He won't eat it. - The Horse Forum

 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 01-13-2012, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 385
• Horses: 2
He won't eat it.

I'm trying to fatten up my paso fino. He's been eating the same grain for over a year. I've had him 2 months and have been buying the same grain. I just bought beet pulp and sand clear to see what can be done for him. I gave him both mixed with his grain last night and he wouldn't eat it. How can I make this more palatable? Molasses?
furbabymum is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 01-13-2012, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 385
• Horses: 2
C'mon people!!
furbabymum is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 01-13-2012, 11:29 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 866
• Horses: 2
Sometimes they can be like that. My gelding LOVES his supplement, but sometimes he just refuses to eat it. I put it with grain, sugar, molasses, and sometimes the little jerk STILL wont eat it.

My fix all? Another horse!

If another horse is threatening their food, even just being held on a lead line 10 feet away, they gobble it down. They are greedy little things, and most horses will eat the grain simply to keep the others from eating it.

Onyx is pastured with a colt. If he refuses to eat his grain, I lead the colt over to it, let the colt have a few nibbles. Then I ask Onyx to eat it again. He always inhales the stuff after that.

** Don't be the rider who gallops all night and never sees the horse that is beneath him **
Lakotababii is offline  
post #4 of 13 Old 01-13-2012, 11:34 AM
Started
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,793
• Horses: 0
BP is one of those things that horses typically turn their noses up for at first. Give him 1 C. Add 2 C water than dump the SC and grain on top. Might take him a week to eat it readily than you can start increasing it. Don't add molasses.
Left Hand Percherons is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 01-13-2012, 11:48 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Hour and a Half from Town!
Posts: 6,324
• Horses: 2
Our COPD pony refused to eat when her meds/supplements were added. I tried soaking it, she'd pick around the thick added areas and leave it. Try no sugar added applesauce. First see if he likes it, then mix 1/2 a cup or more in with the feed. Won't hurt him. I also rolled apples in her meds and she ate those.

You can get a lot further with a ladder than you can with crutches!!
What do you mean what do I mean?
FlyGap is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 01-13-2012, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 385
• Horses: 2
He's very submissive to our mare. He would starve to death before he challenged her. I have to tie her up while he's eating. He won't even come into the barn if she's giving him "the look".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakotababii View Post
Sometimes they can be like that. My gelding LOVES his supplement, but sometimes he just refuses to eat it. I put it with grain, sugar, molasses, and sometimes the little jerk STILL wont eat it.

My fix all? Another horse!

If another horse is threatening their food, even just being held on a lead line 10 feet away, they gobble it down. They are greedy little things, and most horses will eat the grain simply to keep the others from eating it.

Onyx is pastured with a colt. If he refuses to eat his grain, I lead the colt over to it, let the colt have a few nibbles. Then I ask Onyx to eat it again. He always inhales the stuff after that.
furbabymum is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 01-13-2012, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 385
• Horses: 2
I've seen molasses mentioned here before. I happen to have some on hand for cooking so it'd be easy for me. Is there a reason I shouldn't add it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand Percherons View Post
BP is one of those things that horses typically turn their noses up for at first. Give him 1 C. Add 2 C water than dump the SC and grain on top. Might take him a week to eat it readily than you can start increasing it. Don't add molasses.
furbabymum is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 01-13-2012, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 385
• Horses: 2
Thank you. I'll go buy some applesauce and give it a try. He's really rather thin so it was driving me CRAZY that he wouldn't eat it! Also, he usually inhales anything put in front of his face so I was shocked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGap View Post
Our COPD pony refused to eat when her meds/supplements were added. I tried soaking it, she'd pick around the thick added areas and leave it. Try no sugar added applesauce. First see if he likes it, then mix 1/2 a cup or more in with the feed. Won't hurt him. I also rolled apples in her meds and she ate those.
furbabymum is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 01-13-2012, 11:56 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Just south of sanity
Posts: 16,227
• Horses: 3
Human grade molasses is different than animal grade, and costs more. Instead of giving him the human grade, why don't you see if your feed store carries animal grade?

You want the truth? You can't HANDLE the truth!
Speed Racer is online now  
post #10 of 13 Old 01-13-2012, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 385
• Horses: 2
Well, I bought it for one recipe and haven't used it since so I'd actually like to get rid of it. Not if it will hurt him of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Racer View Post
Human grade molasses is different than animal grade, and costs more. Instead of giving him the human grade, why don't you see if your feed store carries animal grade?
furbabymum is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome