Welp I'm sad to say that with a change of plans, I will not be purchasing my own horse this year. Turns out, the hospital will give me volunteer time (originally they said no, and now it's yes and just grr) and my medical school plans need to come before my hobby right now. :( With work and volunteering and school, as well as working with the BO's horses, I won't have time for my own this year, so unfortunately Spot (the gelding I'd chosen to purchase) will have to find somebody new to love on him and I'll have to wait. (The BO's horses are essentially a second job: I get free board and hay in exchange if I do have a horse, but I won't have the time an OTTB needs and deserves) I enjoy working with the BO's horses and it's a great situation, so I'm willing to wait. I still have 'my' horses, even if they're not really mine. Except I think our bay colt and bay roan are being sold this summer (a man approached BO and asked to purchase them), the ponies are going on lease again, and I believe Chase is going to a friend's to be cart broken. This leaves me with just Steppy and... well keep reading.
On the happy side, I still have a project :) BO appears to be purchasing this 'stud' this weekend (he's losing his jewels right away). Names??? He's three and was 'started' but his training has been sketchy and unreliable. Basically he leads and has had a person walk around on him. He's a huge sweetheart, and not very big. Some where between 13-14hh (hasn't been measured).
So for the next year, he's my project. I plan on taking him back to the basics and fixing any basic handling holes (grooming, hooves, leading, etc.) and getting him on the lunge working nicely. If all works out well, I may get one or two rides on him before January xD