Need to feed as little grain as possible to a performance pony...suggestions? - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health > Horse Nutrition

Need to feed as little grain as possible to a performance pony...suggestions?

This is a discussion on Need to feed as little grain as possible to a performance pony...suggestions? within the Horse Nutrition forums, part of the Horse Health category
  • Feeding locally milled feed to horses
  • Judge who likes obese show horses

Like Tree5Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    04-10-2012, 04:34 AM
  #11
Trained
I'd have a good read into equine nutrition. I wouldn't be inclined to feed horses ANY grain as a general rule & if for some reason I thought it was necessary, I'd only feed it if I could manage little & often meals. There are plenty of healthy, safer alternatives such as alfalfa, beet pulp & rice bran for eg. A good grain free 'ration balancer' or supp should provide the necessary nutritional balance.

While I appreciate it may not be the case with you, show judges often like to see fat horses & award accordingly, so when you say 'OK weight but a little under for your taste', do be aware that many people's 'taste' esp in the show scene because of judge's 'tastes' is unhealthily fat. Obesity & related health issues are epidemic in the horse world, as it is in humans & pet dogs. So you may want to analyse your 'tastes' to be more objective about your horse's weight.

You say the barn feeds reasonable quality hay but you want better. Is it a matter of it being mouldy or such(def not good), or that it's not all rye & clover or such? If the latter, your pony is probably having much healthier hay than those fed on 'top horse hay' which tends to mean ultra rich stuff that can be as good as junk food for many horses.
CLaPorte432 likes this.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    04-10-2012, 08:37 AM
  #12
Green Broke
I like Nutrena compete for those kind of horses.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    04-10-2012, 08:51 AM
  #13
dee
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemom    
I like Nutrena compete for those kind of horses.
Posted via Mobile Device
We switched to Nutrena Compete a couple of months ago. Our entire herd came down with dryland distemper in late fall - what a mess, and they all went into winter in pretty poor condition. I was really getting desparate - we had been feeding a locally milled feed, along with beet pulp and Omega Horseshine - plus decent grass hay 24/7. Wasn't really helping.

Talked to the vet before switching to the Nutrena Compete, and he heartily recommended it for now. We also added Purina Amplify just to bump up the fat content. Horses are gaining weight in leaps and bounds! Once the current bucket of Amplify is gone, we'll stop using that - it was just for a quicker weight boost.

I would most definitely recommend the Nutrena Compete for your girl. It's worked wonders for our horses, and it doesn't make them "hot" at all. However, once they've reached the weight they need to be at, we'll probably switch them to a less potent Nutrena feed - our horses are basically just backyard horses and are only lightly ridden at best...
     
    04-10-2012, 12:03 PM
  #14
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by loosie    
I'd have a good read into equine nutrition. I wouldn't be inclined to feed horses ANY grain as a general rule & if for some reason I thought it was necessary, I'd only feed it if I could manage little & often meals. There are plenty of healthy, safer alternatives such as alfalfa, beet pulp & rice bran for eg. A good grain free 'ration balancer' or supp should provide the necessary nutritional balance.

While I appreciate it may not be the case with you, show judges often like to see fat horses & award accordingly, so when you say 'OK weight but a little under for your taste', do be aware that many people's 'taste' esp in the show scene because of judge's 'tastes' is unhealthily fat. Obesity & related health issues are epidemic in the horse world, as it is in humans & pet dogs. So you may want to analyse your 'tastes' to be more objective about your horse's weight.

You say the barn feeds reasonable quality hay but you want better. Is it a matter of it being mouldy or such(def not good), or that it's not all rye & clover or such? If the latter, your pony is probably having much healthier hay than those fed on 'top horse hay' which tends to mean ultra rich stuff that can be as good as junk food for many horses.
As much as I would like to not feed her grain, for her energy requirements I must.

We show in jumpers, where it is a matter of completing the course of jumps faster than everyone else in the class. I do not show in pony hunters anymore, but she was never overweight for those classes [hunters]. "My taste" for her is that I don't see ribs, but easily feel them. Right now I can see the outline of them, and I just need a few more puonds on her.

As for the hay, right now the horses are on last years supply -.-
Next months shipment will be fresh crop, however!
     
    04-10-2012, 08:43 PM
  #15
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by myponyismywings    
As much as I would like to not feed her grain, for her energy requirements I must.
As mentioned, there are plenty of healthy alternatives for more energy, if that's the only reason you want to feed it. If you decide you want it to be grain for some other reason, ensure you're feeding the ration over at least 3-4 small meals daily, to minimise the risks associated with it.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What do you feed your Performance Horses? BarrelRacingLvr Horse Riding 7 03-10-2012 12:52 PM
seasons feed (need grain) TbLover Horse Nutrition 2 02-22-2012 11:31 PM
4 yr old All-Around Performance Pony Filly NittanyEquestrian Horses for Sale 0 07-31-2011 09:29 AM
horse with potential grain allergy - need suggestions sehrlieb Horse Health 9 01-22-2010 12:04 AM
Looking to cut out grain. suggestions? Audra0729 Horse Health 31 07-03-2009 08:03 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0