supplements
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health > Horse Nutrition

supplements

This is a discussion on supplements within the Horse Nutrition forums, part of the Horse Health category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        01-20-2011, 07:23 PM
      #1
    Foal
    Question supplements

    Hi I am new to horses I have just gotten a 22 yr. What kind of supplements schedule does he need to be on. He takes msm he is currently eating small amount of equine senior purnia mixed with beet pulp and all the hay he can eat.thanks
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        01-21-2011, 02:55 PM
      #2
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Laddy    
    hi I am new to horses I have just gotten a 22 yr. What kind of supplements schedule does he need to be on. He takes msm he is currently eating small amount of equine senior purnia mixed with beet pulp and all the hay he can eat.thanks
    He shouldnt need anything other than a joint supplement if he is receiving the correct nutrition. If you arent feeding him the recommended amout of feed that the bag lists, then his nutritional needs are not being met. Is he an easy keeper or does he lose weight easily? How are his teeth? Def keep him on free choice hay. If he keeps his weight easily and doesnt require large amounts of calories, then a ration balancer would be perfect for him.

    I would throw the Purina Sr feed in the trash can and go with a quality feed. The only horse feed from Purina that's worth a dang is their Ration balancer (Enrich 12 and 32).
         
        01-25-2011, 02:35 PM
      #3
    Weanling
    I will second the ration balancer recommendation. My horse is 20 and gets a ration balancer made by Buckeye called Gro N' Win. It's designed to be fed as a complement to forage (either pasture or hay). It's nice because you don't have to feed as large an amount as you have to feed of a senior feed. In the wintertime he also gets 1-2lbs/day of whole oats to help him keep a healthy weight. He does great!

    BUCKEYE® Nutrition is the website for Buckeye.
         
        01-25-2011, 04:56 PM
      #4
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RebeccaMI    
    I will second the ration balancer recommendation. My horse is 20 and gets a ration balancer made by Buckeye called Gro N' Win. It's designed to be fed as a complement to forage (either pasture or hay). It's nice because you don't have to feed as large an amount as you have to feed of a senior feed. In the wintertime he also gets 1-2lbs/day of whole oats to help him keep a healthy weight. He does great!

    BUCKEYE® Nutrition is the website for Buckeye.
    Mine are on GnW as well, but I use alfalfa pellets to add calories instead of oats.
         
        01-25-2011, 05:05 PM
      #5
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OneFastHorse    
    Mine are on GnW as well, but I use alfalfa pellets to add calories instead of oats.
    Great stuff, isn't it? :)
         
        01-25-2011, 05:10 PM
      #6
    Weanling
    OP, how are your horse's joints? At 22 he might benefit from a joint supplement like OneFastHorse said. There's a dizzying array of products available, and unfortunately what works well for one horse doesn't necessarily work as well for another. You may need to try a few brands to see what works better for your horse. In general, cheaper products are using ingredients that aren't as high-quality and are not as bio-available. This is one case where you really do get what you pay for. According to two different vets I've asked about joint supplements, you should make sure that the one you're giving to your horse contains glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM, and hyaluronic acid (HA). Some people will say that a supplement needs to contain at least 10,000mg of glucosamine to be effective, but you can do your own research on that particular subject.
         
        01-26-2011, 05:12 PM
      #7
    Foal
    Thanks for all of your help he takes msm I am changing his food all I could get in my area is enrich 32 by purnia so he gets that and beet pulp shreds I am slowing removing purnia senior. I don't really know how much beet pulp to feed. Get all the hay he wants
         
        01-28-2011, 11:54 AM
      #8
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Laddy    
    thanks for all of your help he takes msm I am changing his food all I could get in my area is enrich 32 by purnia so he gets that and beet pulp shreds I am slowing removing purnia senior. I don't really know how much beet pulp to feed. Get all the hay he wants
    you'd be fine adding up to 5lbs of beet pulp (split into at least 2 feedings of course) if you need to, but unless the horse is a hard keeper, you shouldnt need more than a couple lbs .
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Supplements? equestrian Horse Nutrition 4 12-22-2010 01:58 AM
    supplements socks Horse Health 3 11-23-2010 06:42 PM
    Supplements Holly2010 Horse Health 0 07-09-2010 08:58 AM
    supplements???? mysugarap Horse Health 11 12-04-2009 03:25 PM
    Best Supplements? barrelracer1029 Horse Health 11 09-25-2008 06:40 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:59 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0