HELP! Horse being an idiot during feeding >.< - Page 3
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health > Horse Nutrition

HELP! Horse being an idiot during feeding >.<

This is a discussion on HELP! Horse being an idiot during feeding >.< within the Horse Nutrition forums, part of the Horse Health category
  • Feeding horses 3 qt of half corn half oats twice a day
  • Max e glo fed to yearlings

Like Tree7Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    10-13-2011, 04:39 PM
  #21
Started
When I start splitting up his meals during the day, do I need to do do it gradually?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    10-13-2011, 07:44 PM
  #22
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseychick94    
When I start splitting up his meals during the day, do I need to do do it gradually?
????????????
     
    10-13-2011, 07:53 PM
  #23
Started
I wouldn't worry about doing it gradually to split his meals. I would just go ahead and cut it in half, twice a day.

And for what its worth, my own opinion would be to loose the bran and some of the oats. Oats will not help with weight gain and between the two this is just a lot of un-balanced feed being added. I also did not see that you were feeding any kind of grain? I would get him on a quality low starch senior feed or complete feed and work in 3-6 quarts as well.

Continuing with the "for what its worth" three of my Thoroughbreds are eating 4 cups beet pulp, 4 cups alfalfa, a bit of oats and 3 Quarts of a low starch-high fat Tribute feed. (Split into AM and PM feeding) The fourth Thoroughbred, who is 20, picky, slow eating and hard to keep weight on eats triple this amount and is "hand grazed" as well as on free choice 2nd cut mostly alfalfa hay (his "grain" is fed 3-4 times daily).

You can also try Max E Glo rice bran, works well and a cup of corn oil.
     
    10-13-2011, 08:01 PM
  #24
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by New_image    
I wouldn't worry about doing it gradually to split his meals. I would just go ahead and cut it in half, twice a day.

And for what its worth, my own opinion would be to loose the bran and some of the oats. Oats will not help with weight gain and between the two this is just a lot of un-balanced feed being added. I also did not see that you were feeding any kind of grain? I would get him on a quality low starch senior feed or complete feed and work in 3-6 quarts as well.

Continuing with the "for what its worth" three of my Thoroughbreds are eating 4 cups beet pulp, 4 cups alfalfa, a bit of oats and 3 Quarts of a low starch-high fat Tribute feed. (Split into AM and PM feeding) The fourth Thoroughbred, who is 20, picky, slow eating and hard to keep weight on eats triple this amount and is "hand grazed" as well as on free choice 2nd cut mostly alfalfa hay (his "grain" is fed 3-4 times daily).

You can also try Max E Glo rice bran, works well and a cup of corn oil.
Thanks! He is not on a complete feed because of the soy. Hence me giving the natural feed
     
    10-14-2011, 03:04 AM
  #25
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by New_image    
And for what its worth, my own opinion would be to loose the bran and some of the oats. ....I also did not see that you were feeding any kind of grain?
What do you call oats??
     
    10-14-2011, 03:26 AM
  #26
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by loosie    
What do you call oats??
LOL I think she meant like sweet feed or complete feed pellets.
     
    10-14-2011, 10:01 AM
  #27
Started
I figured someone would have to comment and couldn't just gather the question like apparently the OP whom I was asking could - lack of better words. But Oats do little to put weight on, I was asking if she had him on anything high in fat. I prefer a quality pelleted feed (NO SWEETFEED) but even corn would help in weight vrs. The oats.
     
    10-14-2011, 01:48 PM
  #28
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by New_image    
I figured someone would have to comment and couldn't just gather the question like apparently the OP whom I was asking could - lack of better words. But Oats do little to put weight on, I was asking if she had him on anything high in fat. I prefer a quality pelleted feed (NO SWEETFEED) but even corn would help in weight vrs. The oats.
Doesn't corn have a heating effect and a lot of starch?
caseymyhorserocks likes this.
     
    10-14-2011, 02:57 PM
  #29
Started
...But in lines of weight corn does considerably more than oats was my point. I have from time to time used corn for a few weeks to get weight on. Of course you do not have to use corn, complete feed or any other kind of feed. I simply stated what the five Thoroughbreds here eat or what I've done to get some of the rescues to gain.
     
    10-14-2011, 03:23 PM
  #30
Foal
Blue Seal's Demand put weight on my mare when she needed it. Also, depending on how much exercise he gets, his feed may need to be adjusted to the amount of calories he's burning.
     

Tags
feed, grain, horse, spills, waste

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I am an idiot. Tasia General Off Topic Discussion 7 12-14-2010 02:21 PM
Feeding beet pulp pellets? And hay feeding questions... Wallaby Horse Nutrition 2 12-09-2010 08:52 AM
Will they think im an idiot? dynamite. Horse Shows 4 07-14-2008 12:17 AM
Idiot horse... Lc Performance Horses Horse Pictures 4 05-19-2008 07:25 AM
What an idiot blossom856 Horse Videos 3 01-27-2008 01:29 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0