if they considered it a ration balancer or grain or a complete feed. Apparently, it is more like a ration balancer, but more "ration" for the "balance"! It does seem expensive to me as a ration balancer, too. I only pay 22 per 40 lb bag of RB here in upstate SC.

(I only feed 1 lb of Seminole Equalizer mixed with Optizyme top dressing for my Hard Keeper with his hay, beet pulp and rice bran and for my fat pony, we only do SmartPak EZ keeper grass w/Animed Remission top dressing and hay - we don't feed her the Seminole because she doesn't need any extra calories in any form, even a low starch feed like Equalizer).

But that is not to say it is not a good food probably for a horse that does a lot more work than my trail troopers. I only sent the email because I was curious to see what kind of feed it is considered. It just seemed so nebulous on the website.
     
    11-05-2011, 10:23 PM
  #10
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SCHorses    
No, it wasn't that satisfying, but I just wanted to post what I was emailed - I just wanted to know if they considered it a ration balancer or grain or a complete feed. Apparently, it is more like a ration balancer, but more "ration" for the "balance"! It does seem expensive to me as a ration balancer, too. I only pay 22 per 40 lb bag of RB here in upstate SC.

I believe it is a ration balancer- just due to the high protein content, amino acids and the ingredients. It did seem weird that it came in a 40lb pound and not a 50..like the others do- but whatever. The lady at the feed store told me to feed 2.5 lbs...I think im going to stick with 1.5/2 just because...I think that seems more fitting for what it is.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0