Feeding a Weanling? - Page 3
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health > Horse Nutrition

Feeding a Weanling?

This is a discussion on Feeding a Weanling? within the Horse Nutrition forums, part of the Horse Health category
  • How much does hay cost in texas
  • How much does hay cost per bale? texas

Like Tree13Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    05-09-2012, 03:56 PM
  #21
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayella    
Henny will wear himself out on his own, I don't need to chase him around. I figured when he can't get turn-out, I can let him run in the round pen while I get his feed ready and blah blah blah. Where do you get your hay from Endiku? And how much does it cost per bale? With you living in Texas, you know how crazy the hay prices have been. Also, I actually read that article before I even started making payments on Henny. It's very informative!

Thank you, Sunny! I'll definitely have to look around to compare supplements.
If you want to show him, it will take work.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    05-09-2012, 04:12 PM
  #22
Green Broke
I'm aware it will take work. I was in FFA for four years and spent hours at the barn every day conditioning my goats, pigs, lambs, turkeys, and rabbits. All that work paid off when I won a class, and when I won showmanship. I'm aware it takes work, and I will work with him until he trots with me, walks with me, stands square for me, and looks the best he possibly can.
     
    05-09-2012, 04:42 PM
  #23
mls
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper    
Nope.

A jowl strap is just around the area behind the head and worn most of the time.

A neck sweat is the length of the neck and worn while working the foal to make them sweat under it.

Then leave them stand tied for about an hour sweating.
To a four month old foal? Now that I would consider mean. Foals do not have that kind of attention span. Not to mention soft at the poll and could pull and hurt or kill themselves.
Evansk likes this.
     
    05-09-2012, 05:07 PM
  #24
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayella    
I'm aware it will take work. I was in FFA for four years and spent hours at the barn every day conditioning my goats, pigs, lambs, turkeys, and rabbits. All that work paid off when I won a class, and when I won showmanship. I'm aware it takes work, and I will work with him until he trots with me, walks with me, stands square for me, and looks the best he possibly can.
All a good start.

He has to be fit to show him successfully.
     
    05-09-2012, 05:08 PM
  #25
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by mls    
To a four month old foal? Now that I would consider mean. Foals do not have that kind of attention span. Not to mention soft at the poll and could pull and hurt or kill themselves.
Foals have to be fit to show.

That is what it takes.
     
    05-09-2012, 05:30 PM
  #26
Banned
AQHA: Amateur Weanling Geldings

Take a look at this weaning gelding from last year.

Do you really think this foal was not worked to be that fit???
     
    05-09-2012, 05:37 PM
  #27
Green Broke
That's a top notch halter-bred weanling that will only serve as a halter horse. I'm not that serious about showing my boy as I am mostly doing it for the experience. I don't need to run him into the ground before he is even a year old just to win at a little open show.
Endiku likes this.
     
    05-09-2012, 05:47 PM
  #28
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayella    
That's a top notch halter-bred weanling that will only serve as a halter horse. I'm not that serious about showing my boy as I am mostly doing it for the experience. I don't need to run him into the ground before he is even a year old just to win at a little open show.
That foal will likely be a very good pleasure horse.

Most all of my halter horses where great working horses.
     
    05-09-2012, 05:49 PM
  #29
Teen Forum Moderator
I'm so glad you feel that way Kayella. Going into it with that mindset with his comfort and future in mind is how it should be, even if that isn't how it always is. He's absolutely adorable and I really do see a lovely horse in the making.

Ripper... I'm not going to even begin to go into all of the wrong that I see in weanlings like that. They disgust me, to say the least. That baby doesn't even look like a baby, and it's probably pumped up on steriods and oiled to boot. Looks like it's bordering being lame, too. Its got some crazy stuff going on with those legs even when walking in that short video.

Anyways, little shows like the ones Kayella is talking about don't require sweating and running and steriods and tiny pin-prick feet. Heck, half of the ones I've gone to recently- some people haven't even clipped their horses and still place. I have a feeling that she wants to do this for the fun and experience of it. No need to ruin her horse just to woin a few measly little ribbons.
Gallopingiggles likes this.
     
    05-09-2012, 05:53 PM
  #30
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endiku    
I'm so glad you feel that way Kayella. Going into it with that mindset with his comfort and future in mind is how it should be, even if that isn't how it always is. He's absolutely adorable and I really do see a lovely horse in the making.

Ripper... I'm not going to even begin to go into all of the wrong that I see in weanlings like that. They disgust me, to say the least. That baby doesn't even look like a baby, and it's probably pumped up on steriods and oiled to boot. Looks like it's bordering being lame, too. Its got some crazy stuff going on with those legs even when walking in that short video.

Anyways, little shows like the ones Kayella is talking about don't require sweating and running and steriods and tiny pin-prick feet. Heck, half of the ones I've gone to recently- some people haven't even clipped their horses and still place. I have a feeling that she wants to do this for the fun and experience of it. No need to ruin her horse just to woin a few measly little ribbons.
Many people climb higher mountains.

That foal looks about like mine did and I never used steroids.

Steroids makes their necks thick.......not a good thing.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Opinions on feeding Strategy Professional Formula GX to a weanling LovesMyDunnBoy Horse Health 3 09-28-2011 01:12 PM
Feeding beet pulp pellets? And hay feeding questions... Wallaby Horse Nutrition 2 12-09-2010 07:52 AM
Feeding The Thoroughbred Weanling thoroughbredgirl8949 Horse Health 4 10-25-2010 09:25 AM
Want to buy a weanling kimber769 Horse Talk 16 10-17-2010 07:21 AM
Feeding 3 mth weanling-suggestions wanted dw9501 Horse Health 2 09-15-2009 10:16 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0