Purina vs Nutrena - Page 5
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health > Horse Nutrition

Purina vs Nutrena

This is a discussion on Purina vs Nutrena within the Horse Nutrition forums, part of the Horse Health category
  • Kent sbp 12-10 price
  • Triple crown feeds and purina feeds

Like Tree10Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    07-27-2011, 10:23 PM
  #41
Green Broke
Peggy Sue,

I'm curious as to what you would think a good diet for a borderline insulin resistant horse would be in lieu of the standard low starch feeds.. a friend has one and I wonder if there might be a better option..
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    07-27-2011, 10:41 PM
  #42
Weanling
If any of you have a blue seal nearby, they make the triple crown products under a different name. The senior is now called SBP 14-10, and the complete is SBP 12-10. Two of my horses are now on the 14-10 and thrive on it...there really is no difference except the name.
     
    07-28-2011, 03:47 AM
  #43
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druydess    
Peggy Sue,

I'm curious as to what you would think a good diet for a borderline insulin resistant horse would be in lieu of the standard low starch feeds.. a friend has one and I wonder if there might be a better option..
my broarderline IR horse is on Kent's Topline32 well soaked and rinsed hay with Remission to assist it ...

Ideally testing all feed stuff is what you want to do but I KNOW that is not possible for all of us I would be testing 3 different hay cuttings from three differnt places so 9 test in all not feasible. So I balance the best I can and keep a close eye on her weight and condidtion. On top of being boarderline IR my mare is also COPD so double the fun
     
    07-28-2011, 09:41 AM
  #44
Foal
PeggySue - I am basing my opinions about Purina on 12 years of experience working for the company and your perception is your perception and I can respect that. I am not going to change your mind but I do want others out there to know the truth about what I have seen, which is a company like none other. Purina is the leader in the industry since 1894 because of the products and the people behind the products.

As for feeding WellSolve to IR horses, I have seen it work wonders. If anyone is interested check out the research abstract about this product. This product is entirely GRAIN FREE and in the research that was done, horses that ate it had a plasma insulin response comparable to a horse at fasting. Interesting stuff.
     
    07-28-2011, 09:58 AM
  #45
Started
Those looking into it need to also go to the Yahoo Cushings group and see what private testing showed on that feed and many other Purina feeds

So Holly basically all the livestock feed violations and such mean nothing even though Purina is always getting citations and such there. No biggie because the company is good at advertising and sweeping stuff under the rug and hiding it from consumers.

I am not doubting they do alot of research just wondering why most of their feeds are still grain based and least cost effective?
     
    07-28-2011, 10:33 AM
  #46
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly F    
PeggySue - I am basing my opinions about Purina on 12 years of experience working for the company and your perception is your perception and I can respect that. I am not going to change your mind but I do want others out there to know the truth about what I have seen, which is a company like none other. Purina is the leader in the industry since 1894 because of the products and the people behind the products.

As for feeding WellSolve to IR horses, I have seen it work wonders. If anyone is interested check out the research abstract about this product. This product is entirely GRAIN FREE and in the research that was done, horses that ate it had a plasma insulin response comparable to a horse at fasting. Interesting stuff.
First I want to say that I REALLY respect your loyalty to your employer and your strong belief in their product, elst you probably would be employed somewhere else.

I said that to say when my 23 yr old was formally diagnosed with Equine Metabolic Syndrome in May, 2007 (that's not quite the same things as insulin resistance), the WellSolve line was not quite ready to be introduced to the public.

With the help of two equine nutritionists, a diet was developed and thankfully was spot-on. Even though I took Purina off my Christmas lists a long time ago, I still waited for the WellSolve to be introduced.

I think it was 12 - 18 months later, I was able to get the WellSolve L/S at the local Purina Dealer. I rushed to the store and started transitioning my EMS horse immediately.

Within a few days I thought he acted "off" - you know, the kind of "off" you can't put your finger on, but know something's amiss because you've owned this horse since he was a coming three year old.

Still, I gave the WellSolve "25 pounds worth of try" and it failed miserably. I took the remaining 25 lbs back to the store and they grudingly refunded my money for the whole bag - I didn't ask for the whole bag, just to pro-rate it.

Soooo, I call your company and guess what I discovered? The WellSolve L/S had a combined iron amount of over 800 ppm. That was out of the mouth of a Purina marketing rep. Others called Purina and were told the same thing, so it wasn't just me making something up or mis-interpretting what I was told.

The is about quadruple what a normal healthy horse should have, then when the iron in the grass and hay are factored in, my horse was in toxic overload. Especially since I already know that my pastures and hay are pretty high in iron because I've had them tested.

Metabolic horses do NOT need iron added to their diet because it inhibits copper and zinc, which are needed not only for the immune system in healthy horses, but to stabilize insulin in metabolic horses.

I tip my hat in a huge way to Purina's R&D Lab but some big horrible disparity happens from the time R&D says "it's a go", to the time the product hits production and the marketeers get involved.

If I thought I didn't want Purina products 10 years ago, I KNEW I didn't ever want them again after the WellSolve L/S fiasco.

I hate that your R&D is so enthusiastic and does their very best and then it all goes to s**t when things hit the production line.

Consistency in the G/A is a big deal too. I know folks with enough money that they send stuff out for analysis just for kicks and then report back to us poor ole middle class folks that are trying to do the best we can for our horses and sometimes get duped.

Please feel free to copy/paste this in an e-mail to your superiors. If they want personal conversation, I'd love that too. You can PM me for my e-mail address and phone number.

Thanks for listening
     
    07-28-2011, 10:49 AM
  #47
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten_Val    
Blue Seal! Both TSC in my area carry it.
I so wish my Tractor Supply sold Blue Seal.
     
    07-28-2011, 11:05 AM
  #48
Super Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScharmLily    
If any of you have a blue seal nearby, they make the triple crown products under a different name. The senior is now called SBP 14-10, and the complete is SBP 12-10. Two of my horses are now on the 14-10 and thrive on it...there really is no difference except the name.
What is that like? As far as chew-ability?
     
    07-28-2011, 03:10 PM
  #49
Trained
I have always found Purina products to be excellent; however, they are extremely expensive compared to the local feed mill products. The locally produced feed is good, fresh, consistant, and adequate. I just don't see that there is enough difference to merit the expense of buying Purina products. If the guaranteed analysis is comparable, then the feed is comparable in my experience. I will send a sample of feed to the Georgia Department of Agriculture if I ever have any doubt. If Purina is the best feed available in your area for the money, then I would say use it.
     
    07-30-2011, 01:41 AM
  #50
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggysue    
my broarderline IR horse is on Kent's Topline32 well soaked and rinsed hay with Remission to assist it ...

Ideally testing all feed stuff is what you want to do but I KNOW that is not possible for all of us I would be testing 3 different hay cuttings from three differnt places so 9 test in all not feasible. So I balance the best I can and keep a close eye on her weight and condidtion. On top of being boarderline IR my mare is also COPD so double the fun
I don't believe we have Kents here.. Is there something else comparable?

Thanks for the info!
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Purina Strategy or Nutrena Safe Choice jethroish Horse Nutrition 21 10-15-2013 08:28 AM
Nutrena Safe Choice... exp35post912 Horse Health 19 11-06-2012 06:07 PM
Nutrena Empower Boost.. worth it? laken316 Horse Nutrition 19 06-17-2011 04:01 PM
Nutrena Empower Boost.. worth it? laken316 Horse Health 1 06-15-2011 08:21 AM
Nutrena Life Design Senior Horse Feed better then purina senior? Rachel1786 Horse Health 29 02-14-2011 06:19 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0