over weight horse
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health > Horse Nutrition

over weight horse

This is a discussion on over weight horse within the Horse Nutrition forums, part of the Horse Health category
  • Over weight horse
  • 150 lbs over weight horse

Like Tree1Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    10-31-2013, 11:33 AM
  #1
Foal
over weight horse

OK I have been trying to read everybody post and figure some things out for my horses diet but I am still a bit confused my horse is a 9 yr old Arabian gelding who is a very easy keeper.I have been able to ride him about three days a week at about an hour or two but he still doesn't lose any weight. He has been on pasture all summer and is now only on hay. My concern is even though he is over weight he is maybe still lacking vitamins in his diet. He also always a a mineral block. Just would like some oppions on what to feed him.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    10-31-2013, 12:18 PM
  #2
Trained
By my own experience with an easy keeper 9 year old Arabian.....he needs to go on a diet or you'll end up with major problems. What kind of hay is he on, and how much?
Grass hay offered in a slowfeeder of any kind would help him, along with a ration balancer or a vit/min supplement, and magnesium. And come summer, either restricting grazing or definitely more work.
     
    10-31-2013, 02:09 PM
  #3
Foal
We make our own hay that is just grass hay. The bales are about 40lbs and he only gets half of a bale a day. I am afraid he is going to end up with a health problem. It is getting easier to ride more since both of my kids are in school now so I could probably get at least one more day of riding. I know I would love it.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    10-31-2013, 02:20 PM
  #4
Trained
I just got a darling mare in who is 13.2 and 1100 lbs. No I am NOT kidding. She is living in a grazing muzzle and gets nothing but grass hay and water. No grain, no vits, no nothing until she drops some weight.



     
    10-31-2013, 04:45 PM
  #5
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvmiller    
We make our own hay that is just grass hay. The bales are about 40lbs and he only gets half of a bale a day. I am afraid he is going to end up with a health problem. It is getting easier to ride more since both of my kids are in school now so I could probably get at least one more day of riding. I know I would love it.
Posted via Mobile Device
weigh your hay portion. To lose weight, you want to be closer to 1.5% of normal bodyweight. The slowfeeder will make him work a little to get his hay, he can pull out only a couple of blades at a time, so it will last longer, even tho it's less overall.
I give my two dieters 6lbs in a slowfeeder net, that lasts about 4 hours. Two horses eating on it. Then another at lunch, and 3 of them for the night. That amounts to 15lbs per horse per 24 hours. Nets are never completely empty, horses still happy.
     
    10-31-2013, 04:47 PM
  #6
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians    
I just got a darling mare in who is 13.2 and 1100 lbs. No I am NOT kidding. She is living in a grazing muzzle and gets nothing but grass hay and water. No grain, no vits, no nothing until she drops some weight.



cutie!!!
I'd give her about 10 grams of magnesium daily. Helps with the cresty neck. Right now she's at high risk for laminitis.
     
    10-31-2013, 06:04 PM
  #7
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by deserthorsewoman    
cutie!!!
I'd give her about 10 grams of magnesium daily. Helps with the cresty neck. Right now she's at high risk for laminitis.
I'll look into the Mg. Her brother has laminitis and is an air fern just like she is. She arrived last Saturday and she's taking off the weight, just with diet change and a grazing muzzle. You can already see that she's a bit lighter. She's still got 300 lbs to go though. I'm hoping we'll get a good cold snap, with no blanket and restricted food, she ought to drop it quick.
     
    10-31-2013, 06:18 PM
  #8
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians    
I'll look into the Mg. Her brother has laminitis and is an air fern just like she is. She arrived last Saturday and she's taking off the weight, just with diet change and a grazing muzzle. You can already see that she's a bit lighter. She's still got 300 lbs to go though. I'm hoping we'll get a good cold snap, with no blanket and restricted food, she ought to drop it quick.
Look into slow feeder net for her hay, too. Keeps her eating little, but steady, to avoid insulin spikes. Better safe than sorry....oh, and cold and little food....you'll be surprised how well this type can hold on to the upholstery lol
     
    10-31-2013, 07:26 PM
  #9
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by deserthorsewoman    
Look into slow feeder net for her hay, too. Keeps her eating little, but steady, to avoid insulin spikes. Better safe than sorry....oh, and cold and little food....you'll be surprised how well this type can hold on to the upholstery lol
The grazing muzzle (I have no way to separate her from the others to use a slow feeder net, so muzzle will have to do), is now permanently affixed to her face. She can eat all day long, just not a whole lot. Hoping that will cut enough calories. She WAS being fed alfalfa and grain, in a group setting, so was getting more than her fair share. Since none of the others was looking like they had missed any meals, I'm saying just all of them were being overfed.

Here are 2 more from the same herd, neither looking particularly ribby:
     
    10-31-2013, 07:34 PM
  #10
Trained
I see. The grass hay and muzzle should already help. Work would be ideal. Is she rideable?
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Not gainin weight, but not losin weight? paintgirl96 Horse Health 23 08-27-2013 01:49 PM
Gain weight, loose weight or is fine? Charley horse Horse Conformation Critique 27 04-25-2013 04:38 PM
Under weight horse Sinatwist Horse Health 6 06-25-2012 07:35 PM
WHAT WEIGHT SHOULD MY HORSE BE? Eventer Gal Horse Health 13 06-18-2007 10:48 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0