*WARNING* GRAPHIC* pasture to plate video - Page 7
   

       The Horse Forum > Horse Resources > Horse Protection

*WARNING* GRAPHIC* pasture to plate video

This is a discussion on *WARNING* GRAPHIC* pasture to plate video within the Horse Protection forums, part of the Horse Resources category
  • Human meat warning too graphic
  • 2013 EU regulations for horse meat

Like Tree97Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    12-10-2011, 01:02 AM
  #61
Started
I am sure they do, just like when you load a dead deer or elk on a horse.They flare up, snort and get all big eyed cause they smell blood and a dead animal. BUT, they don't think" oh my, I am probably next.". They smell blood, they smell fear, but don't think like we do as to what is next...
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    12-16-2011, 06:24 PM
  #62
Foal
Unhappy

I couldn't watch passed the draft horse after it had been shot twice. That was just horrible. If those slaughter house people we're educated in how to shoot the horse RIGHT, that wouldn't have happened. Then when he said to that horse who neighed "I love you too" I about jumped through the computer screen.

I am for slaughter and every time I say it I cringe. But the fact is we need it. People over breed and continue to breed horses that are not worth breeding at all. Therefore we get horses no one wants and there in lies slaughter houses.

If people were educated in breeding and humane slaughter, we wouldn't be seeing videos like that.
     
    12-30-2011, 11:58 AM
  #63
Green Broke
This is why I left this place.....

Okay firstly, in 2013 EU regulations will not allow any horse over the age of six months that does not have a FULL and complete medical history to be slaughtered. We are sending toxic horse meat that can cause serious illness in children, pregnant mothers and people with compromised immune systems. We slaughter horses that have been treated with MANY substances that are banned for horses intended for slaughter. The same reason why we stopped using horse meat in dog food in the 70s. Why even take that risk?

So in 2013 all the over bred Quarter Horses and Thoroughbreds... etc will not be eligible. What does this mean? Has anyone else noticed that we've had a shortage of hay? Why? Because we are shipping our hay over to Asia in the empty containers that they send their stuff over on. The pro-slaughter groups plan to start breeding slaughter specific horses, partly because they think there will be some huge market for it here even though the majority of Americans would not eat it, which will mean that we will require more hay to feed these animals that shouldn't be here as Americans don't raise their animals for meat. Which will make hay more expensive (even though the price has doubled where I am) and raise the prices on milk, beef and have a reverse effect on the neglect cases. Which is one of the things pro-slaughter claim is a reason we need horse slaughter. Which... is kind of odd because we still have the slaughter option.. it has not went away. I'm wondering if everyone has come to realize yet that the majority of abandoned horse cases are rejected slaughter horses? It cost less for a shipper to set free the horses that don't make the cut than it does to take them back and feed them. They bring cattle back on the trucks as well so they don't have room for them. So they set them free where they starve to death. Over 5,000 horses didn't make into the Mexican borders and in Texas there have been just slightly above that in cases of abandoned horses. I'm not saying it doesn't happen in private homes, I'm just saying that you've got to look at the consequences of horse slaughter.

Then you've got to think to yourself..do you really want that in your city? The last two plants had continuous drainage problems, the by-products attracted wild animals into the city, it brought down the value of surrounding homes and invited criminals and illegals to come work for them. Not something I want near me.

I've seen a few..what's the difference and cows and swine and chickens... Well I've solved that problem for myself. I do NOT eat factory farmed meat. In fact I've been pretty much turned off meat for awhile. I get my meat from a source that individually slaughters their animals as the French video posted. I know the meat is chemical free, I've seen how the animals are treated and how they die. I do NOT believe in factory farming, period. Call me a bleeding heart radical... call me what you want.. if I am then I am.

To the people who say that if this is all that happened in the six days they had the video I'd urge you to view the full report on the ones that were not shown in the video. And I'd love to inform you that the slaughter house in this video is a TEMPLE GRANDIN APPROVED slaughter house! I'd like to tell you that each factory run slaughter house has a failure rate of around 15%. Which means that that percentage of animals is allowed to be inhumanely slaughtered. Allowed to be alive on the bleed out line, allowed to bolted in the head a dozen times, allowed to break a leg in the process, allowed to have foals cut from their bellies. And that is IF they follow procedure! If not...well than more than 15%, or roughly more than 6,000 horses, aren't killed humanely. And I'm sorry... that is not a number I'm okay with. I'm sure that the euthanasia process has far less of a failure rate, especially if you have a vet who knows how to do it right.

Let's go back to the 2013 EU thing. Horse slaughter is a bandaid that holds back the fact that certain people don't think beyond the fact that we are human, therefore we are a superior race and rule all, it is a dumping ground for irresponsibility. Once that bandaid is no longer available to the recreational horse world, due to drug related issues, then we will have to find a solution.

Me? I'm going to continue to fight for the horses. I'll continue to put down factory farming. I'll continue to remind people that we are only temporary guests on this planet (and no I'm NOT religious). We should live how we want, speak up for what we believe in, but be willing to consider the other side. Factory Farmed Slaughter is NOT humane. It's just not. They don't have enough time to individually make certain that each animal is humanely killed. And in the end they stope caring because they want to go to lunch, because they are ready for the day to be over with. They haven't seen that animal born, they haven't raised it from day one.

