Storing Feed
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health > Horse Nutrition

Storing Feed

This is a discussion on Storing Feed within the Horse Nutrition forums, part of the Horse Health category
  • Cob corn oats barley shelf life
  • Molasses cobb horse feed shelf life

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By OneFastHorse

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    01-21-2013, 10:24 PM
  #1
Foal
Storing Feed

Hey guys! Me again.

Someone had recently told me that oats and barley need to be - how to I put this - "freezered!?" (kept in a freezer) It that true or can I just keep it in a metal trash can?

Also someone else told me that oats make horses "hot" or "high strung" Is that true? My Paint, King has been acting excited but I think that's because I just moved him to a new barn.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    01-21-2013, 10:33 PM
  #2
Started
We keep ours in a trash can. But are looking for a freezer (dang scrapers are too fast lol) just so you know putting feed in a freezer isn't to freeze it. Broken freezers are good for storage as they are mouse proof and keep the feed dry. Also free (usually) and hold a lot of feed.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    01-21-2013, 10:37 PM
  #3
Green Broke
Freezers make fabulous storage containers, but a good metal trash can is also quite serviceable. Some have particularly determined varmints that manage to overcome the trash can (freezers are more varmint proof) or need to store higher volumes of feed (freezer has much higher volume).
Grains certainly can add to a horse's energy level.
     
    01-21-2013, 11:28 PM
  #4
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArabLover1999    
Hey guys! Me again.

Someone had recently told me that oats and barley need to be - how to I put this - "freezered!?" (kept in a freezer) It that true or can I just keep it in a metal trash can?

Also someone else told me that oats make horses "hot" or "high strung" Is that true? My Paint, King has been acting excited but I think that's because I just moved him to a new barn.
I have always kept my feed in a garbage can with a lid in my barn.

Only 1-2lbs of oats turn my lazy, laid back mare into a fire breathing dragon.

Oats are very high (50%+) in NSC (starch+sugar). I HAVE fed them for extra calories, but I prefer other low NSC products such as alfalfa pellets or rice bran instead of oats. High NSC diets have been proven to have negative long term effects on horses and their digestive systems such as ulcers, hindgut acidosis, founder, laminitis, IR, obesity, excess energy, etc. Cereal grains (corn, oats, barley, etc) have been proven to be unhealthy for horses.
themacpack likes this.
     
    01-23-2013, 12:22 AM
  #5
Trained
I don't know about barley, but I have found oats to be one of the best grains to store w respect to shelf life so long as they are kept in an air tight container. I keep a separate container of oats for my daughter's rabbit which doesn't eat much, and it will keep for over a year.

Oats don't, IMO, tend to get a horse as hot as cob or other "3 ways". They should never be fed a lot of oats at one time or I imagine they would get pretty high.
     
    01-23-2013, 12:29 AM
  #6
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy May    
I don't know about barley, but I have found oats to be one of the best grains to store w respect to shelf life so long as they are kept in an air tight container. I keep a separate container of oats for my daughter's rabbit which doesn't eat much, and it will keep for over a year.

Oats don't, IMO, tend to get a horse as hot as cob or other "3 ways". They should never be fed a lot of oats at one time or I imagine they would get pretty high.
Corn is even higher in NSC than oats I believe. I think corn is the worst for a horse.. health wise.
     
    01-23-2013, 02:16 PM
  #7
Green Broke
COB = corn oats and barley. Both corn and barley are higher NSC than oats, so it would make sense that cob would make a horse more hyper than just plain oats

As for oats making a horse hyper, where do you think the expression "feeling one's oats" came from?
     
    01-23-2013, 02:26 PM
  #8
Yearling
The newest research says that horses shouldn't have any grain inthere diet. Just thought I would let you all know.. But ya I use to just keep it dry and in a barrel.
     
    01-23-2013, 02:42 PM
  #9
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted    
The newest research says that horses shouldn't have any grain inthere diet. Just thought I would let you all know.. But ya I use to just keep it dry and in a barrel.
They shouldn't have any CEREAL grains. Every feed on the market is not a "grain."
     
    01-23-2013, 07:10 PM
  #10
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by verona1016    
COB = corn oats and barley. Both corn and barley are higher NSC than oats, so it would make sense that cob would make a horse more hyper than just plain oats

As for oats making a horse hyper, where do you think the expression "feeling one's oats" came from?

Yes, side by side one can expect a horse to get a bit higher on cob. I don't think cob is as "evil' as it is made out to be ... everything has its place and the poison is in the dose. I use to feed cob in the winter when I lived in cold country. I never noticed any "hyper"' response, but I never fed to much, either. I have no use for it now, but...prepackaged (as opposed to custom milled) is loaded w molasses and its shelf life is supper short. I personally like plaine barley for a here and there "throw it in the mix", but I cannot find it here in small quantities.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Storing Round Bales Sophie19 Farm Forum 1 06-01-2012 04:11 PM
Storing 2 saddles, one on top of the other - will it harm them? foreveramber Horse Tack and Equipment 6 05-24-2012 09:50 AM
storing rugs Prinella Barn Maintenance 11 05-09-2012 09:39 PM
Storing Tall Boots kathryn Horse Tack and Equipment 2 12-01-2011 06:54 PM
Storing saddle w/o rack twh Horse Tack and Equipment 10 11-19-2011 08:12 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0