Horse with inability to process protein
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health > Horse Nutrition

Horse with inability to process protein

This is a discussion on Horse with inability to process protein within the Horse Nutrition forums, part of the Horse Health category
  • How does horse process protein?
  • Inability to process proteins

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ~*~anebel~*~

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    01-30-2012, 12:18 PM
  #1
Weanling
Horse with inability to process protein

I have a filly who is 17 months old. She has the inability to process large amounts of protein and it deposits into ther back legs (found this out cause she was eatting alfalfa)

So my questions is what can I feed her to insure she gets everything she needs?

I prefer purina grain (i have switched her over to our local grass hay)


Would I beable to just feed her a ration balancer with her grass hay and she will have everything she needs?

Any ideas would be great.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    01-30-2012, 12:24 PM
  #2
Trained
High fat, low starch is going to be your friend. Beet pulp and stabilized rice bran are good fillers, and adding a mineral supplement to them will be good. If you can find a low protein/starch ration balancer that would also work.

Generally horses need hay, minerals and water. If she is losing weight on the grass hay then I would add in a filler or ration balancer. You should also send in your grass hay for testing as some of it can be high in protein...

Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device
loosie likes this.
     
    01-30-2012, 12:27 PM
  #3
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~    
High fat, low starch is going to be your friend. Beet pulp and stabilized rice bran are good fillers, and adding a mineral supplement to them will be good. If you can find a low protein/starch ration balancer that would also work.

Generally horses need hay, minerals and water. If she is losing weight on the grass hay then I would add in a filler or ration balancer. You should also send in your grass hay for testing as some of it can be high in protein...

Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device


Okay. Thank you very much, my other horses get beet pulp already so that's easy.

Does anyone have a good mineral supplement in mind?
     
    01-30-2012, 01:07 PM
  #4
Started
At 17 months she still needs adequate protein or more specifically lysine so reach her genetic potential. You need to work up her diet on alfalfa then with the change to grass and see where she falls. It migh help you figure out what her threshold is for protein as well. Start by weighing out everthing she puts in her mouth so you know what you're dealing with. Was the alfalfa super dairy quality or horse quality?
     
    01-30-2012, 01:29 PM
  #5
Showing
Rich diets grow them too fast. Stick with the grass hay and let her grow at her natural rate. Genetics will place her where she is supposed to be. I've seen horses remain smallish well into the second year then have a growth spurt. If nature wanted horses to have all these supplements wild grains would be emerge with seeds already developed. No, instead it happens in the Fall as forage growth slows down. If you are concerned about dietary defficiencies, have your hay and later your pasture tested then go from there.
     
    01-30-2012, 01:29 PM
  #6
mls
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by TbLover    
I prefer purina grain (i have switched her over to our local grass hay)
For the health of your horse, I would say your 'preference' doesn't matter. Sometimes we need to make concessions for the sake of our critters.

Research the condition and talk to an equine nutritionist (University or extension service should be able to help). At this age she needs protein to continue developing her muscles. A good nutritionist - with help from your vet - can steer you in the right direction to do everything your filly needs to grow strong.
     
    01-30-2012, 01:30 PM
  #7
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand Percherons    
At 17 months she still needs adequate protein or more specifically lysine so reach her genetic potential. You need to work up her diet on alfalfa then with the change to grass and see where she falls. It migh help you figure out what her threshold is for protein as well. Start by weighing out everthing she puts in her mouth so you know what you're dealing with. Was the alfalfa super dairy quality or horse quality?
Its horse quality 3rd cutting.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    01-30-2012, 03:56 PM
  #8
Green Broke
Ask your vet, theyve examined the horse and would be far more useful with specific answers than we are.
     
    01-30-2012, 10:53 PM
  #9
Started
3rd cutting can mean just about anything but typically, it is the cutting that dairies prefer because it is the best. Highest in protein, Ca and RFV which are important for milk quality and quantity. Protein content can reach as high as 24%+ if growing conditions and harvesting is optimal. Are you cutting it with grass like the other horse? Does she leave white rings where her pee dries on the ground? That's a dead giveaway that it's high octane. You're seeing excess Ca ending up in her urine and that will go hand in hand with the high protein.
     
    01-31-2012, 12:00 AM
  #10
Trained
Hi,

I suspect it's too much protein, &/or other nutrients that are particularly high in your lucerne that is the problem. Horses need proteins, as do the rest of us, but they don't tend to do well on high protein diets. As someone else said, it's also very high in Ca which can upset the phosphorus ratio too, if not fed as part of a well balanced diet.

I would consider 1st cut, stemmiest as the most suitable for horses. Often hay advertised as 'horse quality' means rich, whereas horses tend to do better on 'poorer' more fibrous feed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TbLover    
Does anyone have a good mineral supplement in mind?
It depends on what your horse is getting from her diet as to what may be lacking. I personally think the feedxl.com program/service is great for that sort of question, if you don't want to consult an equine nutritionist directly.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How much protein does a Draft Horse Need? JenTxAg Horse Health 17 07-30-2011 01:23 AM
Fat and Protein in a horse feed? Horsel02 Horse Nutrition 2 01-26-2011 09:23 PM
Training with Archy: its a learning process! wordstoasong Horse Training 0 10-23-2010 11:32 PM
Lien process? Shawneen Horse Law 7 05-25-2009 07:48 PM
The process of buying a horse?? Mica Paprika Horse Riding 1 03-16-2009 11:04 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0