That's all I have to say and I will say no more. Some people, like Kevinshorses, are so full of your self zealous ideas that you can't see the bigger picture. And in the end that will come to bite some of you in the rear.
Taffy Clayton likes this.
     
    12-30-2011, 12:04 PM
  #64
Banned
Quote:
We are sending toxic horse meat that can cause serious illness in children, pregnant mothers and people with compromised immune systems.
Name ONE verified case of someone getting sick from said "toxic horse meat."

Quote:
The same reason why we stopped using horse meat in dog food in the 70s.
Yet they still feed this exact same "compromised" meat to valuable and endangered big cats in zoos all over the world.

Quote:
Has anyone else noticed that we've had a shortage of hay? Why? Because we are shipping our hay over to Asia in the empty containers that they send their stuff over on.
I think the whole "drought" thing may have had something to do with it, as well....

Quote:
The pro-slaughter groups plan to start breeding slaughter specific horses
Who, exactly, is planning on doing this?
     
    12-30-2011, 12:22 PM
  #65
Banned
It could be worse, look up how chickens, pigs, and cows a slaughtered.
I am not saying that I enjoy watching this, but I am SO SICK of hearing about horse slaughter, find a new topic to talk about.
     
    12-30-2011, 12:30 PM
  #66
Started
Yes, I agree.. Topic after topic, thread after thread about horse slaughter. Its going to happen folks, no doubt about it. You can feel its needed, (which I do feel it is needed) or you can hate the thought and feel sorry for the horses.
If you are rich enough to never have to worry about keeping your horses for their entire lifetime, have enough land to bury the horses when they die or when you have to put them down for injury or illness. You can not eat any meat, you can eat meat.
It is all personal preference and to keep posting to reopen threads is silly. A thread about slaughter will die for weeks, then somebody will bring it up again and it starts over. Everybody has a right to their opinion.
Shutupjoe:If you only eat stuff killed by people you know and raised the way you want it to be raised, or raised yourself, that's great. But, to say
Some people, like Kevinshorses, are so full of your self zealous ideas that you can't see the bigger picture. And in the end that will come to bite some of you in the rear. is wrong and being pretty self zealous and idealistic yourself. YOU feel horse slaughter is wrong, YOU feel that others ideas are not seeing the bigger picture. Maybe us "self zealous" folks feel you are not seeing the big picture.
No reason to get almost nasty about your feelings
sierrams1123 likes this.
     
    12-30-2011, 12:32 PM
  #67
Banned
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutUpJoe    
Americans don't raise their animals for meat.

Where are you from?
Cause I live in the south and I have been raised raising animals for meat.


Have you never eaten fast food or at a restaurant?
You only eat at home with the meat you get?
I find that really really hard to believe.
wyominggrandma likes this.
     
    12-30-2011, 12:39 PM
  #68
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrams1123    
Where are you from?
Cause I live in the south and I have been raised raising animals for meat.


Have you never eaten fast food or at a restaurant?
You only eat at home with the meat you get?
I find that really really hard to believe.
While I don't find it hard to believe, I know that it just isn't feasible for every American. I live in the city. We are not livestock friendly. I can't raise my own meat animals in my back yard, or I would. It would be amazing to live on a farm where I could oversee what every animal I planned on consuming ate and how they were treated. Truth is, for the vast majority of the suburban community, its just not possible.

As far as horse slaughter goes, this topic has been beat to death. Instead of harping on a forum about how slaughter is evil and every horse dies horrifically, why not try to enforce the regulations? Instead of writing your thoughts and feelings on a board, why not do your best to see that every horse that ends up at the packers is treated fairly and dies as quickly and as painlessly as possible.
     
    12-30-2011, 01:09 PM
  #69
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutUpJoe    
I'm wondering if everyone has come to realize yet that the majority of abandoned horse cases are rejected slaughter horses? It cost less for a shipper to set free the horses that don't make the cut than it does to take them back and feed them. They bring cattle back on the trucks as well so they don't have room for them. So they set them free where they starve to death. Over 5,000 horses didn't make into the Mexican borders and in Texas there have been just slightly above that in cases of abandoned horses.
Cite your sources. I have never heard of this, I would think that if it were true, it would be all over the news. How could a horse not make the cut, so long as it can stand and walk through the production line? I also haven't heard anything on 5,000 unaccounted-for stray horses running around in Texas.

Quote:
Then you've got to think to yourself..do you really want that in your city? The last two plants had continuous drainage problems, the by-products attracted wild animals into the city, it brought down the value of surrounding homes and invited criminals and illegals to come work for them. Not something I want near me.
That may be true, but how would an equine slaughterhouse be any different than a plant for any other animal? It's not like the byproducts of horse slaughter are any different than for the swine, poultry, and beef industries. Any plant problems are the fault of the management, not the institution itself.

Quote:
I do NOT believe in factory farming, period. Call me a bleeding heart radical... call me what you want.. if I am then I am.
I'm opposed to factory farming, too, but you can't really equate horse slaughter with factory farming, given that equines aren't confinement-raised, pumped full of growth hormones, bred specifically for slaughter, etc.
sierrams1123 likes this.
     
    12-30-2011, 01:16 PM
  #70
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutUpJoe    
This is why I left this place.....

Okay firstly, in 2013 EU regulations will not allow any horse over the age of six months that does not have a FULL and complete medical history to be slaughtered. We are sending toxic horse meat that can cause serious illness in children, pregnant mothers and people with compromised immune systems. We slaughter horses that have been treated with MANY substances that are banned for horses intended for slaughter. The same reason why we stopped using horse meat in dog food in the 70s. Why even take that risk?

So in 2013 all the over bred Quarter Horses and Thoroughbreds... etc will not be eligible. What does this mean? Has anyone else noticed that we've had a shortage of hay? Why? Because we are shipping our hay over to Asia in the empty containers that they send their stuff over on. The pro-slaughter groups plan to start breeding slaughter specific horses, partly because they think there will be some huge market for it here even though the majority of Americans would not eat it, which will mean that we will require more hay to feed these animals that shouldn't be here as Americans don't raise their animals for meat. Which will make hay more expensive (even though the price has doubled where I am) and raise the prices on milk, beef and have a reverse effect on the neglect cases. Which is one of the things pro-slaughter claim is a reason we need horse slaughter. Which... is kind of odd because we still have the slaughter option.. it has not went away. I'm wondering if everyone has come to realize yet that the majority of abandoned horse cases are rejected slaughter horses? It cost less for a shipper to set free the horses that don't make the cut than it does to take them back and feed them. They bring cattle back on the trucks as well so they don't have room for them. So they set them free where they starve to death. Over 5,000 horses didn't make into the Mexican borders and in Texas there have been just slightly above that in cases of abandoned horses. I'm not saying it doesn't happen in private homes, I'm just saying that you've got to look at the consequences of horse slaughter.

Then you've got to think to yourself..do you really want that in your city? The last two plants had continuous drainage problems, the by-products attracted wild animals into the city, it brought down the value of surrounding homes and invited criminals and illegals to come work for them. Not something I want near me.

I've seen a few..what's the difference and cows and swine and chickens... Well I've solved that problem for myself. I do NOT eat factory farmed meat. In fact I've been pretty much turned off meat for awhile. I get my meat from a source that individually slaughters their animals as the French video posted. I know the meat is chemical free, I've seen how the animals are treated and how they die. I do NOT believe in factory farming, period. Call me a bleeding heart radical... call me what you want.. if I am then I am.

To the people who say that if this is all that happened in the six days they had the video I'd urge you to view the full report on the ones that were not shown in the video. And I'd love to inform you that the slaughter house in this video is a TEMPLE GRANDIN APPROVED slaughter house! I'd like to tell you that each factory run slaughter house has a failure rate of around 15%. Which means that that percentage of animals is allowed to be inhumanely slaughtered. Allowed to be alive on the bleed out line, allowed to bolted in the head a dozen times, allowed to break a leg in the process, allowed to have foals cut from their bellies. And that is IF they follow procedure! If not...well than more than 15%, or roughly more than 6,000 horses, aren't killed humanely. And I'm sorry... that is not a number I'm okay with. I'm sure that the euthanasia process has far less of a failure rate, especially if you have a vet who knows how to do it right.

Let's go back to the 2013 EU thing. Horse slaughter is a bandaid that holds back the fact that certain people don't think beyond the fact that we are human, therefore we are a superior race and rule all, it is a dumping ground for irresponsibility. Once that bandaid is no longer available to the recreational horse world, due to drug related issues, then we will have to find a solution.

Me? I'm going to continue to fight for the horses. I'll continue to put down factory farming. I'll continue to remind people that we are only temporary guests on this planet (and no I'm NOT religious). We should live how we want, speak up for what we believe in, but be willing to consider the other side. Factory Farmed Slaughter is NOT humane. It's just not. They don't have enough time to individually make certain that each animal is humanely killed. And in the end they stope caring because they want to go to lunch, because they are ready for the day to be over with. They haven't seen that animal born, they haven't raised it from day one.

That's all I have to say and I will say no more. Some people, like Kevinshorses, are so full of your self zealous ideas that you can't see the bigger picture. And in the end that will come to bite some of you in the rear.
I'm confused, if you "left this place" as you claim right there in the first sentence, how did you come to know about and respond to this thread?
To the bolded, -- Pot meet kettle?
sierrams1123 likes this.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Horse to plate video whiskeynoo Horse Law 9 03-30-2011 07:26 PM
*WARNING* Not for the light of heart *WARNING* Graphic - Abuse at Conklin Dairy Farm JustDressageIt General Off Topic Discussion 88 12-08-2010 04:22 PM
Conga (warning: graphic) Emma7442 General Off Topic Discussion 7 06-30-2008 08:31 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0