Purina vs Nutrena - Page 6
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health > Horse Nutrition

Purina vs Nutrena

This is a discussion on Purina vs Nutrena within the Horse Nutrition forums, part of the Horse Health category
  • Nutrena safe choice vs dumor senior
  • Purina vs dumor horse feed

Like Tree10Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    07-30-2011, 01:08 AM
  #51
Banned
Smile :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmpony84    
I was using Triple Crown products but my supplier has gone out of business. I started using a gentlemen down the road (ADM is his product) and I'm not liking it very much. Boothe feeds has gone out of business so that leaves tractor supply. I called them and they cary nutrena, purina, and dumar I think. Leaning towards Nutrena.

Thoughts/suggestions please?


I use both Nutrena and Purina feeds. I have always and will always feed SafeChoice by Nutrena! It is my fav feed and IMO the BEST FEED EVER MADE!!! But I also really love feeding my runners Omolene products by Purina with the SafeChoice. Both I have found to be very good feed products and although I did look at some triple crown products due to the fact a local feed store carries it and I would not have to drive 30-40 miles to the nearest tractor supply store I found that my mare would not eat the feeds I tried by triple crown, she is a very picky eater and I have never had an issue with her eating the SafeChoice or any of the Omolene line. Also as far as dumor products go, I have not used their feed but I love their Dumor Treats Oatmeal Rasin Cookies are the BEST! And I have used a few of their supplements and have been impressed.
Good luck, I hope you fall in love with these products as much as I have :) God Bless Tractor Supply! :)
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    07-30-2011, 09:27 AM
  #52
Green Broke
"As for feeding WellSolve to IR horses, I have seen it work wonders. If anyone is interested check out the research abstract about this product. This product is entirely GRAIN FREE and in the research that was done, horses that ate it had a plasma insulin response comparable to a horse at fasting. Interesting stuff."

"I am not doubting they do alot of research just wondering why most of their feeds are still grain based and least cost effective?"

Call me stupid, but why would you pay for non-grain out of a bag?

Hay = $100/ton
Cheap grain or sweet feed = $400/ton

The bulk of my horses's diet comes from grass and hay.
The exception to this is very old guys and growing babies.
My horses are athletic, shiny, energetic, healthy, and happy.
Did I miss something?
     
    07-30-2011, 05:15 PM
  #53
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeste    
"As for feeding WellSolve to IR horses, I have seen it work wonders. If anyone is interested check out the research abstract about this product. This product is entirely GRAIN FREE and in the research that was done, horses that ate it had a plasma insulin response comparable to a horse at fasting. Interesting stuff."

"I am not doubting they do alot of research just wondering why most of their feeds are still grain based and least cost effective?"

Call me stupid, but why would you pay for non-grain out of a bag?

Hay = $100/ton
Cheap grain or sweet feed = $400/ton

The bulk of my horses's diet comes from grass and hay.
The exception to this is very old guys and growing babies.
My horses are athletic, shiny, energetic, healthy, and happy.
Did I miss something?
Your comment that "---WellSolve is completely GRAIN FREE and you've seen it work wonders---" is completely contradictory to your comment
Quote:
"Call me stupid, but why would you pay for non-grain out of a bag"
You pay for non-grain out of bag when you are dealing with insulin resistance, equine metabolic syndrome, and cushings. EPM is another disease that the horse should not have grain. I'm sure there are other diseases that aren't coming to mind at the moment.

Yes, you did miss something regarding WellSolve if you didn't read my post #46 referencing my own horse's experience with WellSolve L/S.

I think I was very fair in the assessment, even if I did have to re-type what I said five times in order to stay civil to Purina and its loyal followers

A total combined iron content of more than 800 PPM (in the feed bag) is unacceptable for any horse with metabolic issues. Yes I can sit here and say it was that excessive amount of iron that caused my horse to be "off" but I didn't have tests run on him so, even though that is my strong suspicion, it is purely speculation.

What was NOT speculation was the fact that he was back to his old self within a few days of getting off that feed.

I went back to mixing my own supplements for him and to this day his coming 24 self is carrying on like he's 12

I don't care if 99.9% of the world's horse population feeds Purina and they are happy with it. I wasn't happy with Purina for a long time previous to WellSolve then, after what I saw with my senior metabolic horse when I put him on the WellSolve, I was even less happy.

My metabolic horses get physicals that include blood work annually. As long the vet continues to say "keep doing what you're doing", I will and that won't include Purina. Which might possibly put me in the .1% that thinks some of their products have a lot room for improvement and all of them need continual watchdogging for consistency in the "guaranteed analysis" department; they do seem to repeatedly fall short in that area
     
    07-30-2011, 05:28 PM
  #54
Green Broke
I don't feed Purina because it is overpriced. I have used it and find it to be good if fed in moderation.
I feed my horses organically grown, high fiber, grain free, low sugar, fat free feed.
Grass.
     
    07-30-2011, 05:50 PM
  #55
Green Broke
I guess I am being misunderstood here.
If a horse doesn't need grain, it just seems that it is not economical to feed roughage from a bag. Hay and grass work well as a roughage source for me.
If your horse is doing great, by all means, keep up what you are doing. I am very glad that mine are not so expensive to keep up.
     
    07-30-2011, 05:52 PM
  #56
Green Broke
Ok, this is still bugging me.
Can you post the ingredients and analysis?
Maybe I am missing something.
     
    07-30-2011, 06:03 PM
  #57
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeste    
I am very glad that mine are not so expensive to keep up.
You have no idea how expensive caring for metabolic horses can be. My 23 yr old costs twice what the 12 yr old cost. Cross your fingers you never have to deal with it.

There's a lot more feeding of hay involved than pasture. I have four horses on 22 lush acres yet I had to buy "a bale of hay a day" because of the two metabolic horses.

They go out with grazing muzzles nine months out of the year because our actual freezing part of winter isn't that long.

The only compensation to them not being able to eat all that grass is that they cover the entire acreage every day, giving them a lot more natural exercise than I could provide them at the end of a lead rope or under a saddle.

It can get really frustrating trying to figure it all out
     
    08-01-2011, 03:39 PM
  #58
Foal
Just a couple quick comments:

WellSolve - I called Purina and it does not have 800ppm added to it, no where near that amount but if tested it will test higher because a lot of the fibrous ingredients (like beet pulp) contain iron. Like I said before fiber sources of ingredients are NOT very digestible to the horse so the fact that it is in there does not mean that it is available to the horse.

Cost - As a previous equine specialist I spent a lot of time helping my customers evaluate the cost of their feeding program and want to encourage everyone of you to calculate your cost by cost/horse/day and not the cost of the 50lb bag of feed no matter what you are feeding. The cost of the bag is all relative to how much of it you are having to feed and if you are having to supplement it.
     
    08-02-2011, 08:14 AM
  #59
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly F    
Just a couple quick comments:

WellSolve - I called Purina and it does not have 800ppm added to it, no where near that amount but if tested it will test higher because a lot of the fibrous ingredients (like beet pulp) contain iron. Like I said before fiber sources of ingredients are NOT very digestible to the horse so the fact that it is in there does not mean that it is available to the horse.

Cost - As a previous equine specialist I spent a lot of time helping my customers evaluate the cost of their feeding program and want to encourage everyone of you to calculate your cost by cost/horse/day and not the cost of the 50lb bag of feed no matter what you are feeding. The cost of the bag is all relative to how much of it you are having to feed and if you are having to supplement it.

She never said they ADDED the iron just that it was not needed to be added to a horse's diet especially a EMS one

Purina cost more then other feeds so you might watch telling people that if you want them to continue feeding it LOL
     
    08-02-2011, 08:17 AM
  #60
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druydess    
I don't believe we have Kents here.. Is there something else comparable?

Thanks for the info!

Tribute's Essential K
Seminole's Equalizer
Purina's Enrich32
Progressive's Pro Advantage Grass Formula
Buckeye's Gro N Win
Triple Crown's 30% Supplement
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Purina Strategy or Nutrena Safe Choice jethroish Horse Nutrition 21 10-15-2013 07:28 AM
Nutrena Safe Choice... exp35post912 Horse Health 19 11-06-2012 05:07 PM
Nutrena Empower Boost.. worth it? laken316 Horse Nutrition 19 06-17-2011 03:01 PM
Nutrena Empower Boost.. worth it? laken316 Horse Health 1 06-15-2011 07:21 AM
Nutrena Life Design Senior Horse Feed better then purina senior? Rachel1786 Horse Health 29 02-14-2011 05:19 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0