Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Cariboo, British Columbia
My daughter's horse choked on dry BP. I didn't even know we had that stuff on the place, previous owner of her new horse gave her some, she put the container in the breezeway of the barn instead of the feed freezer, lets the old horse out to graze in the yard & leaves. I come home & find the poor guy foaming from the nose, call her & the vet. I know he's choking, but on what? Vet starts tubing him & knows it's BP right away, by that time my daughter has showed up & says oops forgot about the BP that was given to me for the new horse. We checked, he ate a tub of it. The old boy was perfectly fine the next morning. As the choke victim got older in his years, I did eventually buy him BP but it was soaked overnight & dumped on top of his flake of hay, never choked again. I will occassionally feed soaked BP to my current 2 horses, same way, soaked overnight & spread on top of a hay flake, no chokes. After seeing a horse choke & foam up like that, I would never risk feeding it dry.
Last edited by waresbear; 09-01-2011 at 10:38 PM.