Putting weight on very under weight thoroughbred mare - The Horse Forum

 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 01-29-2014, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 729
• Horses: 1
Putting weight on very under weight thoroughbred mare

I have a 13 year old thoroughbred mare I.just took in she's probably about 300 pounds under weight.. they had her on very cheap low grade feed called wrangler 12% pellet only getting 3 quarts once a day

I still have her on that but 4 quarts twice a day till I get better idea on what to switch her (so I'm not continuously switching her) she has assess to hay ALL DAY and water I have Dewormed her once last week

So what should my plan be to get her up to weight and should I Deworm her again soon?
Posted via Mobile Device
kimberlyrae1993 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 Old 01-29-2014, 10:15 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: State of Jefferson
Posts: 67
• Horses: 2
My favorite thing for putting weight on a horse is beet pulp, added to their other regular ration. It seems to be easy to digest and really puts weight on -- whatever their problem is (teeth, age, metabolism, etc.). It is safe for every horse, and cheap. Have her teeth been checked? If you take her to the vet and have the teeth checked, they could check for parasite level at the same time. That would give you a better picture of when to worm again. If her teeth are bad, she may not be getting the benefit from her hay that she should. Also, make sure she is getting a vitamin and mineral supplement. If you can't get her to the vet right away, start the beet pulp anyway. I would feed it soaked with the regular pellets she is used to. I used to give my old mare a coffee can(before soaking) each day. It was the only thing that kept weight on her.
BlueSpark likes this.
Slave2Ponies is offline  
post #3 of 19 Old 01-29-2014, 11:03 PM
Teen Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: South East Texas
Posts: 7,157
• Horses: 2
Hay, hay, hay, and more hay. Good quality grass hay as much as she'll eat. I'd give her at least 25 lbs a day to choose from. And if you can, alfalfa hay (a flake or so) or alfalfa pellets (4-5 lbs) is the way to go. I'd slowly wean her off of what she's eating right now.

After she's been on the hay for a while you can either switch her to a new feel (senior feed maybe) and or add beet pulp, rice bran, or oils (be careful with these)

Everyone in your life is meant to
be in your journey, but not all of
them are meant to stay till the end.
Endiku is offline  
post #4 of 19 Old 01-31-2014, 08:29 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 5,036
• Horses: 0
Do you have a Tractor Supply in your area? They have a Dumor feed on sale right now, sorry I cannot remember the name, but in a pretty blue bag. Either that or the Equistages that they have are decent feeds for the money.

Your horse could probably use more fat and a little less fiber in her feed.

Get her teeth done ASAP.

Nancy
greentree is offline  
post #5 of 19 Old 01-31-2014, 09:51 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Coastal Maine
Posts: 695
• Horses: 1
Where are you located? If you are in New England, my first recommendation would be Poulin Grain's E-Tec. If you're not, do you have Blue Seal feeds available in your area? Blue Seal has a Lifetime formula in a gray bag that I also really like.

Other than grain, I would say beet pulp also. I can't say it enough times. Beet pulp is fantastic for putting on weight, keeping on weight, its great for digestion and horses like it.

Have her teeth checked as soon as possible, and until you have that done, adding beet pulp will help, as will soaking her grain. In the event it IS her teeth, it will make eating a lot easier and it will help with the breakdown of the grain if her teeth aren't doing the job well. If it's not her teeth, no big deal. When you get the okay on her teeth- stop soaking her grain.

That's what I would do anyway.

Chances are she will start to put on weight anyway since you will be caring for her properly.
Strawberry4Me is offline  
post #6 of 19 Old 01-31-2014, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 729
• Horses: 1
Her teeth are good they have been done she's not dropping feed she eats all of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slave2Ponies View Post
My favorite thing for putting weight on a horse is beet pulp, added to their other regular ration. It seems to be easy to digest and really puts weight on -- whatever their problem is (teeth, age, metabolism, etc.). It is safe for every horse, and cheap. Have her teeth been checked? If you take her to the vet and have the teeth checked, they could check for parasite level at the same time. That would give you a better picture of when to worm again. If her teeth are bad, she may not be getting the benefit from her hay that she should. Also, make sure she is getting a vitamin and mineral supplement. If you can't get her to the vet right away, start the beet pulp anyway. I would feed it soaked with the regular pellets she is used to. I used to give my old mare a coffee can(before soaking) each day. It was the only thing that kept weight on her.
Posted via Mobile Device
kimberlyrae1993 is offline  
post #7 of 19 Old 01-31-2014, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 729
• Horses: 1
She is on LOTS OF HAY!!!! She has a good quality round bale that's sheltered and out of weather she can get to
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endiku View Post
Hay, hay, hay, and more hay. Good quality grass hay as much as she'll eat. I'd give her at least 25 lbs a day to choose from. And if you can, alfalfa hay (a flake or so) or alfalfa pellets (4-5 lbs) is the way to go. I'd slowly wean her off of what she's eating right now.

After she's been on the hay for a while you can either switch her to a new feel (senior feed maybe) and or add beet pulp, rice bran, or oils (be careful with these)
Posted via Mobile Device
Endiku likes this.
kimberlyrae1993 is offline  
post #8 of 19 Old 01-31-2014, 10:17 AM
Teen Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: South East Texas
Posts: 7,157
• Horses: 2
Perfect!

I wouldn't buy Dumor feeds personally. Most of their feeds seem to be of the molasses-filled type. Their supplement is decent, but not the best I've seen.

Do you have access to any senior feeds, such as Triple Crown or Nutrena?

Everyone in your life is meant to
be in your journey, but not all of
them are meant to stay till the end.
Endiku is offline  
post #9 of 19 Old 01-31-2014, 10:20 AM
Foal
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NW Arkansas
Posts: 97
• Horses: 1
Subbing - I'm going through a similar situation right now as well. Makes it so much harder when it's in the dead of winter as well.

Booo.
thatkrayz is offline  
post #10 of 19 Old 01-31-2014, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 729
• Horses: 1
Yes my feed store cares triple crown and nutrena as well as Purina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endiku View Post
Perfect!

I wouldn't buy Dumor feeds personally. Most of their feeds seem to be of the molasses-filled type. Their supplement is decent, but not the best I've seen.

Do you have access to any senior feeds, such as Triple Crown or Nutrena?
Posted via Mobile Device
kimberlyrae1993 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Putting weight on my barrel mare jarndt Horse Health 7 12-06-2013 05:44 PM
help putting on weight! LaYuqwam111 Horse Health 2 12-07-2012 12:53 AM
Needs help putting on weight aly429 Horse Nutrition 13 02-22-2012 08:46 PM
Putting on weight? Supermane Horse Nutrition 25 04-26-2010 09:36 AM
weaing an putting weight on mare JJ RANCH Horse Health 1 03-03-2008 10:45 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome