No, no, and no.
Originally Posted by CowboyGirl
Someone offered us round bales of sweet clover, and I was wondering if I can feed it to my horse as I have heard that you can't because it thins their blood or something. Can anyone clear this up/answer this for me?
Feeding grass hay with a small amount of clover mixed in is one thing but solid clover hay is cow hay - unless you want to run the risk of killing the horse.
Also, if clover hay isn't properly cured it develops mold that is toxic and deadly to a horse. Cows have two stomachs to process all that garbage, horses have one stomach and even at that, their digestive system has got to be the worst and most sensitive on earth.
Please read this university article. http://pdf.profitproag.com/Database/...to%20Avoid.pdf
Where it says in part:
| Sweet Clover can not only cause digestive upset, but have life threatening consequences as well. It contains coumarins, substances related to the prescription blood-thinner warfarin. |
| According to South Dakota State University Range Specialist Roger Gates and McPherson County Extension Education Lanette Butler, "Sweet clover contains the compound coumarin, which is converted to dicoumarol if moldy. Dicoumarol interferes with blood clotting and excessive bleeding may result in livestock including horses. This is known as sweet clover bleeding disease. |
"Mold can colonize the stem of sweet clover and even if you do not see it, it may still be present. Mold can also multiply if the stem is damaged."
| From the Merck Veterinary Manual: 2 |
"Sweet clover poisoning, an insidious hemorrhagic disease, is seen in animals that consume toxic quantities of spoiled sweet clover ( Melilotus officinalis and Malba ) hay or silage.
"During the process of spoiling, the harmless natural coumarins in sweet clover are converted to toxic dicumarol. Any method of hay storage that allows molding of sweet clover promotes the likelihood of formation of dicumarol in the hay. Weathered, large round bales, particularly the outer portions, usually contain the highest levels of dicumarol. When toxic hay or silage is consumed, hypoprothrombinemia results,