feed to hot for horse?? - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 Old 07-17-2011, 01:00 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,091
• Horses: 0
I would feed her where she wants to be....some horses are just weird that way

I have been called the NSC Nazi more then once ... I hate traditional feed methods of loading our horses up on grains and junk food :)
Peggysue is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 20 Old 07-17-2011, 01:14 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 260
• Horses: 2
If she is on sweet feed it could also be what is making her sweat. you are not supposed to use it in the summer months.
ponyjocky is offline  
post #13 of 20 Old 07-17-2011, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 46
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggysue View Post
I would feed her where she wants to be....some horses are just weird that way
I want her to graze not stand by gate day and night.
Not possible to feed her where she stands as there is not enough room for other 2 horses and we need to get in and out of gate. She is fine eating her feed by the shed but i have to stand there whole time until she is done or she will walk away from it and continue to stand by gate....she is goofy
r0tts0nly is offline  
post #14 of 20 Old 07-17-2011, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 46
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyjocky View Post
If she is on sweet feed it could also be what is making her sweat. you are not supposed to use it in the summer months.
I do not feed sweet feed i feed alfalfa pellets and Purinia Equine 2 times a day. Wish she would just graze and eat hay like other horses she is always worried about something... Which is y some people think she is hard to put weight on as she is always worried and pacey maybe y someone abanded her in my pasture. She always acts as if she is gonna miss something if she doesnt stand there.
r0tts0nly is offline  
post #15 of 20 Old 07-17-2011, 04:40 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 238
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0tts0nly View Post
I do not feed sweet feed i feed alfalfa pellets and Purinia Equine 2 times a day. Wish she would just graze and eat hay like other horses she is always worried about something... Which is y some people think she is hard to put weight on as she is always worried and pacey maybe y someone abanded her in my pasture. She always acts as if she is gonna miss something if she doesnt stand there.
Some horses are worriers, just like some dogs are worriers. It usually is because they are overly attached to people.
tblver is offline  
post #16 of 20 Old 07-17-2011, 08:03 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: southern Mississippi
Posts: 591
• Horses: 4
wow it's like she is waiting for her original owner to come back or something. weird. give her time patience and love. shell come around. My little Arab had had 12 different owners in 12 years and just at the point when i thought she was never gonna bond with me and about to give up and start looking for another home for her, she bonded with me. the neighbors dog ran her through a barb wire fence and i had to take her out and dr her wound 2 times daily and I'd brush her and feed her and finally she started trusting me. now i can do anything with her:) that took about 6 months of constantly reassuring her loving her and letting her know that shes fine everything gonna be OK. shell settle in... even now that i have these other horses she stays by them but not right in the heard she is last horse on the totem pole bottom in the pecking order. but she seems happy to have the other horses around. good luck
WildAcreFarms is offline  
post #17 of 20 Old 07-18-2011, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 46
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAcreFarms View Post
wow it's like she is waiting for her original owner to come back or something. weird. give her time patience and love. shell come around. My little Arab had had 12 different owners in 12 years and just at the point when i thought she was never gonna bond with me and about to give up and start looking for another home for her, she bonded with me. the neighbors dog ran her through a barb wire fence and i had to take her out and dr her wound 2 times daily and I'd brush her and feed her and finally she started trusting me. now i can do anything with her:) that took about 6 months of constantly reassuring her loving her and letting her know that shes fine everything gonna be OK. shell settle in... even now that i have these other horses she stays by them but not right in the heard she is last horse on the totem pole bottom in the pecking order. but she seems happy to have the other horses around. good luck
i dont think she waiting for her old owners i think she likes to b with people and does not know how to b with other horses which is y i think she was stalled and not around other horses she does not forage at all unless i am with her. We are very bonded she rubs all over me and loves too b with me and follows me everywhere more like a dog than a horse. But I need her to put weight on and not sure how too do so. When i give her feed she sweats alot so am worried.
r0tts0nly is offline  
post #18 of 20 Old 07-18-2011, 12:56 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,020
• Horses: 3
I would suggest a weight builder....there are many different kinds on the market.....but we use Cool Calories, it is the only weight supplement that worked on our emaciated OTTB.

But EVERY underweight horse needs to be on probiotics!!!!! I swear by probiotics. When we put our OTTB on them, he started plumping up really fast.....now he's a little too plump. lol.

Probiotics come in many different brand names, like Probios, the most popular one. We use SmartDigest by Smart Pak.....

But your horse SERIOUSLY needs to be on probiotics. Try it, I can guarantee you won't be disappointed.
Beauseant is offline  
post #19 of 20 Old 07-18-2011, 01:32 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: CANADA, Quebec
Posts: 526
• Horses: 0
*off topic* could you please type in proper english i.e use whole sentences and words, and use punctuation, trying to read your paragraphs is making my eyes bleed.....

*back on topic* your horse hasn't bonded with you yet, and maybe she's feeling some sort of seperation anxiety from her previous "herd". Also, I agree with what everyone else noted about changing her hay to better quality and some sort of weight gainer for feed. I heard great things about probiotics as well. Good luck.
Katze is offline  
post #20 of 20 Old 07-18-2011, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 46
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauseant View Post
I would suggest a weight builder....there are many different kinds on the market.....but we use Cool Calories, it is the only weight supplement that worked on our emaciated OTTB.

But EVERY underweight horse needs to be on probiotics!!!!! I swear by probiotics. When we put our OTTB on them, he started plumping up really fast.....now he's a little too plump. lol.

Probiotics come in many different brand names, like Probios, the most popular one. We use SmartDigest by Smart Pak.....

But your horse SERIOUSLY needs to be on probiotics. Try it, I can guarantee you won't be disappointed.
Am looking into both thanks for you help...
r0tts0nly is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
As far as horse feed are Pellets and Sweet feed the main two types of feed? nyg052003 Horse Health 2 07-14-2011 10:25 AM
Horse Feed seven7max Horse Health 2 02-25-2011 03:15 PM
horse feed Queeny Horse Talk 1 10-12-2010 03:01 PM
First Horse - What to feed? boldstart Horse Nutrition 5 08-26-2010 03:47 AM
What does it cost you to feed your horses their HARD feed?? Peggysue Horse Health 10 08-08-2008 12:35 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome