Equidae - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health > Horse Nutrition

Equidae

This is a discussion on Equidae within the Horse Nutrition forums, part of the Horse Health category
  • Does equidae horse feed have too much calcium in it?
  • Equidae alfalfa plus or grass

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    11-05-2011, 09:32 PM
  #11
Foal
I'm still confused.

The formulation for alfalfa hay, which is HIGHER in CALCIUM than phosphorous...

Has much higher calcium than phosphorous.

EQUIDAE® Horse Feed - Equidae Alfalfa Plus Horse Feed

The RB made by Buckeye for Alfalfa hay has a phosphorous level of 1.5% (min) and a calcium MAX to be 1.5%, so they are following the rules of the ca/phos ratio.

The equidae coastal, formulated to be fed with grass hays, has a higher phosphorous to calcium ratio...


I think the company needs to sit back and look at other horse feeds so they can provide an apples to apples feed.

Looking at Alfalfa vs. Coastal, it appears to me that Coastal should be fed with Alfalfa hay and Alfalfa fed with Grass hay, but by the names of it, most people won't.

I'm not sold on it even enough to try it on one of my horses at this point.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    11-05-2011, 09:40 PM
  #12
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedWire    

Looking at Alfalfa vs. Coastal, it appears to me that Coastal should be fed with Alfalfa hay and Alfalfa fed with Grass hay, but by the names of it, most people won't.
Like I said, I am not an expert on this subject so I don't totally get where you are coming from with the phosphorus/ca ratios (although I somewhat get it).

We do feed grass hay and he is on the alfalfa mix- that made the most sense to me so I went with that. I didn't see the sense on doubling up on alfalfa or doing grass-coastal. Didn't make sense in my head.
     
    11-05-2011, 09:44 PM
  #13
Foal
A horse needs a healthy calcium/phosphorous ratio-too much phosphorous can lead to nasty bone problems. (In humans, too...stay away from pop if you want to keep your bones full of calcium!).

Calcium should be higher than phosphorous.

Grass has less phosphorous than alfalfa.

Generally, RB's formulated to be fed with grass hay have higher calcium; whereas RB's for Alfalfa hay have less calcium.

Herein lies my issue with equidae (aside from their ridiculous feeding calculator): They label it the way other feed companies do, to lead a person to believe that "Alfalfa" should be fed with Alfalfa hay, and "Coastal" to be fed with grass hay...but when looking at the ca/p, it seems opposite.

How long has your horse been on Equidae? How old is your horse?
     
    11-05-2011, 09:50 PM
  #14
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedWire    
A horse needs a healthy calcium/phosphorous ratio-too much phosphorous can lead to nasty bone problems. (In humans, too...stay away from pop if you want to keep your bones full of calcium!).

Calcium should be higher than phosphorous.

Grass has less phosphorous than alfalfa.

Generally, RB's formulated to be fed with grass hay have higher calcium; whereas RB's for Alfalfa hay have less calcium.

Herein lies my issue with equidae (aside from their ridiculous feeding calculator): They label it the way other feed companies do, to lead a person to believe that "Alfalfa" should be fed with Alfalfa hay, and "Coastal" to be fed with grass hay...but when looking at the ca/p, it seems opposite.

How long has your horse been on Equidae? How old is your horse?

We JUST started, yesterday. It's not mine- its my sisters and he is going to be 16. He is in moderate work, they show hunters occasionally and she rides maybe 3-4 times a week. He's 16.2 and weights about 1100lb.
     
    11-05-2011, 09:54 PM
  #15
Foal
Ok, that makes me feel better :)

Since I don't know enough about equidae yet either, just that I'm not really liking what's jumping out at me, I'm quick to judge.

I will say this though-from what I understand, an inverted ca/p ratio is worse on YOUNG horses that are still growing, which your horse is not.

I'd still want to make sure he's getting close to the right amount...however I'll tell you my brain is shut down for the night-I'd be happy to look at some figures for you when I'm awake :)

Do you remember what the feed people said to talk your sister into trying this stuff?
     
    11-05-2011, 09:58 PM
  #16
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedWire    
Ok, that makes me feel better :)

Since I don't know enough about equidae yet either, just that I'm not really liking what's jumping out at me, I'm quick to judge.

I will say this though-from what I understand, an inverted ca/p ratio is worse on YOUNG horses that are still growing, which your horse is not.

I'd still want to make sure he's getting close to the right amount...however I'll tell you my brain is shut down for the night-I'd be happy to look at some figures for you when I'm awake :)

Do you remember what the feed people said to talk your sister into trying this stuff?
That would be awesome! I would TOTALLY love to learn more about feed and everything but it's hard when no one will explain anything correctly to you!

I don't remember a lot of it, I know she said she wanted something to put weight on- we have tried a lot of other things; equine senior and we did the beat pulp and rice bran. Nothing really helped. So we decided to give this a try.

I would love to see some figures whenever you get the chance!


Im glad I have an easy keeper :)
     

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0