What is your oppinion on this feed/hay?
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health > Horse Nutrition

What is your oppinion on this feed/hay?

This is a discussion on What is your oppinion on this feed/hay? within the Horse Nutrition forums, part of the Horse Health category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        05-11-2010, 05:45 PM
      #1
    Green Broke
    What is your oppinion on this feed/hay?

    I'm looking into diffrent feeds, forage, and supplaments for sona and I came across hey. So what do you think? Any advice is welcome!

    Lucerne Farms - Quality forage feeds, Seminole Feeds, Mainly Mulch.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        05-11-2010, 06:21 PM
      #2
    Green Broke
    Just bumpen it up!
         
        05-11-2010, 09:31 PM
      #3
    Green Broke
    No one? Really?
         
        05-12-2010, 08:51 AM
      #4
    Weanling
    1. Wish I owned the company.
    2. The product is for all practical purposes a good product.
    3. The product works good in "box stores" like TSC because it is sealed and "clean" way to sell hay.
    4. The product is probably very consistant
    5. The product is a very expensive way to get forage to your animal
         
        05-12-2010, 11:53 AM
      #5
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Production Acres    
    1. Wish I owned the company.
    2. The product is for all practical purposes a good product.
    3. The product works good in "box stores" like TSC because it is sealed and "clean" way to sell hay.
    4. The product is probably very consistant
    5. The product is a very expensive way to get forage to your animal
    Do you know the prices on this? Because I don't know. I was going to go to my feed store and ask. Thank you for your reply.
         
        05-13-2010, 09:34 AM
      #6
    Weanling
    Southern States quoted $836/ton for Hi Fiber Gold.
    You should be able to get a nice grass or alfalfa type hay for $400-600/ton retail in the ocala area.

    I would not consider myself an eco tree hugger wrapped around Al Gores leg(far from it actually); however, putting 30# of forage in a bag and consuming an entire bag every two days is a lot of plastic consumption per horse. It is not responsible!
         
        05-13-2010, 09:36 AM
      #7
    mls
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Production Acres    
    I would not consider myself an eco tree hugger wrapped around Al Gores leg(far from it actually); however, putting 30# of forage in a bag and consuming an entire bag every two days is a lot of plastic consumption per horse. It is not responsible!
    I agree!
         
        05-14-2010, 01:33 PM
      #8
    Green Broke
    Yeah I think Im just going to stick with baled hay.
         
        05-14-2010, 03:51 PM
      #9
    Showing
    I think it is a decent idea for someone with a very high level performance horse just so they know exactly what the horse is getting and it is guaranteed to be the exact same every time. However, many horses don't need the extra sugar provided by even 'low sugar' molasses. I thoroughly believe that many people overfeed their horse for it's needs and that results in founder and colic and insulin resistance and any number of other health problems. I think you should feed the feed that will keep them healthy and nutritionally balanced but without all the sugars and preservatives. We have been feeding alfalfa hay for more than 40 years (supplemented by sweet feed for the show horses back in the day). Been feeding strictly alfalfa for about 15 years with some occasional grass hay thrown in there and all our horses are fat and healthy. We've never had a problem with founder or colic since we stopped feeding sweet feed and our horses are living well.

    On another note, this nearly caused me to crap and fall in it.
    Quote:
    You should be able to get a nice grass or alfalfa type hay for $400-600/ton retail in the ocala area.
    It makes me happy to live where I do. I just got a load of really high quality alfalfa for about $140 a ton.
         
        05-15-2010, 11:03 PM
      #10
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smrobs    
    I think it is a decent idea for someone with a very high level performance horse just so they know exactly what the horse is getting and it is guaranteed to be the exact same every time. However, many horses don't need the extra sugar provided by even 'low sugar' molasses. I thoroughly believe that many people overfeed their horse for it's needs and that results in founder and colic and insulin resistance and any number of other health problems. I think you should feed the feed that will keep them healthy and nutritionally balanced but without all the sugars and preservatives. We have been feeding alfalfa hay for more than 40 years (supplemented by sweet feed for the show horses back in the day). Been feeding strictly alfalfa for about 15 years with some occasional grass hay thrown in there and all our horses are fat and healthy. We've never had a problem with founder or colic since we stopped feeding sweet feed and our horses are living well.

    On another note, this nearly caused me to crap and fall in it.


    It makes me happy to live where I do. I just got a load of really high quality alfalfa for about $140 a ton.
    Yeah tahts what I thought. I'm just looken at all my options. And I don't think hay costs that much around here? I'm moving to a new barn and I have to supply hay now. I just want to find whats best for her.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Feed equineangel91 Horse Health 27 01-04-2010 05:26 PM
    Whats your oppinion on twitches. Thatgirlsacowboy Horse Training 59 09-12-2009 11:24 AM
    Help feed the horses who lost their feed in the PNW horsesandponies Horse Health 1 01-14-2009 12:04 AM
    What does it cost you to feed your horses their HARD feed?? Peggysue Horse Health 10 08-08-2008 11:35 AM
    Feed Horse_Chick Horse Health 1 06-08-2008 06:38 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:34 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0