Nutrena SafeChoice Special Care
SafeChoice Special Care is a low, controlled starch formula for horses with metabolic concerns such as insulin resistance and it is also recommended for easy keepers or maintenance type horses. It is a maximum of 11% starch which can now be found on the tag below fiber. Horses that are easy keepers or maintenance type horses need less starch in the diet. Horses are sensitive to starch and too much starch per meal can lead to colic, laminitis, and in young, growing horses can increase risk of developmental orthopedic diseases. SafeChoice Special Care is low, controlled starch (max 11%) for needs of horses with metabolic problems or easy keepers whereas SafeChoice Perform for example has controlled starch at higher levels (max 20%)to support moderate to heavy exercise because performance horses need energy in the diet to replace muscle glycogen. All of the SafeChoice products have a balanced energy design - controlled starch and high calorie rich fats from vegatable oils and highly digestible fiber.
Here are reasons to feed SafeChoice Special Care:
* lower, controlled starch to reduce risk of metabolic problems
* balanced vitamins and minerals; even easy keepers and maintenance type horses may not reach vitamin/mineral requirements on hay alone especially poor quality hay
* Organic mineral complexes for improved immune support
* added prebiotics and probiotics to support intestinal microbes that help your horse acheive more efficient absorption of nutrients and digestion
* guaranteed levels of amino acids to support muscle maintenance and development
* delivers consistent nutrients that your horse needs; hay quality changes very often and there are many factors that effect hay quality making it hard to know if your horse is getting the nutrients needed from hay. Feeding SafeChoice Special Care at recommended levels delivers consistent nutrients that your horse needs every day.
Nutrena's Empower Boost is a supplement to grass hay or pasture that is fortified in vitamins and minerals and fed at a rate of 1 lb per day. This product is also great for overweight horses or those very easy keepers that can get by on less grain.
I hope this information is helpful. Thank you to all!
Jolene from Nutrena
Last edited by MHFoundation Quarters; 05-15-2012 at 06:15 PM.