Simple Suppliment Routine for different horses... - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health > Horse Nutrition

Simple Suppliment Routine for different horses...

This is a discussion on Simple Suppliment Routine for different horses... within the Horse Nutrition forums, part of the Horse Health category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        01-13-2011, 09:49 PM
      #11
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by luvs2ride1979    
    This is how I feed my horses. They get just some chopped alfalfa hay with flax and a vit/min supplement. My hard working guys get some alfalfa pellets and I have two that need some "umph" that also get some plain whole oats. I, personally, do not like to feed any grain or horse feed. Ingredients like corn, wheat middlings, grain sweepings, grain byproducts, molasses, etc. are all just fillers and can even have negative effects on a horse's health (if you feed more than a cup ).
    You just contridicted yourself.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        01-13-2011, 09:50 PM
      #12
    Green Broke
    The only RB available in many areas is Purina Enrich, and I will not recommend any Purina products. None of the feed stores within 100 miles of me carry or will order any ration balancer feeds, other than Purina. A lot of people on this board live in rural or semi-rural areas with the same issue. A vitamin supplement is much easier to order online.

    Also, the OP asked specifically for advice on supplements, not changes in her horses feed/diet. It's best to try to stay on topic.

    I also don't appreciate you picking apart my post. I am not the OP. State your own opinions based on the OP's questions. It's rude to single out another that has replied and counter nearly everything they suggested... I've been on this board a long time. Don't be rude.
         
        01-13-2011, 09:52 PM
      #13
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Streakin    
    You just contridicted yourself.
    No, I did not. I feed oats. Do you see oats listed in my "bad for horses" list? No, they are not. Oats can be great for horses that need extra energy. They are high in carbs that are metabolised in to natural sugars. For a horse that needs the extra energy, they are a good "whole grain." Most horse "grain" is something like sweet feed, COB, or a textured feed that has grains in it.
         
        01-13-2011, 09:53 PM
      #14
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by luvs2ride1979    
    The only RB available in many areas is Purina Enrich, and I will not recommend any Purina products. None of the feed stores within 100 miles of me carry or will order any ration balancer feeds, other than Purina. A lot of people on this board live in rural or semi-rural areas with the same issue. A vitamin supplement is much easier to order online.

    Also, the OP asked specifically for advice on supplements, not changes in her horses feed/diet. It's best to try to stay on topic.

    I also don't appreciate you picking apart my post. I am not the OP. State your own opinions based on the OP's questions. It's rude to single out another that has replied and counter nearly everything they suggested... I've been on this board a long time. Don't be rude.
    Enrich is the best Purina product, though I agree about Purina not being the best feed.

    She's replying to you, not picking you apart ;)

    Can't handle a different point of view?
         
        01-13-2011, 09:55 PM
      #15
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by luvs2ride1979    
    No, I did not. I feed oats. Do you see oats listed in my "bad for horses" list? No, they are not. Oats can be great for horses that need extra energy. They are high in carbs that are metabolised in to natural sugars. For a horse that needs the extra energy, they are good "whole grain." Most horse "grain" is something sweet feed or a textured feed that has grains in it.
    What does your list have to do with anything? You said you don't feed grains, and oats is technically a grain.

    Oats are just pointless carbs. Fat is what gives horses energy. Oats are just empty carbs with no real nutritional value.
         
        01-13-2011, 09:58 PM
      #16
    Green Broke
    Ugh, yes I can handle a different point of view, but the way forums work is that you reply to the ORIGINAL POSTER with your opinions/advice. Instead of doing that (her first post was not helpful at all, it was arguably rude to the OP), she just started right up with me. That is poor etiquette. I come on this forum because it's one of the few that I enjoy. There aren't snarky rude people on here, generally. I enjoy sharing my opinion and helping give people information. I do not enjoy being nit-picked.
         
        01-13-2011, 10:00 PM
      #17
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Streakin    
    What does your list have to do with anything? You said you don't feed grains, and oats is technically a grain.

    Oats are just pointless carbs. Fat is what gives horses energy. Oats are just empty carbs with no real nutritional value.
    You said I contradicted myself. If you read the WHOLE POST you would see that I did not.

    You obviously don't know much about nutrition.
         
        01-13-2011, 10:01 PM
      #18
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by luvs2ride1979    
    Ugh, yes I can handle a different point of view, but the way forums work is that you reply to the ORIGINAL POSTER with your opinions/advice. Instead of doing that (her first post was not helpful at all, it was arguably rude to the OP), she just started right up with me. That is poor etiquette. I come on this forum because it's one of the few that I enjoy. There aren't snarky rude people on here, generally. I enjoy sharing my opinion and helping give people information. I do not enjoy being nit-picked.
    Im aware of how forums work. This isnt my first rodeo.

    Someone else had a different opinion on what you said. Its called an evolving discussion ;)
         
        01-13-2011, 10:03 PM
      #19
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by luvs2ride1979    
    You said I contradicted myself. If you read the WHOLE POST you would see that I did not.

    You obviously don't know much about nutrition.
    Whos being rude now. Difference is, I can take it.

    So you know that I don't know alot about nutrition off of one post? Wow.

    I know enough to know that oats ARE a grain Lol.

    My horses have a carefully planned and balanced diet.
         
        01-13-2011, 10:09 PM
      #20
    Weanling
    Luvs2ride: First of all, it was not my intention to be rude or snarky and I don't feel any of my posts were. I agreed with a lot of what you said, and I disagree with some of what you said. I was not picking apart your post. I was simply adding my opinions to some of what you said. There is no need to feel offended or think I was being rude.

    As far as staying on track, well I feel I am very on track. People need education in equine nutrition. I do not know it all, but b/c of other very knowledgeable ppl that I am in contact with, I know more than the average joe and I feel it is my responsibility to share that with others.

    Although Purina is not my first recommendation of feeds, Enrich 32 IS a good product. Actually, it is Purinas BEST product and it is very similar to my Buckeye RB.

    I am here to learn and to teach others what I have learned. I'm sorry that you felt I was being ride and had no ettiquette, but this is an open forum and the quote button in there for a reason.
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Whats your horses routine? SallyRC123 Horse Training 9 12-16-2010 01:39 PM
    Share your horses workout routine. phoenix Horse Training 6 09-13-2010 11:20 PM
    For those with horses at home, whats your routine? LetAGrlShowU Horse Talk 7 08-27-2010 04:31 PM
    Hoof Suppliment Suggestions LJohnson Horse Nutrition 12 08-11-2010 12:56 PM
    Hauling 2 horses in a "simple" 4 h stock trailer justice Horse Talk 3 05-28-2008 08:50 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:39 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0